Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Does This Sound?
Lucy 07:18 PM 02-27-2013
Ok, so I'm very premature in writing this letter. My ad doesn't even go in the paper until next Wednesday to try and replace this family. But I have high hopes that I'll get replacements. As soon as I do, my current PITA family is getting the following term letter. I'm really nervous to give it to them. We've had a good social relationship, and I've never really complained about their hours dwindling down, so it's gonna look like this is out of left field. I actually really like both the parents as people, and their kids are fine. I had some struggles with the 4 yr old when she first started, but we seem to be past that now. Anyway, tell me what ya think:

Dear [DCP,]

In order to budget for our household and living expenses, I have always tried to keep my Daycare enrollment at six kids -- three of whom are full time, and three of whom go to school, but are here full time during school holidays and the summer. I was so glad when your family came along, because your schedule seemed to fit my openings perfectly.

When your children were initially enrolled, the nature of our contract was that your children would occupy close-to full time slots. As their Daycare enrollment continued, however, their hours were changed up and down on several occasions, but mostly down.

In light of [Mom's] recent disclosure that [Dad] is to soon begin swing-shift hours, I have to reluctantly inform you that I will no longer be able to meet your child care needs, and will have to fill your two Daycare slots with families who are in need of full time, or closer to full time care.

This letter will serve as your two weeks notice. Your contract with [My Daycare] will end on [don't know when yet!], 2013.

It has been a pleasure getting to know you and your children. I wish you much luck in your efforts to find quality child care. May I suggest contacting [our] County's Child Care Resource and Referral department. Their number is ***-***-****. They will be able to put you in touch with State-licensed child care Providers in the area. Also, the [local] weekly newspaper has ads for child care in its classified ads section.

Again, my regards to your family, and I wish you the best.

[Me]
butterfly 07:28 PM 02-27-2013
I don't mean to be harsh, but I wouldn't get into so much detail in your letter. I would just say that you are needing to fill your spots with full time clients due to financial reasons and give them the option to take the full time spots or effective xx you will no longer be able to provide care for them.

I think it would be fine to share all the other details with them, but I would do that in person, not in a letter. Maybe do that now, giving them the option of going full time and staying.
Lucy 07:34 PM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I don't mean to be harsh, but I wouldn't get into so much detail in your letter. I would just say that you are needing to fill your spots with full time clients due to financial reasons and give them the option to take the full time spots or effective xx you will no longer be able to provide care for them.

I think it would be fine to share all the other details with them, but I would do that in person, not in a letter. Maybe do that now, giving them the option of going full time and staying.
Yes, I see the merit in that. I will give it some thought. But the friendly, more personal approach is just kind of how I roll. I tend to be less than a staunch professional at times. It just feels more natural to me. But you do make a good point. Thanks for the input.
2 young 2 feel this old 07:52 PM 02-27-2013
I usually go with a more "friendly" approach as well, however when giving bad news I have found shorter is better, it gives DCPs less to argue about later. Could you say that you have really enjoyed working with their family but you need full-time clients? Then give them the option to stay as full time or give them notice?
blandino 08:00 PM 02-27-2013
I take the same approach, and I would say all you've written verbally, but as for the letter I would say something like

"Dear DCF,

Due to your families change in enrollment status over the past _______ (amount of time they have been with you), I will no longer be able to provide care for the hours you need. This letter will serve as your two week notice
This letter will serve as your two weeks notice. Your contract with [My Daycare] will end on [don't know when yet!], 2013.

It has been a pleasure getting to know you and your children. I wish you much luck in your efforts to find quality child care. May I suggest contacting [our] County's Child Care Resource and Referral department. Their number is ***-***-****. They will be able to put you in touch with State-licensed child care Providers in the area. Also, the [local] weekly newspaper has ads for child care in its classified ads section.

I would keep the letter short and sweet. Tom Copeland says to keep the letter to a bare minimum. I would definitely verbally say everything you have written though.
NeedaVaca 04:55 AM 02-28-2013
I think it's way too long, you could lose the entire 1st two paragraphs Less is more!
daycare123 07:40 AM 02-28-2013
would you offer them to go more full time first?
Lucy 09:44 AM 02-28-2013
They barely scrape by now, so there's no way they could afford to pay for full time. When she has talked about hubby going to swing shift, she said they were talking about how it might actually be a good thing for various reasons, and one of the reasons on the list was "cheaper for daycare".

I will work on shortening the letter. You're probably right. I do tend to over-explain so that I don't come off as cold-hearted. I'll probably summon up the courage (from somewhere ?) and tell her in person that I just can't afford to use up her slots for so much less than full time kids, then hand her a more succinct letter.

I hate this part of the job!

Thanks gals.
BumbleBee 12:02 PM 03-03-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
They barely scrape by now, so there's no way they could afford to pay for full time. When she has talked about hubby going to swing shift, she said they were talking about how it might actually be a good thing for various reasons, and one of the reasons on the list was "cheaper for daycare".

I will work on shortening the letter. You're probably right. I do tend to over-explain so that I don't come off as cold-hearted. I'll probably summon up the courage (from somewhere ?) and tell her in person that I just can't afford to use up her slots for so much less than full time kids, then hand her a more succinct letter.

I hate this part of the job!

Thanks gals.
Good luck &

Let us know how it goes!
cheerfuldom 07:29 PM 03-03-2013
you have to do what you have to do.

your responsibility is towards your family. she will have to figure out the job situation, finances and dayare on her end.

as we always say here, dont make her problems become your problems. do we sympathize? yes. can we provide a few other resources or numbers? maybe. its nice if you can. but should we continue in a bad financial situation ourselves because of someone elses personal life? no!

i am positive none of these parents would pay you more because of a personal need to make more money. so why would we continue to give discounts and miss needed hours because of their personal need?
Reply Up