Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reminding
Pandaluver21 02:29 PM 06-28-2018
So maybe it's just me, but I'm very tired of having to "remind"
Everyone...
Every time...
Every day...

Reminding the kids of things they already know bothers me already, but that's my job... having to remind the PARENTS of things they already know is driving me bonkers

We have parents provide milk, but they go on a rotating schedule with us and other parents. I print out a schedule at the beginning of the month/every other month with their dates to bring milk. I ask that it be brought Monday or Tuesday of their week. The paper says right on it "Put this on your refrigerator to help you remember"

Last two weeks, nobody brought it...
So I ended up putting in LARGE letters on the parent board "PLEASE REMEMBER MILK"
Finally one parent paid attention and brought it the next day. She told me "You need to be more assertive" "just remind me to bring it" .... I told her I am worrying about what I need to remember, it's not my job to worry about what SHE has to remember too! Needless to say she did not agree with me... but what's new :P

/end rant... sorry O

The point I was going for there, is how many times/what ways do you remind parents? I feel like printing out a schedule was enough of a reminder, why do 50 more things because they are incapable of remembering on their own? We used to have it written on the parent board, on their sign in and out sheet, as well as send a "reminder" bracelet home on the kid if needed. Why am I having to put out all the extra effort to remind when they can't put out any effort to remember?
I've been doing this for 10 years, it is nothing new, but this mom is just not getting it! She really thinks it's my fault that I'm not reminding her enough. And guess what, her kid is the one I have to remind the most about anything else! (and he's 7 1/2 and has been with us for about 7 years [longer than anyone else]... Pretty sure he should know the rules by now :P )

/end second rant...
Blackcat31 02:57 PM 06-28-2018
I used to remind parents/children etc all the time but it got old being everyone's secretary when I know full well that they are all perfectly capable of remembering things when it suits them.

Then one day I had an "ah-ha!" moment... (see above bolded part) and knew what needed to be done.

Basically, the issue is that there is no real consequence to them forgetting. Other than a note or a non-confrontational/gentle reminder.... all of which is clearly doing NOTHING to influence them to change their behavior.

Dr Phil says "people won't change their behavior until it's an issue for them" and right now, forgetting isn't an issue for them. Just you.

I'd send out a note stating that milk must be provided on X days and if not, the family (child included) will be turned away at the door until they have arrived with the required supplies. Then enforce it. Like every.single.time.
Put a note on the door after you warn them stating that if they don't have the required milk to not even bother entering the daycare as services will not be provided without milk.

It's sucky when we have to follow parents around like they are teenagers that need reminding for everything so I just stopped doing it. Instead I realized that the parent WILL remember on their own if I have a consequence that influences them to do so...
rosieteddy 03:48 PM 06-28-2018
I like Blackcats reply. I would have not wanted to turn them away(to confrontational.whimpy I know).I instead would change the policy.I would charge everyone the cost of milk plus a fee doubling the cost.If questioned it would be my fee for having to go get it .I always felt parents could be clueless when it comes to things like this.Maybe send a notice explaining the new policy and give them a chance.I would just say its not working out anymore so the fee will be collected weekly.
Pandaluver21 05:01 PM 06-28-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Basically, the issue is that there is no real consequence
Exactly. I'm huge on consequences with the kiddos for forgetting things, but it's sad when you have to do the same thing for their parents
I had a parent a few years back, and she would forget every now and then, but would apologize and give me about double the cost of milk for the week. Not ideal, but she at least cared (and to be honest, is the best parent we have had over the last 10 years!)

I don't know that I would be able to turn them away at the door, but I had been contemplating a fee for it. Milk is the only thing parents provide, it should not be this difficult :P
ColorfulSunburst 05:20 PM 06-28-2018
because of that, I provide almost everything.
Parents provide kids, diapers, and extra clothes. That's it. Everyone is happy.
Country Kids 06:22 PM 06-28-2018
So the parents bring all the milk for the childcare but they rotate when to bring?

Honestly, I would just buy the milk. Not a headache I would want to deal with on a weekly basis.

I have children who need certain milks and their own parents can't remember to bring it every week for their child, I can't imagine them remembering for the whole daycare. I'm about ready to just buy it myself so I know I have it in case of a food inspection.
Blackcat31 05:50 AM 06-29-2018
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
Exactly. I'm huge on consequences with the kiddos for forgetting things, but it's sad when you have to do the same thing for their parents
I had a parent a few years back, and she would forget every now and then, but would apologize and give me about double the cost of milk for the week. Not ideal, but she at least cared (and to be honest, is the best parent we have had over the last 10 years!)

