Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Grits
Josiegirl 03:33 PM 10-07-2018
I have to admit I've led a very sheltered life. Today is the first day I've ever tried grits. Evidently 1 of my dcgs loves grits so I bought some. I'm not crazy about them. All I did was cook them and throw a little real maple syrup on them. TG for the maple syrup.
Those of you who eat them and/or serve them to your kiddos, how do you cook them and serve them? Are they better with cheese?
Michael 04:25 PM 10-07-2018
Grits is one of the staples of traditional American foods. The dish came from a Native American Muskogee tribe's recipe in the 16th century, of Indian corn. Three-quarters of grits sold in the U.S. are bought in the South in what is sometimes called the "grits belt".
BumbleBee 08:08 PM 10-07-2018
I'm right there with you on the sheltered life. I've heard of grits but have never tried them or even know what they are. Needless to say I have never made them. I have branched out into couscous and quinoa though so there is that. The kids love couscous, the quinoa wasn't as popular.
Aussiedaycare 09:59 PM 10-07-2018
This is so weird - I was just reading a post on Facebook about someone trying Grits and how to eat them and I desperately wanted to ask what on earth are grits? I was to embarrassed to ask and then I read it on here so I have decided to ask - what are grits???
Mike 10:55 PM 10-07-2018
Originally Posted by Aussiedaycare:
This is so weird - I was just reading a post on Facebook about someone trying Grits and how to eat them and I desperately wanted to ask what on earth are grits? I was to embarrassed to ask and then I read it on here so I have decided to ask - what are grits???
I don't know either, but will post again in a few minutes.
Mike 11:04 PM 10-07-2018
From Wikipedia:
Originally Posted by :
Grits is a food made from corn (maize) that is ground into a coarse meal and then boiled. It is similar to an oatmeal like corn soup.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

Sounds like something I might like. I like things like oatmeal, cream of wheat, and rice, so would probably like this too.
Josiegirl 02:32 AM 10-08-2018
I love oatmeal, and other hot cereals and grits will get eaten, too, as soon as I figure out how to doctor them up. Or I'll give the rest of them to my dcm.

Or I'll wait until my dd comes to visit at Christmastime; her boyfriend is a southern gentleman through and through and loves grits.
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 10-08-2018
The only time I had ever heard of grits was in reference to southern cooking/foods. I've seen instant grits available at hotels at breakfast but I'd never tried them...my kids did but said they weren't that great. I know they on every menu in the south but way up here in the north grits just aren't common at all.

I've never eaten fried green tomatoes, collard greens, succotash, hush puppies or chow chow before but I am pretty sure we eat stuff in my neck of the woods that others have probably never had either such as wild rice, Swedish meatballs, lefse, lutefisk, Juicy Lucys or tator tot hotdish.
Josiegirl 10:01 AM 10-08-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The only time I had ever heard of grits was in reference to southern cooking/foods. I've seen instant grits available at hotels at breakfast but I'd never tried them...my kids did but said they weren't that great. I know they on every menu in the south but way up here in the north grits just aren't common at all.

I've never eaten fried green tomatoes, collard greens, succotash, hush puppies or chow chow before but I am pretty sure we eat stuff in my neck of the woods that others have probably never had either such as wild rice, Swedish meatballs, lefse, lutefisk, Juicy Lucys or tator tot hotdish.
Oh now Hush Puppies, there is a food from the gods. So yummy! And all they are, are like deep fried mush. But so addictive.
CalCare unlogged 12:33 PM 10-08-2018
Grits are the number one best comfort food. I grew up in South Carolina. Part of my childhood. My mom was from Atlanta. So yeah, that's what everyone eats every morning. Eggs and grits. No one really makes grits correctly at restaurants here in CA. You can use not instant, but "quick" grits. Put the grits and water in the pot at the same time, turn on the stove top to medium, right when it starts to boil, cover, turn down to low and cook for 6 minutes totalust serve with toast for dipping. And normally always a friend egg with a drippy yolk that you would miss with the grits. Also a part of butter and a somewhat lot of salt on the grits. Also, the trendy thing now is yellow grits, often with garlic. It's delicious but not traditional. When the grits get cold and harden a little, you can see the similarities to polenta. Also it's considered or crime against the south to put foreign objects like cheese or bacon pieces or anything like that inside the grits while making. If on your plate, fine do whatever. But grits are expected to be a nice white puddle of salt and butter. You mix your own friend egg into it. Lol it's southern food, you really aren't supposed to change it up because Southerners love tradition. I had an amazing yellow coconut grits that we're apparently a style from Indonesia or something like that, now I forget unfortunately. But it was fantastic. Kinda opened my eyes to how plain traditional grits really are. But for food you grew up with, you don't want it to change! Albers Quick grits. Bring to boil, low covered for 6 min. Don't over stir. 🤗
Aussiedaycare 02:01 PM 10-08-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

