Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Child Talking to Dead Person
lovemykidstoo 09:57 AM 05-08-2014
I have a relatively new dcg that is 3 yrs old. She's been here maybe 6 months. Mom is strange and dad I've never met. I think I've posted about them before here. Mom tells me all the time how she's bi-polar and has panic attacks and takes meds etc. She just looks strange if that makes sense. I totally understand panic attacks and bi-polar disorder because I have family members with both, I'm not judging her at all. I am very sympathetic to her. I only point it out because it may have something to do with the issue today. Today the 3 yr old dcg tells me that she talks to her sister, who is 3 1/2 yrs old. The problem? She doesn't have a sister, so I ask her more questions. She says her sister is dieing and is in a casket and she talks to her. I ask her where her sister lives and she looks at me like I'm nuts and says in the clouds. I tell my husband and he says maybe mom had another child and she lost it? Maybe she told dcg about the child? What should I do with this info? Shoudl I ask mom if she's lost a child?
Heidi 11:02 AM 05-08-2014
Maybe something she saw on TV? An imaginary friend?

I'd mention it to mom. So...DCG started talking about a sister today, and that she lives in the clouds (don't elaborate the "dead" thing). Has she mentioned it to you?
melilley 11:31 AM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Maybe something she saw on TV? An imaginary friend?

I'd mention it to mom. So...DCG started talking about a sister today, and that she lives in the clouds (don't elaborate the "dead" thing). Has she mentioned it to you?

My nephew had an imaginary friend named Jib. He would talk to this "friend" all the time and Jib went with him every where! He's 15 now and barely remembers him.

The casket thing is kind of different though. I wonder where she got that from, she had to see it somewhere.
lovemykidstoo 11:35 AM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:

My nephew had an imaginary friend named Jib. He would talk to this "friend" all the time and Jib went with him every where! He's 15 now and barely remembers him.

The casket thing is kind of different though. I wonder where she got that from, she had to see it somewhere.
Yea if it was just a regular imaginary friend, I wouldn't be concerned, but the she's dieing, she's in a casket thing creeps me out. She said she was really really sick and was dieing.
Heidi 01:00 PM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Yea if it was just a regular imaginary friend, I wouldn't be concerned, but the she's dieing, she's in a casket thing creeps me out. She said she was really really sick and was dieing.
Someone probably let her watch 'The 6th Sense" or an episode of Criminal Minds.
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 05-08-2014
She may have attended a funeral recently.

I have a child right now who recently lost the grandparent. Now ANY time anyone even mentions a grandparent, this child will immediately say "Did they get dead?" or will ask if they are in the sky or under the dirt (????)

I don't make a big deal out of it and will answer any questions the child asks (within reason and without stepping over boundaries) but basically just let the child "play it out" as sometimes that is the only way a child knows how to deal with or process something.
lovemykidstoo 04:25 PM 05-08-2014
Mom and I had a chat when she picked up. I said that dcg had been telling some stories today about her sister. She rolled her eyes and said that she'd been saying the same thing to her lately and she has no idea where it's coming from. She said she miscarried about 17 years ago, maybe it was a girl. No mention of anything out of the norm. In the meantime dcg tells me that her sister kept her up last night talking and how she floats in her room and is sparkly. Hmmmm. They do say that children are more apt to connect with spirits as they're more open minded. Ya never know. I did ask her if her sister is at my house haha! Good thing she said no, only at her house.
Heidi 06:25 PM 05-08-2014
Mom and I had a chat when she picked up. I said that dcg had been telling some stories today about her sister. She rolled her eyes and said that she'd been saying the same thing to her lately and she has no idea where it's coming from. She said she miscarried about 17 years ago, maybe it was a girl. No mention of anything out of the norm. In the meantime dcg tells me that her sister kept her up last night talking and how she floats in her room and is sparkly. Hmmmm. They do say that children are more apt to connect with spirits as they're more open minded. Ya never know. I did ask her if her sister is at my house haha! Good thing she said no, only at her house.
When I was 4, I drew stripes on my tennies. My mom asked why...I said "So I can run faster"

