Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Best Interview Ever
mrsnj 06:51 AM 10-15-2013
I had an interview over the weekend that I just know you guys would love to hear about! I came highly recommended by another current client. I will have to remember some special way to thank him

They arrived and within one minute I took an instant dislike to the DCD. He came across as arrogant and a little condescending. Mom was nice though. I spoke in greeting with them and the child and the child took off his shoes and ran off with my DD.

Issue 1. Was there stairs? Cause he could fall on the stairs. (child is four BTW). So we talk about how we go down the stairs to the playroom and off they go.

2. I have dogs!? He might be allergic to dogs. I ask if he has allergies and they say no. But he could. So.....no allergies at all let alone to dogs but he may one day be. Maybe.

3. What if he doesn't want to nap. Everyone is to lay down I tell them. But he isn't used to naps. He will adjust I tell them. We have rules and he will learn to follow them as the other children do. This results in a snort from dad. (yes. he snorted at me)

4. My yard isn't fenced in? No. Didn't the other family explain my set up? Well yes. So. No.... I do not have a fence. No one is around me. It is quiet here. I am with the children. But what if he decides to (I am not joking here) CHASE A CAR. I wanted to say I have a dog leash I could use but I was good!! LOL Instead I explained again that we have rules and boundaries. DCB will learn them. He won't listen I am told. Not listening results in loss of privilege. I believe he will learn what is expected of him. Another snort.

5.Is my cabinets and shelves tightly bolted down? I just looked at them since they said nothing more after the question and asked if he was a climber. Yes. He will climb up things to get anything he wants. He goes in cabinets and the fridge and will go up shelves to get things. I am standing there in amazement. Does this child have NO boundaries as all? He just does as he pleases and they permit it?

6. There is a trampoline!! OMG they have a trampoline!!!!! OMG!! (not even going to comment here)

7. Here is the best one....break out the popcorn cause this one is good.....do I change the babies in front of DCB? I said, well, if we all are in the same room and someone needs changing, it does happen. *gasp* OMG you CHANGE them in front of him??? What if he sees you changing a baby and then starts peeing in his pants! (I. Swear. To. God. They said this. If only I could show you the facial expressions that went with it, it would make this story all the more special. Envision hands over mouth, eyes bugged out and rolling all over). I explained that normally this doesn't happen. After all, what do older children with younger siblings do? Most do not resort to peeing and pooping in their pants simply because they see a baby. Are they sure that the current DCfamily explained my set up to them?

8. Do I turn on Sesame Street here? Cause he is so brilliant that he simply cannot watch Sesame Street. It is too below him. I explain how we do not have the tv on during the day. Oh thats good. He will watch anything but Sesame Street cause he is just too smart for it. So I ask does he know his numbers, letters, etc? Oh no. Not much of any of that. DCM tries to teach him but he tells her "no mommy!" and changes the subject after getting mad. It is simply because he is so advanced that he doesn't want to be bothered. (Has nothing to do with the possibility that it is to HARD for him and so he tries to change the subject and avoid learning activities instead? Noooooo) And if the child was so advanced, why do you talk baby talk to him the whole time? Heck. I dont even talk to my babies here like that let alone a 4 yr old!

The meeting ended with toys all over the floor that he was not directed to clean up and a lovely temper tantrum of yelling and telling his parents NO and telling his mother he hated her of which it was rewarded with a trip with Daddy to the store to get him to leave.

There was more. Hooooooooooooooooooooooo so much more.

I cannot understand how parents would be so concerned about cabinets bolted to the wall and yet give their child no boundaries and rules. If you were so protective that they were concerned with stairs, fences and shelves then wouldn't you be protective and give boundaries? It would seem not. I think they are more concerned cause they allow him to do whatever he wants and pray he doesn't get killed in the process. It is better to bolt everything down than to tell him no.

I left them with parting words that I got from here........ "I have another interview for the same position. I will let you know" and closed the door. Then looked at my husband who was all but rolling on the floor laughing!

Thanks DCD for the interview and recommendation. I will reward you with something like...oh....maybe slashed tires or maybe egg your house on trick or treat!
Tags:interview, interview - from heaven
Up