We have wild rice here but it isn't common, other than that all those words were unknown to me
amberrose3dg 09:07 AM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by Aussiedaycare:
We have wild rice here but it isn't common, other than that all those words were unknown to me
If grits are made right they are yummy! The instant stuff not so much.
I suggest anyone if you ever see shrimp and grits on a menu at a restaurant to try it. They are good with cheese and have to of been cooked in enough butter and salt. If not they are not very good. You cannot really add the butter and salt later and expect them to be good. Just my opinion.
Cat Herder 09:40 AM 10-09-2018
I serve and eat grits all the time. Maple syrup on grits would be like BBQ sauce on scrambled eggs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=b-StpGe-Dn4

Also: Shrimp -N-Grits is one of my party favorites: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...entType=Search
Aussiedaycare 01:40 PM 10-09-2018
Okay! Understanding more now! It's something you buy and cook with not something you make with something else

I thought it was like you buy oats, cook them and turn them into porridge. But you buy grits and it makes grits. We don't have anything here like that, we also don't have your Monteray Jack cheese which I also thought looks interesting, also your Goldfish crackers and biscuits and gravy and Jalepenos seem to go in everything in America
Josiegirl 02:34 PM 10-10-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I serve and eat grits all the time. Maple syrup on grits would be like BBQ sauce on scrambled eggs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=b-StpGe-Dn4

Also: Shrimp -N-Grits is one of my party favorites: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...entType=Search
Funny you should say that about me using maple syrup. When I told my dd what I'd done, she said 'Mooommm, why would you put maple syrup on grits?' So I said, why not?
So, grits isn't just like a hot cereal? I put syrup on oatmeal and that's pretty good. See, ya learn something new every day.
Cat Herder 02:47 PM 10-10-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Funny you should say that about me using maple syrup. When I told my dd what I'd done, she said 'Mooommm, why would you put maple syrup on grits?' So I said, why not?
So, grits isn't just like a hot cereal? I put syrup on oatmeal and that's pretty good. See, ya learn something new every day.
Cook them down for about 20-25 minutes with salt, pepper and butter. Stir with a whisk to keep from clumping. Be careful, they will splatter and stick to cause serious burns if your heat is too high. Never cook grits in the buff.

They are amazing topped with chopped bacon, crumbled sausage or shredded cheese. Think meat and potatoes, not cereal.
BGM 07:36 AM 10-17-2018
I grew up with grits, so hearing someone say, so it's like oatmeal but just grits made me spit out my water.

My favorite way to cook grits is with seasoned salt, onion powder and american cheese, yes American cheese. It's the BEST breakfast junk food! My dad would always make cheesy grits, scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast with strawberry jam. mmmm
DaveA 03:47 AM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Cook them down for about 20-25 minutes with salt, pepper and butter. Stir with a whisk to keep from clumping. Be careful, they will splatter and stick to cause serious burns if your heat is too high. Never cook grits in the buff.

They are amazing topped with chopped bacon, crumbled sausage or shredded cheese. Think meat and potatoes, not cereal.
There we go! Now I'm hungry for grits or polenta. Both are similar but have subtle differences. I found Scot Conant's polenta with mushrooms recipe & it has become a regular recipe when I want really do a serious bit of cooking.
Aussiedaycare 10:00 PM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
There we go! Now I'm hungry for grits or polenta. Both are similar but have subtle differences. I found Scot Conant's polenta with mushrooms recipe & it has become a regular recipe when I want really do a serious bit of cooking.
Oh!! I know polenta!! We have that here! Now I don't feel like Im missing out on quite as much!
Tags:grits
Reply Up