Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>G-pa, Again!
melissa ann 11:36 AM 08-01-2010
I had my vacation 3 weeks ago. Unpaid. The friday before my vacation I handed out the updated policy handbook with slips for parents to sign.
I have changed the vacation policy for the clients. It was a free week. Now, it's 1/2 of their normal rate for week 1 and additional vacation taken will be at their reg rate.
Well, mom of 2 youngest signed the form. The new handbook is effective Aug 1 -July 31. Now, she told me 2 weeks ago that her two kids will be out this week due to vacation. Okay, fine.
Now, this past monday, g-pa said that this week is a higher rate due to the kids being here everyday, normally it's only 3 days, plus he owes $10 from last week. The amount was $280. he asked since it's an off pay week, if he could pay some much now and then the rest next week. uh, no.
He said he had his car insur blah, blah. He wanted to pay $100 out of $280! Now, 3 weeks ago when I had my vacation they didn't pay anything that week. Doesn't anyone know how to budget anymore? Guess what? Tue he gave $240 he said before he spends it.
So, he still owes $40. Now, he thinks that he only has to pay for his grandson, but, I still expect payment for the other 2. (he pays for all 3 kids, and takes it off his rent to his daughter) Now, on Friday, I did hand out an Aug newsletter in it, I included a copy of July's newsletter stating that the new handbook was out, that I needed everyone to sign, and that there were changes in the policy concerning illness, clients' vacation ( I can't remember what else) So I will expect the full time rate for grandson who will be here this week, the $40 from last week, and 1/2 rate for the other 2 who will be on vacation. I also put in that all parents need to sign the form to continue childcare.
tymaboy 01:27 PM 08-01-2010
IS it just the daughter who signs the contract & then Gpa pays? I think you need to tell the daughter that he needs to read & sign the contract. Do you have a late payment policy as well? If so be sure to charge it untill it is paid in full.
MarinaVanessa 01:33 PM 08-01-2010
Have you directly told G-pa this? He's the one that is paying right? And if I remember correctly your contract is with the daughter? I think this is how it went, my apologies of it isn't .

Let me see if I get it ... you notified them of this change before right? And it is going into effect as of July 31/August 1st. I'm assuming you gave them like a two-week notice or something so mom knew that they would be responsible for paying the new rates when going on vacation right? If this is the case then I agree that you should get what was agreed to by the mom (if she is the one that signed the contract). Did you mention this change to G-pa? I mean I know that he may not be the one you have the contract with but he is the ine that pays. If G-pa doesn't agree to pay this amount you'll have to get the payment from the mom of the kids though, since she's the one you hold the contract with.
melissa ann 02:06 PM 08-01-2010
Gramps is also supposed to sign, as he adopted one of his grandkids (4 1/2 yr old boy) So he's really responsible for just him. The other 2 kids, are his daughter's. But he pays for everyone and takes it off his rent for his apt. because daughter never paid him back from childcare. He never signs anything. I've been throught this before with him when he went on subsidy, I had a form for him to sign about payments. I also changed the late fee to $10/day instead of $5.
I gave EACH of them a handbook/slip to sign on July 9.
They also know that in July I update the handbook.
MarinaVanessa 05:45 PM 08-01-2010
Sounds to me like G-pa is just trying to make things hard for you. I remember that you were trying to get him to sign a contract for the child he adopted ... he still hasn't signed the contract??? If not I would deffinetely insist that he sign it immediately ... as in I'm not taking the child until you do.

