Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Is It Babies Can't Sleep In Swings?
godiva83 08:03 AM 07-05-2012
Okay, so this may seem like kind of a question I really should no the answer to BUT LOL I don't and google is giving a lot of different reasons.
I have never accepted infants in my care, children have to be 1yr and up.
Anyway, why is it that infants shouldn't sleep in a swing or bouncing chair? Is it because of asphyxiation or state rules and regulations?
I am the proud new owner of a beautiful baby boy who doesn't like to sleep and needs constant motion so was wondering why is it that they can't sleep in a swing.
Thanks
sharlan 08:12 AM 07-05-2012
In the past, I've always let my babies sleep in swings, bouncy seats, etc, but with all the talk here about positional asphyxia I'm not sure I would do it anymore.
daycare 08:12 AM 07-05-2012
I was told because it could compress the babies chest and lower the oxygen level for babies to breathe.
Heidi 08:12 AM 07-05-2012
1. It's a crutch that is hard to break later. When you have a 6 month old that outgrows the swing, it'll be even harder to train him to a crib.

2. I think it's called "positional asphysia" (sp), meaning they are all folded into themselves, and can't get proper breaths.

I feel for you...all 4 of my children slept on their tummies, even though with my last 2, back-to-sleep was starting to be encouraged (my first one had siezures, and they told us tummy or side). I tried to lay them on their backs, , but they fussed and fussed. Rolled 'em over, and they slept. Since they were my own children, I took the risk (and again, at that time, it was only encouraged, not insisted). I would never do that with a dc child, and would be reluctant to enroll a child under 6 months of age.
cheerfuldom 08:43 AM 07-05-2012
agree with Heidi plus some states regulate the use of baby equipment and do not allow these items to be used at all, or not for sleeping.
missjenny 10:34 AM 07-05-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
agree with Heidi plus some states regulate the use of baby equipment and do not allow these items to be used at all, or not for sleeping.
Yep. In my state no bouncers or walkers or swings of any sort for babies.
countrymom 10:42 AM 07-05-2012
old wives tale. None of my kids slept in a swing (carseat only when we were on the road) but my mom told me that it knocks their brains around. Don't know if this is true, but I avoided it.

look at it this way, babies are so use to motion because you carry them for 9 months and you are constantly in motion, they are so accustomed to it. I bought a sling and carried my ydd around.
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 07-05-2012
Originally Posted by godiva83:
Okay, so this may seem like kind of a question I really should no the answer to BUT LOL I don't and google is giving a lot of different reasons.
I have never accepted infants in my care, children have to be 1yr and up.
Anyway, why is it that infants shouldn't sleep in a swing or bouncing chair? Is it because of asphyxiation or state rules and regulations?
I am the proud new owner of a beautiful baby boy who doesn't like to sleep and needs constant motion so was wondering why is it that they can't sleep in a swing.
Thanks
Congratulations on your new little one!!

As far as not sleeping in swings, they do make something that connects to a crib or PNP or bassinet that vibrates or jiggles the crib so the baby can have htat much wanted motion or sensation and yet still sleep in a super safe space.

Kind of like this http://www.breastisbest.com/browsepr...b-Soother.HTML
godiva83 12:59 PM 07-05-2012
Thanks everyone, I guess it's avoided for a reason and I just won't risk it! But, I will continue to use them for a break here and there and keep an eye on breathing.
Thanks black cat that is exactly what I need.
sharlan 01:14 PM 07-05-2012
Originally Posted by missjenny:
Yep. In my state no bouncers or walkers or swings of any sort for babies.
Swings ARE legal in CA.
Jenniferdawn 06:46 PM 07-07-2012
I thought they were legal here. Are babies allowed to sleep in them in CA?
Nickel 07:12 PM 07-07-2012
When i worked at a cdc we would put the babies in the cribs and literally stand there and gently shake the crib or rock it back and forth. this helped the babies that were used to being held or rocked to sleep. and you can do two cribs at once especially if they have wheels lol... Eventually the babies got used to sleepng on their own and it was no longer needed.
Blackcat31 08:53 AM 07-08-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Swings ARE legal in CA.
Originally Posted by Jenniferdawn:
I don't think it matters if using swings are legal or not....Please do NOT allow a baby to sleep in a swing EVER!!

It is a really dangerous practice and why put yourself in that position as a provider or parent? Way too much risk and liability.

The CPSC says ALL infants should sleep on a firm surface on their backs meant for sleeping. Swings are NOT meant for sleeping. Swings are meant for entertainment purposes ONLY.

Great thread about this topic:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36625

Good handout about this topic:
http://www.babywearingschool.com/Pos...phyxiation.pdf
sharlan 06:56 PM 07-08-2012
Yes, they are legal, just not a good place for a baby to sleep. Yes, I have let numerous babies sleep in swings. BUT, that was before I had ever heard of positional asphyxia. I will no longer allow that to happen.

Great handout, Blackcat. I am printing that off.
hwichlaz 08:27 AM 08-31-2017
Positional asphyxiation. It's NOT a risk in every swing, but it's easier to just make them all against the rules rather than have licensing research every model. My swing lays down almost flat. I have a doctor's and OT's note for one baby to sleep in it. She has microcephaly and she doesn't swallow her saliva. She'd drown laying flat on her back and can't stay on her side well enough yet...though we're getting there.
MarinaVanessa 09:17 AM 08-31-2017
Swings are legal in CA, babies can't sleep in them.
The way it goes is
No bouncers
No excersaucers
Yes swings, only when awake
Yes cribs/pack'n'plays, only when sleeping
Yes highchairs, only when eating

Another reason why they have the "no sleeping babies" rules for swings is that they don't want the babies to be in them all day. They wants babies to have freedom to move around and explore instead of being parked in a swing/highchair/crib etc.
hwichlaz 09:40 AM 08-31-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Swings are legal in CA, babies can't sleep in them.
The way it goes is
No bouncers
No excersaucers
Yes swings, only when awake
Yes cribs/pack'n'plays, only when sleeping
Yes highchairs, only when eating

Another reason why they have the "no sleeping babies" rules for swings is that they don't want the babies to be in them all day. They wants babies to have freedom to move around and explore instead of being parked in a swing/highchair/crib etc.
do you have the reg for the no playpen while awake? I've used playpens as a safe place to scoot around and play for my non-mobile infants for ages, with my licensor never saying a word.
hwichlaz 11:23 AM 08-31-2017
you know...I'm kinda wondering if this is a center vs home care reg difference for California.

In home care many things must serve double purpose.

Play Yards get used as a safe place for babies to play outside and inside. High chairs get used as art chairs. A high chair tray is a perfect place for a younger child just starting to use art supplies...they can have their own space to create without painting their neighbor's clothing or body, or painting on someone else's paper etc. In a center, where children are grouped by age these things aren't as much of an issue.
Tags:2012, death - explaining, death at daycare, infants, positional asphyxia, swings, swings for sleep
Reply Up