Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Did You Manage a Maternity Leave?
Unregistered 06:27 AM 10-04-2010
So my husband and I are tying to conceive and as we all know there is no "paid leave" for providers. At least not an extensive one. Also it's pretty hard for parents to find alternate care for a long period of time. So how long did you other moms take off? Do you have any suggestions to help the process go smoothly? I appreciate any information!
JJPlaycare 11:40 AM 10-04-2010
I am due December 21. I am closing Dec. 17 and I am taking 4 weeks off, 7 days within those 4 weeks are my paid days off that I saved up, and there is also holiday pay for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years day which equals out to be about 2 weeks or 10 days paid, the other two weeks off are unpaid! After my 4 weeks are up I am paying my mom to come and do daycare for 2 weeks and help me get everything back into order and everyone back into the routine of things! Excited for you guys, Good Luck!!
MommyMuffin 12:11 PM 10-04-2010
I am planning to have a child next december. You can see as JJplaycare has done there are extra vacation days during that time and I figure that some people take extra time off during the holidays anyways, if they can. I will close for 2 weeks and then my friend who is a SAHM will come help in the morning until everything gets back to normal. This is my plan...I guess I will see how it goes.
SilverSabre25 12:14 PM 10-04-2010
In my contract I get 6 to 8 weeks of unpaid maternity leave as well as any medically necessary leave before the baby is born (bed rest, etc). I plan to refer some of my kids to my sister, who lives just up the street from me, and the rest will be responsible for finding their own back-up care. I will let parents know just as soon as is reasonable that I am pregnant, giving them ample time to find an alternate care situation.
kitkat 12:18 PM 10-04-2010
For DD I took about 7 weeks off unpaid. Parents had to find alternate care on their own. I'm due in March and will be taking only 4 weeks this time, I think. I haven't completely decided yet. DH will be available to help when kids come back and I don't have a big group, so I think I'll be fine. You can try to use the search feature and look up other posts on maternity leave. I know there have been a few in the past couple of months.

My suggestion is take the amount of time that you need and don't feel bad about it! Make sure to have clear communication with your dcp so they know what to expect. Make a plan and give it to the parents, but don't let them hassle you about anything. If they don't like it or aren't understanding about you needing time off, then do you really want them? I know I wouldn't. Good luck!
MarinaVanessa 12:33 PM 10-04-2010
People are going to think I'm crazy but here goes, I'm due Nov. 27th and had originally thought to take only one week off. If I go into labor during the week then I will use my 5 paid sick days that I have reserved for that week, then I will be taking the next daycare week off and using my week of vacation pay for that (5 days). I also have a reserve week (5 extra days) that I can take that is paid at half rate. I plan on working until I go into labor and take 2 weeks off at most. When I had my 1st child I didn't have my daycare but I did watch a friends baby (5 mo) and I started watching her again 1 week after giving birth to my DD and I did fine. It did help that it was a quick delivery (viginal birth) and for me was easy as pie so I'm crossing my fingers that this 2nd baby will be the same.

All of my families know of my plans and they all (except one) had no problem with it and have actually saved their vacation time for the time or are taking their own vacations from work during the time that I will be closed. The one DCM that threw a fit has no vacation time left and has to pay my full-time rate for my vacation time and either has pay someone else to watch her DCB or take an unpaid vacation from work. She didn't plan ahead even though I became pregnant in Early Feb. and she signed up in mid April.
melskids 01:06 PM 10-04-2010
i worked up until i went into labor, literally. i actually finished out the day before i went to the hospital. it was my older son's first day of 1st grade, and i was determined to be there when he got off the bus. i came home on a friday from the hospital, had just the weekend to myself, and was back to a full house first thing monday morning.

in case youre wondering... yes i am nuts and no i would never do it again
Crystal 02:10 PM 10-04-2010
I worked til' the day before I delivered. I was induced on thursday night after work, had son on friday morning, went home saturday morning and was working on Monday morning. My hubby took one week off of work and helped me. that was when we decided for him to come work with me full time.
Crystal 02:11 PM 10-04-2010
lol melskids, I just noticed you did almost the exact same thing as me!
misol 02:38 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:

OMG, you are both nuts! I don't know how you did it. Definitely superwomen.
Crystal 04:56 PM 10-04-2010
I had too. I found I out I was pregnant two weeks after I first opened my program and had filled all of my spaces....I didn't want to lose those clients. BUT, I would do it again.....only with a helper though, not alone.
melskids 05:34 PM 10-04-2010
i had to too, for financial reasons. we couldnt afford for me to take any time off, especially unpaid. my mother and MIL were there if i needed them, but mostly it was all me. the baby was jauntice, and i would pack up all 5 of them and shlep the all to the DR. every 3 days for them to check him out and take his blood samples. the Dr. and nurses thought i was nuts...lol
melskids 05:42 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
that is kinda bizzarre, huh? same days and everything. imagine if it was the same month and year...lol now that would be freaky.....
Tags:maternity leave
Reply Up