Runners have stripes on their shoes=Stripes on shoes make a faster runner

Logic does not = 3,4 year olds minds. Who knows what "sparked" the sparkles?
lovemykidstoo 06:45 PM 05-08-2014
Oh I know kids have vivid imaginations and do have imaginery friends, but this is just weird the way she talks. She is a very intelligent 3 yr old. Very articulate. When she was describing how her sister floats through the air it was creepy and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. This was at the end of the conversation where I just listened to her tell me all the details about how her sister had a sore throat a fever and a tummy ache and then she died and she saw her in the coffin. When she was talking about how she sparkles and floats in the air and doesn't walk on the floor like she does, I finally said, she floats like a ghost? Her eyes about bugged out of her head and she yells YES!!! #shivers!
Heidi 07:30 AM 05-09-2014
Oh I know kids have vivid imaginations and do have imaginery friends, but this is just weird the way she talks. She is a very intelligent 3 yr old. Very articulate. When she was describing how her sister floats through the air it was creepy and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. This was at the end of the conversation where I just listened to her tell me all the details about how her sister had a sore throat a fever and a tummy ache and then she died and she saw her in the coffin. When she was talking about how she sparkles and floats in the air and doesn't walk on the floor like she does, I finally said, she floats like a ghost? Her eyes about bugged out of her head and she yells YES!!! #shivers!
When my son was 3, he would tell me he could remember being in heaven with God before he was born. We are not particularly religious, but I found that fascinating. I asked him about it when he was 6 or so, and was told he no longer remembers. Spooky, eh?
Childminder 11:19 AM 05-09-2014
When my son was 3 he told us about how he had died in a car accident when he lived before. He described the car, the accident, the intersection and himself at about age 16. I believe in past lives and ghosts and it wasn't something he saw on television, we didn't have one at that time.

My daughter, till she was about 10, had multiple "spirits" around her that she communicated with constantly. One was a Native American that told her many sad tales of his pain and suffering.

Your dcg is just in that stage of talking to her "spirits" and it too shall pass. Don't make it an issue and it will go away.
NightOwl 04:04 PM 05-09-2014
I think it's quite beautiful when children are able to communicate with the other side. Their innocence hasn't been corrupted yet, so they are able to see what us older, jaded people can't!
cheerfuldom 04:59 PM 05-09-2014
I agree with Wednesday.
I do believe that children have that sensitivity to "the other side" and I wouldn't be alarmed at all about it. Could be imaginary, maybe it is not, either way it would not bother me.

My oldest had a very hard time when we moved and she was around 3. She was too scared to sleep in her room and told me a lady in white would come sit by her bed during nap time and told her not to be scared, she would be there while my daughter napped. My daughter did not use the word angel and wasn't exposed to talk about spirits or angels....she is with us almost all the time and we carefully supervise any TV time she had at the time. Anyway, after about two weeks, she told me the lady left and that she was okay and could nap on her own now. Yes I do believe that her guardian angel was watching over her. This daughter has also experienced a few other things and I believe she is one of those people that has an extra sense of the spirit world. It runs in my family. My mom and grandma were both like that. I am like that too. I had a very very vivid dream before this child was born and dreamed she was a red headed girl (red hair found no where in my family) and yes, I had a red headed girl! It was crazy but I think some kids are special like that.
Cradle2crayons 05:37 PM 05-09-2014
My daughter is one of those kids who is sensitive like those mentioned.

When she was 3 or so she would talk about things. Not as much about spirits but more like vivid dreams that either happened before she was born or after that she knew nothing about.

For instance. My moms mother died four years before I was even born. She was a raging alcoholic from what I've heard and died of a massive heart attack when she was only like 40. I had never mentioned it to my daughter but she woke one morning saying something about "nana Lottie" . Well I start asking questions because I didn't know any Lottie and I wasn't thinking about my late grandmother at the time because I never met her. Apparently she had lots more information I never even knew about. So I called my grandpa to ask some questions and ended up verifying everything. She never mentioned nana Lottie VISITING her though.

