Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worried About My Cat...
newtodaycare22 02:33 PM 08-13-2010
I open on Monday (SO excited ) and honestly, my biggest concern right now is my cat! She's not used to seeing kids and the ones that have come to visit...well, she has not been welcoming! Even when I have them slowly put their finger out to let her sniff, she sometimes swats at them I can't imagine 3-5 year olds actually avoiding her when she's just so cute...but I feel like I just may have to tell them stay away (or lock her up). Any advice? She is very affectionate towards my husband and I but I know she is scared. Unfortunately, a parent will not care about scared when their kid gets scratched. Thanks!
Jewels 03:08 PM 08-13-2010
You might have to lock her up, during the day, But she may just hide on her own, I have two cats, And one has never really liked kids, having two myself, he never bothered them, So I figured I would see how it goes after I opened a year ago, we were going to give him one chance, and if he didnt do good, we were going to lock huiim up or get rid of him, And we have had no problems, Because he will not come out during the day with kids around, I never see the cat til my husband and I go to bed, and when I do see him, He has actually become tolerant of the children, And the older children just kind of sense to stay away from that cat, and if any of the little ones come near him, He takes off really fast! He never used to run from kids, When my niece came over before I had children, He stalked her, and almost attacked her, So I was concerned, and still if he ever makes one move to be mean, He will be gone.
MN Mom 04:21 PM 08-13-2010
Cats instinctivly hide when they feel their space is being invaded. The cat will either remain hidden during daycare hours or slowly warm up to the kids. I honestly wouldn't worry about it =) If she does become agressive, however, you can by a large dog kennel and put some blankets and food/water inside to accomidate her.
tymaboy 04:47 PM 08-13-2010
When a child starts in my care they are not allowed to touch the pets until I have worked with the child to see what their personalty is & how ruff or gentle they are. Some kids are allowed to touch the pets before others are & depending on the mood of the pet on a particular day they may not be allowed to touch them at all. I have 3 cats & a dog. The one cat I have no problem with them touch, she will go & rub up on the kids when she wants attention. One cat that will play with the kids but wont let them get close enough for them to touch. The last cat will sit & watch them but stay out of reach completely. The dog has his days where he doesnt mind the kids petting him but other days that he lets a grunt to let me know that he is not in the mood.

With the cat you are discribing I would start off by letting the cat get used to kids being in care before allowing them to touch it. That way the cat does not act out in other ways to let you know that it is not happy.
misol 08:23 PM 08-13-2010
I don't have any advice on the cat issue but I just wanted to say congratulatons on opening and best of luck
Abigail 08:24 PM 08-13-2010
Just make sure your cat has a hiding place to go like under the bed or in another part of the house without freaking out from baby gates that the cat has never seen. I don't have any children of my own, but I do have three kids which are, of course, my cats! When I have children come over though, they steer clear until they're comfortable and they have many places to hide. I only have to worry about our girl cat because she has claws and swats when she is done playing and runs off....weird little girl. The two boy cats we have are extremely gentle even though they all have claws, you would never know because they're so gentle. I'm more worried about the kids getting licked by my cat than anything though, lol, our big boy cat has an obsessive licking disorder. He licks the floor, wall, your sock, you name it!
jenh171 08:45 PM 08-13-2010
congratulations & good luck on monday!
newtodaycare22 02:09 PM 08-14-2010
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will try the approach of telling them no touching for the first week...and see if Rascal adapts to them. If she comes in the room and seems ok, then we can discuss the petting issue. Thanks again!
Francine 03:30 PM 08-14-2010
I have one cat, she usually hides/sleeps all day but depending on which kids are here she might make an appearance. She just senses that one of my 1yr olds is trouble, her senses are very good She will come out when the other kids are here but if she see's him she just turns around and goes back to her room.
safechner 04:36 PM 08-14-2010
I rather lock her up while the daycare kids in your care. Trust me, you dont want to deal with your daycare parents if they are freak out if their kids got scratched by your cat. Some parents dont mind and some parents do mind. It depends. I know a lot of kids will like to pet your cat. It happened to me once. When I was 4 years old, I went outside to play and I saw one black cat because I used to love the cats. I decided I want to pet her/him very slowly but somehow he/she scratched my arm for no reason. I cried and went home. My mother put band aid on it. That is how I started hate cats ever since.
Chickenhauler 04:54 PM 08-14-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
Cats instinctivly hide when they feel their space is being invaded. The cat will either remain hidden during daycare hours or slowly warm up to the kids. I honestly wouldn't worry about it =) If she does become agressive, however, you can by a large dog kennel and put some blankets and food/water inside to accomidate her.
Yup, most cats are smart enough that they'll bug out if they're not comfortable with a situation, and won't allow themselves to be handled or put in a spot they're not feeling safe.

Our cat in the house hates everyone equally, and won't leave the basement, and if anyone comes down there, she hides behind things on the shelf. Scares the crap out of you when you do see her, since she's about the size and color of a raccoon.
Abigail 05:56 PM 08-14-2010
I should have asked if you made a spot in your contract mentioning you have a cat. You wouldn't want to overlook the fact if a child or baby comes into your care and is allergic. You also need to decide if you would keep the cat in an area of the house during daycare hours if they are allergic OR if you would terminate care with a paid two-week notice, etc if they became allergic. Some families don't even have pets at home, so they may be unaware the child has allergies and all pets are different.

I will never "lock up" my cats, I would rather find another family because each of my cats are just as much as a family member as my husband. LOL
I do keep a very clean house and people comment saying you wouldn't even know I have cats because I dust and vacuum and keep things well organized and under control. The exception: Depending on my house setup, I would offer to keep my cats in a separate portion of my house but could never keep them in just a bedroom and they never go outside and they would never be allowed in the sleeping room.
newtodaycare22 07:37 PM 08-14-2010
Yes, my contract includes a section about the cat. All parents are aware and say it is fine...I'm just worried for my own sake. I agree about locking her though -it would be hard because she's one of my babies.
Tags:cats
Reply Up