Grrr ... some people, I swear.
melissa ann 04:51 PM 08-05-2010
Well, at pick-up I handed the slip for amount owed. I get a message from gramps to call. I knew what it was going to be about. I called and he wanted to know about fee for the 2 kids who are on vacation. He was like, I thought they get a free week. He then mentioned last years handbook. He said that if I keep adding charges he will have to find someone else. (I almost said, good luck.) I told him that I handed out the new handbook July 9 and that his daughter signed the form and that I sent out numerous reminders about signing and about the new handbook. He said, he will pay for one of the kids that is out on vacation but not for 2. Now, 1/2 of their normal week, is $27 per child.
His daughter, boyfriend and daughters kids are 7 hrs away on their vacation.. Last night, gramps picked up boyfriends kid and drove 2 hrs while his daughter/boyfriend then drove 5 hrs to pick up the other kid. How insane is that? How much gas did that take for gramps gas guzzler?
I told gramps on the phone, that I know other providers who charge for holidays, providers days off, etc. I did not raise the rate, so all they are paying is an extra $27 per kid for their vacation if they take one week.
tymaboy 05:27 AM 08-06-2010
If it were me (& if I am reading it right) I would not take the kids until it is paid in full. I would be to the point that I do not care if they find someone else. My sanity is more important to me then all the BS Gpa is.
melissa ann 04:53 PM 08-06-2010
I really don't care if they leave. I sent home a letter w/him tonight. I stated that when newsletters and other notices get sent home, it is the parents responsibilty to read them. Every July I update the handbook which goes in effect Aug 1 and runs through July 31.
July 9: july newsletter handed out outlining some of the policy changes, the handbook, and form to sign. One set went with boy that lives w/gramps, and the other set went with the siblings. (Name of g-pa's daughter here, signed and return her form.)
July 22: reminder about all parents needing to sign the form for the new handbook.
July 30: Aug newsletter sent out, along with pasting july's newsletter w/it.
So there have been numerous reminders about the changes.
To think that there can never be any reason for changes, seems unrealistic to me.
As things come up, I have to evaluate what, if anything needs to be changed. I don't take this lightly. I get advice from other childcare providers and parents that I know to find out what they think is fair/unfair.
I have not raised my rates, holidays, my vacation and days off are still not charged. I am running a business, and expenses do go up. Nothing I can do about that.
If you have not read the new handbook, I urge you to do so. There are changes in the illness policy, scheduling, late payments, late drop-offs, clients vacation,etc. Feel free to check out other childcare providers on their policies. I can tell you that most have pay inadvanced, flat weekly rate that does not change if there is a holiday or child misses a day for any reason, have a min of 2 weeks notice of schedules if it varies.
If I am no longer a good fit for your family and/or budget, I understand. However, I have a 2 week notice policy which payment is due whether or not child(ren) are in my care.
Signed my name.

My daugher is starting kindergarten this month. Mon and Wed they are giving tours of the school, Mon it's in the morning, Wed in the afternoon, I told gramps that on tue so I need to know if I need to find someone to fill in for me for like an hour. Do I know the schedule? No. Did I get the full amount owed? No. He was short $24.
thatgagirl 05:00 PM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I really don't care if they leave. I sent home a letter w/him tonight. I stated that when newsletters and other notices get sent home, it is the parents responsibilty to read them. Every July I update the handbook which goes in effect Aug 1 and runs through July 31.
July 9: july newsletter handed out outlining some of the policy changes, the handbook, and form to sign. One set went with boy that lives w/gramps, and the other set went with the siblings. (Name of g-pa's daughter here, signed and return her form.)
July 22: reminder about all parents needing to sign the form for the new handbook.
July 30: Aug newsletter sent out, along with pasting july's newsletter w/it.
So there have been numerous reminders about the changes.
To think that there can never be any reason for changes, seems unrealistic to me.
As things come up, I have to evaluate what, if anything needs to be changed. I don't take this lightly. I get advice from other childcare providers and parents that I know to find out what they think is fair/unfair.
I have not raised my rates, holidays, my vacation and days off are still not charged. I am running a business, and expenses do go up. Nothing I can do about that.
If you have not read the new handbook, I urge you to do so. There are changes in the illness policy, scheduling, late payments, late drop-offs, clients vacation,etc. Feel free to check out other childcare providers on their policies. I can tell you that most have pay inadvanced, flat weekly rate that does not change if there is a holiday or child misses a day for any reason, have a min of 2 weeks notice of schedules if it varies.
If I am no longer a good fit for your family and/or budget, I understand. However, I have a 2 week notice policy which payment is due whether or not child(ren) are in my care.
Signed my name.

My daugher is starting kindergarten this month. Mon and Wed they are giving tours of the school, Mon it's in the morning, Wed in the afternoon, I told gramps that on tue so I need to know if I need to find someone to fill in for me for like an hour. Do I know the schedule? No. Did I get the full amount owed? No. He was short $24.
I honestly think you just need to be done with him. I have read all your threads, and it seems like you are just not a good fit together. You have put up with FAR more than I would have! Did you call him to address the $24 he shorted you?
Crystal 05:06 PM 08-06-2010
If he is taking the amount he pays to you off of rent to his daughter, I would simply tell Mom, in writing, that your contract is with her. That from here on out, you will expect payment from HER. GPa is not the parent. He should pay his rent, and then MOM can pay you for HER child care services. You shouldn't be dealing with gpa.
Tags:grandparents
Reply Up