She also has senses about certain people or etc.

I also have the same senses and dreams but not like she does.

As she's gotten older she doesn't mention it as much as far as he dreams but she still has the second sense about things.
CraftyMom 08:11 PM 05-09-2014
My daughter is also very perceptive. I wonder if they are more sensitive at age 3 to these things? Around 3 she started to say things that she could never have known, she started seeing things too. She also talked about herself going to heaven A LOT which freaked me out big time since she was so perceptive I felt like she knew something about herself going to heaven. She is now 6. She has wicked ESP. She just knows things. I don't think she sees anyone anymore. I asked her about it not too long ago and she didn't know what I was talking about.

My son who is 3 (see the pattern?) now has started seeing a black kitty in his room. We don't have a cat. He is scared to sleep in his room so he sleeps in our room. He also sees "a big guy" in his closet.

I also have some perception, but not like them. I get a sense of someone in our upstairs hallway and my son's room (which used to be my 6 year old's room before he was born)

My husband's family is very in tune also
Sunchimes 04:27 PM 05-10-2014
I was helping my 3 yo dcg put on tights one day. I was chatting and said that when I was a little girl, I wore tights with feet and we called them leotards. She said "I know. I took care of you then." I said, "You did what?" She said, "I was the lady that took care of you when you were little."

My mom worked until I was 9, and I spent all of those years with aunts and babysitters. I can't help but wonder which of those lovely old ladies she might be.
hellomaloy 09:09 PM 05-14-2014
How absurdly interesting. It just goes to show all the more how delicate we should be with children. How intently we should be listening to them. Most children get shushed or ignored... Their stories and insights end up not getting shared. Time passes, and they forget. My daughter does things for her age that make my eyes bulge because I just don't understand how she could be doing them yet. I talk to her and she doesn't speak yet but sometimes she does something or makes noises and hand gestures, or brings me something - and all I can do is stare, thinking she understood EVERY word I just said. I do believe in past lives and the spirit world. And though I have not ever had any encounter whatsoever, I have had a few dreams of things happening that actually happened shortly after. There could be some solid legitimacy behind this childs' stories...
SunshineMama 06:25 AM 05-15-2014
My daughters have talked about seeing ghosts before. The latest was when my 4 year old told me that she dreamed I had a baby in my belly. I found out I was pregnant days later. Kids are amazing!
lovemykidstoo 04:42 PM 08-14-2014
I love these stories. I think kids most definately can connect with the spiritual world. I had something else strange happen with this family today. Again this family started around the first of the year and I had never met the dad before and the mom is self-admitted bi-polar, suffers from depression, takes meds for it etc. If you read my first post, you will see that I do not judge her by that, but think it's relative to the story so that's why I'm putting it here. The mom just acts strange, the daughter talks about her dead sister and low and behold I see mom pull up today and dad gets out of the car with her to pick up dcg. I think, wow, what's up because dad has never shown himself before. I open the door and mom introduces me to dad and they come in. She tells me immediately that she had been at the hospital all day with dad. Dad was at work and had a "stress breakdown". He looked like an absolute zombie. He walks in and asks me if he can sit down. I say sure. Mom is getting dcg ready to go and dad asks to use the bathroom. He does that, they pack up dcg and off they go. This family just gets more interesting by the minute. WOW!
Cat Herder 06:14 AM 08-15-2014
Not to dismiss the spiritual side....

I did want to share that my daugter told lot's of vivid stories like in the OP, too. These (below) were her favorite dolls because they were vibrant, thought provoking and exciting instead of the "boring pink" Barbie variety; her words. (huge Tim Burton fan, as well)

She now is in all AP classes, writes amazing stories, draws awesome graphics and is raking in college scholarships because of her imagination.

OP kid sounds like she has great potential.
Attached: ghouls rule dolls.jpg (16.9 KB) 
Reply Up