Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Repeating
Ariana 11:49 AM 09-26-2018
How much repeating is normal for an 18 month old? I have a dcg who repeats in a very monotone robotic voice and I feel like it’s not normal development. She doesn’t answer questions simply repeats what you say. She will sometimes give a grunt for yes but that’s about it. I know not being able to answer can be normal but I feel that she should be able to say yes or no to simple questions, especially at meal times. She has a large vocabulary but mainly uses it to name objects rather than real communication.

She is meeting her milestones but her behavior is very peculiar. Any thoughts?
Ariana 05:13 PM 09-26-2018

storybookending 07:26 PM 09-26-2018
I wouldn’t worry about this in an 18 month old at all. I have a 22 moth old that has a vocabulary of probably 10 words. He just learned “no” and to shake his head for yes within the last 2 months.
Ariana 09:50 PM 09-26-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I wouldn’t worry about this in an 18 month old at all. I have a 22 moth old that has a vocabulary of probably 10 words. He just learned “no” and to shake his head for yes within the last 2 months.
Oh wow! My developmental checklist says that a 12 month old should be able to nod yes or no and has at least 3 word! At least he is doing it though. This kid will just stare at you.
trytobearunner34 03:21 AM 09-27-2018
I have three toddlers (16-27 months). The oldest started responding no around 18-20 months. Yes didn’t come along until almost 2. My daughter (17 months) can say yes and shake her head for no, but it’s a skill that comes and goes. The 16 month old just recently started shaking his head no and will do so occasionally. From everything I’ve read it’s not a big red flag until closer to maybe 2.5.

Repeating words is a form of imitation which is very important to language acquisition. I would take that as a positive sign at least at this point.
Homebody 05:36 AM 09-27-2018
Its called echolalia. I learned about it when my son started speech therapy. It can be normal for young children, but can become a concern if they do it as they grow older.

Here's a good article about it.
https://speechandlanguagekids.com/ec...-what-you-say/
Ariana 07:28 AM 09-27-2018
Thank you for the resource! I am reading a bunch online and it seems that as long as it stops around 2 years old it’s all good. I think the Echolalia in and of itself is not the only concern so I think that coupled with some other language and social issues is causing me concern.

The monotone, robot voice, lack of shared smiling or experiences has my radar up. The Dad and mom are both odd though so maybe it’s just personality!

Thanks!
Tags:echolalia, late talker, repeating, speech
Reply Up