Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnant And Newborn Care During Child Care
Sprouts 04:45 AM 05-15-2012
Hi all! Okay so I am currently almost 5 months pregnant and when I first told my parents they asked if I would still be open when I had the baby and I told them definitely, but I as I get bigger and feel more pregnant I am starting to think more about how it will be with the new born here, jus picturing kids coming in sick, I have a strict sickness policy but usually when a cold starts its not the most obvious, and I have two of my own children as well so if they catch something from the daycare kids then were all bound to get it, I do have an assistant but I can't afford to pay her full time for too long...I dunno I've been feeling very confused lately as to whether I even want to continue doing child care. Maybe some of you have been in this position and can give me some advice or any ideas, thank you all!
SunshineMama 05:17 AM 05-15-2012
I have not decided how I will handle this yet with my parents. I have not told the families yet that I am pregnant, as I am waiting after the first trimesster to do so.

I think I will take 6 weeks off. If a baby gets sick and they are under 7 weeks, you have to go to the ER, they want to do a spinal tap, etc. I went through this with my dd when she got sick at a young age and it was a nightmare. I have a lot of parents now who bring their kids when they are only "teething" AKA Hand foot and mouth, rotovirus, etc.

If I could afford to close until the baby was at least 3 or 4 months old I would in a heartbeat, but I can't If you can afford to do it, I definitely would. Try to get as much time off as you can
lil angels 06:19 AM 05-15-2012
I had both of mine and returned at 4 weeks with one and six with the other. One of my sons got a terrible old at 6 weeks other than that it all went good. You have to be very carefully at first and hold to your sickness policy and blame it on the new baby. You can almost figure on your baby getting sick right when everyone comes in because they Re not used to all those germs but once they get exposed a few times they will be able to fight it better . It is just a lot harder when they are new borns.

I agree if you can take 3 months that would be wonderful. But most of us can't I didn't want to start all over again when I came back either good luck to you try not to worry to much about it. Lots and lots of kids start at 6 weeks and do just fine.
Ariana 07:28 AM 05-15-2012
I'm feeling a lot like you and have no idea how I'm gonna do it! I've told one parent and mentioned I would likely take 6 weeks off and they seemed happy about that. I'm worried about being huge in the end and not being able to change diapers etc. When I was pg last time I got a note and went on sick leave 2 months before I was due just because my job is so demanding.

My current plan is to get rid of everyone besides the school agers who are 1/2 days in September and let my 2 yr old go. I'm really trying to take it one day at a time because it's stressing me out too much
SunshineMama 09:08 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I'm feeling a lot like you and have no idea how I'm gonna do it! I've told one parent and mentioned I would likely take 6 weeks off and they seemed happy about that. I'm worried about being huge in the end and not being able to change diapers etc. When I was pg last time I got a note and went on sick leave 2 months before I was due just because my job is so demanding.

My current plan is to get rid of everyone besides the school agers who are 1/2 days in September and let my 2 yr old go. I'm really trying to take it one day at a time because it's stressing me out too much
I didn't even think about being humongus and trying to change diapers lol! I'm with you on the stress- I'm stressing about stressing! Im afraid the stress will make the baby a stressed baby! Ack!
Ariana 09:20 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I didn't even think about being humongus and trying to change diapers lol! I'm with you on the stress- I'm stressing about stressing! Im afraid the stress will make the baby a stressed baby! Ack!
I was bawling to my DH last night telling him that all of this stress is not good for the baby He told me that he thinks my pg hormones are what's making me so stressed and crazy and I totally think he's right. I could cry at the drop of a hat these days. I also remember telling him before I was pg how I could handle everything and it would all be ok etc. what the heck happened to me
cheerfuldom 09:20 AM 05-15-2012
I have done daycare twice up to the due date and come back full time within two weeks after the birth. If you take more than four weeks off, you have to be prepared for the reality of parents finding a new daycare and not accommodating your personal needs. I think you need to figure out what you HAVE to do (financially) and take the most time off, take the least amount of kids. That leaves you with the best scenario when you are very pregnant or have a newborn. If you cant afford that type of thing, then you just do what you have to do to keep going. Its not easy but it can be done. I am on my fourth child, third pregnancy while doing daycare and have no plans to take a ton of time off. I know exactly what I need to do to prepare, my husband is very hands on with chores and such, and we make it work each time. I just can't afford to drop kids or take a huge maternity leave without it causing a big hardship for our whole family. The good thing is that I am home, I can do some movie days or something if baby is needing more attention that day, I can breastfeed and (mostly) still parent the way I would like. The only adjustment that I make is to let any kids go that are really really challenging because I wont have the time they need when my own baby is born.....I let go one super clingy cryer when my second was born for instance. This time, I have 3 kids now that will be 2 and 3 years old when the baby is born and I don't forsee a problem with any of them.
MarinaVanessa 09:21 AM 05-15-2012
Not that it'll be any help to you but I worked right up until I gave birth on a Thursday night/Friday morning and came back to work on the very next Monday morning. I had a great pregnancy however and I actually felt more mobile immediately after having my DS so I was glad to be doing all of my regular daily things (like bending over which is impossible when youre in your last tri-mester).