I don't know that I would be able to turn them away at the door, but I had been contemplating a fee for it. Milk is the only thing parents provide, it should not be this difficult :P
Charging a fee is a good alternative to turning them away at the door.

If milk is say $5 then if they forget tell them you are charging them $15 verses just the cost. $5 for an inconvenience fee, $5 simply because you have to be involved at all and $5 for the actual cost.

If $15 doesn't "help" them remember you could always have a graduated fee... $15 the first time they forget, $20 the second and $25 the third time etc...etc..etc..

Might help influence them to remember. If not, you'll have some awesome "extra" cash.
Jo123ABC 07:49 AM 06-29-2018
I hear you! I think I'd rather raise my rate to cover the expense of milk and just provide it myself. Otherwise, I end up mad and resenting them for "not caring about anyone but themselves". That's how it makes me feel anyway. I now provide pretty much everything except clothes, "special items" like eczema lotion and saline spray, diapers and wipes.
daycarediva 09:33 AM 06-29-2018
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
I hear you! I think I'd rather raise my rate to cover the expense of milk and just provide it myself. Otherwise, I end up mad and resenting them for "not caring about anyone but themselves". That's how it makes me feel anyway. I now provide pretty much everything except clothes, "special items" like eczema lotion and saline spray, diapers and wipes.
I provide EVERYTHING except clothes. Those I even wash and return to cubbies so parents cannot 'forget' to send clean ones. I got VERY sick of getting the bag of dirty clothes I sent home yesterday brought back in. DUH!

Anyway, here's what I would do.

"Effective 7/14, rates for all children will be increased by $5/week to reflect the cost of supplying milk for childcare."

I buy it. The end.
AmyKidsCo 12:04 PM 06-29-2018
ITA with Blackcat. When I read the title of your post my first thought is "Don't remind, have consequences."

Charge them a fee if they forget. Either a one-time fee, or a daily fee until they bring it.

You could also give them the option to bring milk (on time or pay the fee) or pay a monthly "supply fee" instead of bringing milk.

Personally I'd rather provide milk than rely on parents to supply it. It's not like diapers or wipes that can be "borrowed" from someone else.
AmyKidsCo 12:06 PM 06-29-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I have children who need certain milks and their own parents can't remember to bring it every week for their child, I can't imagine them remembering for the whole daycare. I'm about ready to just buy it myself so I know I have it in case of a food inspection.
Me too! At one time my refrigerator had 6 different types of milk:
- Family organic 1%
- My organic skim
- Daycare regular 1%
- Daycare regular Whole
- Silk
- Almond Bliss

Country Kids 01:29 PM 06-29-2018
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Me too! At one time my refrigerator had 6 different types of milk:
- Family organic 1%
- My organic skim
- Daycare regular 1%
- Daycare regular Whole
- Silk
- Almond Bliss
I'm up to four and if I get anymore kids that need "special" milk I will literally need to buy another refrigerator.
CityGarden 01:35 PM 06-29-2018
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Personally I'd rather provide milk than rely on parents to supply it. It's not like diapers or wipes that can be "borrowed" from someone else.
This is my thoughts too! I am a "water only" program and do not serve any milk but have thought about doing a snack rotation among the parents..... my concern is parents forgetting.

I get annoyed having to remind them when payment is due..... I can't imagine having to remind them for more.

If you only have one sort of milk you serve maybe add $10 to each child's tuition each month and buy it yourself.
Pandaluver21 01:47 PM 06-29-2018
Fee it is! (thanks for verifying my through process :P)
To be honest, I don't really know how the bringing milk thing started lol. If anyone has a different milk then they bring that, but we used to provide 2%, I think one family offered and it kind of snowballed from there. We provide EVERYTHING else. We are a preschool program, so we don't really have diapered kiddos.

I would say we've probably been having parents bring milk for 8 out of the 10 years we've been doing this and it hasn't really been a problem in the past, so there was no need to change it or add a fee. This particular parent used to bring it just fine (her kid has been here for 7 years...) but since he just comes for the summer now it's "too hard to remember" She plays the "my life is harder than yours" game lately and I envy Blackcats backbone lol

I'll add the fee, it would really only be once a month or so. Regulations say we HAVE to serve milk at lunch, but have just water any other time. One gallon lasts about a week, but with all families and us bringing it it's usually once every month and a half that they need to bring it.
Unregistered 12:28 PM 07-12-2018
As parent I would prefer you raise a fee for the milk and would gladly pay. Thank you and
Tags:milk
Reply Up