Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone else ever feel overwhelmed?
Christina72684 08:35 AM 01-08-2015
I don't know why, but everything seems to be bothering me right now....

I'm trying to make work schedules for 6 people total for the rest of January and they all want a lot of hours and certain days off and certain shifts, and I just can't make everyone happy. Plus 3 of my workers don't get along with 1 of them (who's been here for 2.5 years so she's got seniority, but she's also got an attitude and speaks out of line sometimes). Then this nasty stomach bug is going around our area and all 5 of my employees have had to take anywhere from 1-4 days off because of it (2 of them at the same time right now, which is making things really difficult). Luckily, knock on wood, I haven't gotten it yet! Then I had a DCM come in and demand something this morning out of nowhere (Her kid was running a month ago and fell and hit his head on a corner of a table. She wanted to know what procedures we were doing right now to fix the table. I wanted to say "The procedure I am doing is every time your son runs he sits down and counts to 20" but I didn't). I'm also transitioning 3 kids up from the infant/toddler building to my preschool, and they aren't listening. Plus on Monday I'll have a new kid starting that has issues walking, so I'm super nervous about that. None of this is big stuff and if it was all at separate times it probably wouldn't bother me. But happening all at once it's just hitting me hard. I even cried while making spaghetti today
SquirrellyMama 08:44 AM 01-08-2015
Sounds frustrating. I'm always more overwhelmed in the winter.

Kelly
Unregistered 09:04 AM 01-08-2015
Oh (((hugs))). It always seems to pile up all at once doesn't it? I'm overwhelmed and don't have half as much to think about. As for schedules, do your best but you can't please everyone so don't kill yourself trying. Any chance you could sneak out for a five minute walk or drive to clear your head a little/ calm and refocus?
Blackcat31 09:33 AM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I don't know why, but everything seems to be bothering me right now....

I'm trying to make work schedules for 6 people total for the rest of January and they all want a lot of hours and certain days off and certain shifts, and I just can't make everyone happy.
Once you realize that and accept it the better.
Stop trying to make everyone happy.

Plus 3 of my workers don't get along with 1 of them (who's been here for 2.5 years so she's got seniority, but she's also got an attitude and speaks out of line sometimes).
I would DEMAND professionalism at ALL times. Who cares if someone likes or doesn't like someone? They are hired to perform a job NOT bring their personal lives to work.

I would remove myself from any of that drama and insist that your employees act professionally at ALL times, or leave. You don't need to deal with the fall out of reality TV live in your child care.

Then this nasty stomach bug is going around our area and all 5 of my employees have had to take anywhere from 1-4 days off because of it (2 of them at the same time right now, which is making things really difficult). Luckily, knock on wood, I haven't gotten it yet!
It's just that time of year. Make sure you have plenty of back up staff and require a Dr's slip/note from employees verifying they are actually sick if you have any inkling that they may be lying about it to get out of work.

Then I had a DCM come in and demand something this morning out of nowhere (Her kid was running a month ago and fell and hit his head on a corner of a table. She wanted to know what procedures we were doing right now to fix the table. I wanted to say "The procedure I am doing is every time your son runs he sits down and counts to 20" but I didn't).
Do not allow a parent to demand anything. You are a professional. State to mom that she may schedule a time to discuss the issue in private at a time in which you are available to discuss it. If it's none of her business, tell her.

It also sound like maybe this kid (if it's the same one from your other post) is simply not a good fit for your program and may not be worth keeping liability wise.

I'm also transitioning 3 kids up from the infant/toddler building to my preschool, and they aren't listening. Plus on Monday I'll have a new kid starting that has issues walking, so I'm super nervous about that. None of this is big stuff and if it was all at separate times it probably wouldn't bother me. But happening all at once it's just hitting me hard. I even cried while making spaghetti today
It can be overwhelming for sure when so many things happen at once but take a deep breath and count to 10. Admit AND accept that you are only one person and can only do so much at one time.

Tackle those things that require immediate attention and get the rest done when you can. It will save your sanity and your emotional well being.

Christina72684 09:36 AM 01-08-2015
Thank you everyone. I try to talk to my husband or friend about things like this, but they just don't get it like you all do
Reply Up