My sis and mom each took turns taking days off from work to help me with the DC kids though so that I could really bond with my DS.

That being said, on the issue of your infant getting sick keep in mind that your infant will have your immunities and antibodies for the first 3 months so it's after this period that they are really vulnerable to illness.
SunshineMama 09:30 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I was bawling to my DH last night telling him that all of this stress is not good for the baby He told me that he thinks my pg hormones are what's making me so stressed and crazy and I totally think he's right. I could cry at the drop of a hat these days. I also remember telling him before I was pg how I could handle everything and it would all be ok etc. what the heck happened to me
You and me both! We went to Bob Evans the other day and I dont even remember what it was that I saw there that had me ready to cry lol.

I wasn't prepared for the exhaustion. I can make it through the daycare day but I have nothing left to give at the end of the day. I go to bed every day at 7:30- which stinks because DH gets home 6:30 - 7:00, so I am missing time with him. Forget the 4 laundry baskets piled up in my room, the dd's crib needs a coat of laquer on it (I started repainting it then couldnt finish it bc I got preggo), I have broken tiles that need to be fixed, and I have 8 different colors of paint samples on my bedroom walls. There are things I can't do due to toxins, and things I am too tired to do. DH keeps telling me "yes" he will do all these things but I ask everyday and nothing gets done. He's tired too from his work day and getting off late. Ugh. I need to hit the lotto.
Sprouts 12:39 PM 05-15-2012
Well thanks for all of the great suggestions, I told one parent I plan on taking a week, right now I have 3 daycare kids and two of my own, 1 of them is leaving this June anyway. But unfortunately I need the income, and I could use the income to pay my assistant to also help with my kids as well. The baby is due in October which is the best time for colds and illnesses and last year we had coxsackie so I am praying that nasty thing doesn't return! I will just be super strict when it comes to colds and such, even excessive sneezing I might send home luckily the 1 year old I watch is very easy going and her parents are great. The only thing that worries me now is I feel a lot of strain on my stomach when I do A lot of carrying and lifting which I never felt before s I hope I don't have to get bed rest or Anything, but this job is a lot less stressful then teaching middle school! I would always be stressed and yelling so it's not so bad.
DCBlessings27 02:02 PM 05-15-2012
I'm there with you. I should be 8 weeks but just went to the doctor today and measured 7 weeks. I am planning on taking 3 months off though. I can afford it (if I can just get hubby on board with sticking to the budget). I know that I might lose all my kids and have to start over. But, we can afford it and I'll need recovery time after my c-section. I also didn't start the daycare until dd was 4 months, so I'd like to try to have about as much time to bond with this baby as I did with dd.
cheerfuldom 03:10 PM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Well thanks for all of the great suggestions, I told one parent I plan on taking a week, right now I have 3 daycare kids and two of my own, 1 of them is leaving this June anyway. But unfortunately I need the income, and I could use the income to pay my assistant to also help with my kids as well. The baby is due in October which is the best time for colds and illnesses and last year we had coxsackie so I am praying that nasty thing doesn't return! I will just be super strict when it comes to colds and such, even excessive sneezing I might send home luckily the 1 year old I watch is very easy going and her parents are great. The only thing that worries me now is I feel a lot of strain on my stomach when I do A lot of carrying and lifting which I never felt before s I hope I don't have to get bed rest or Anything, but this job is a lot less stressful then teaching middle school! I would always be stressed and yelling so it's not so bad.
I would keep the two DC kids and be able to hire the assistant too! As for the strain in your stomach, have you considered a maternity belt? It is well worth the investment and can take some of that pressure off. Makes a huge difference for me. I would start changing kids on the floor and do everything possible to NOT pick up kids. If they need snuggles, sit on a chair and let them get on your lap or sit next to you.
CheekyChick 04:00 PM 05-15-2012
I would definitely take the time out if you can afford to.
jojosmommy 11:50 AM 05-16-2012
I went back to work after 2.5 weeks off but I slowly took back kids. 2 kids back the first week, two more the week after etc.

My dd is going to be 7 months and just got her first cold/illness. I don't believe dc is a breeding ground for illness. If you have a good illness policy and good families who care not to bring kids sick you'll be fine. If you have bad parents get rid of them, dont take them back when you start back.

I also saved a ton while pregnant so that if soeone chose not to come back I would be fine without them for a while.
Tags:pregnant newborn
Reply Up