Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rooms With No Windows
SquirrellyMama 11:09 AM 07-05-2013
How do you brighten up rooms without windows? I have 2 rooms in the basement with no windows and I'm trying to make them more inviting to play in. My girls have their bedrooms in the basement and have egress windows so there is an exit. The stairs lead out to the garage.

I can't do too much with furniture or paint color. The walls are a light blue so I probably wouldn't change that except maybe to yellow in the next year.

Would art work help? Any particular kind? Make a pretend window with an outside scene

Kelly
itlw8 11:25 AM 07-05-2013
are you sure you can use them. here a room has to have direct access. Meaning if they have to go in you childrens room to get out you could not use the space.
SquirrellyMama 11:51 AM 07-05-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
are you sure you can use them. here a room has to have direct access. Meaning if they have to go in you childrens room to get out you could not use the space.
Yes, I can use them. I'm not licensed this time around but when I was licensed I could use them. That was before I had the egress windows. The stairs to the backdoor were considered an exit.

Any advice on making them more inviting?

Kelly
sahm1225 11:55 AM 07-05-2013
You can probably google making a fake window with outside scenery?

We have 3 windows but no direct sunlight. We painted the walls yellow & got blue carpet. It helped to brighten up the space.
MyAngels 12:02 PM 07-05-2013
I'd stick with lighter colors, obviously, but you might also take a look at adding track lighting or pot lights if you can. Make sure the ceiling is painted a nice light white color, too, and if it's a popcorn ceiling you might think about scraping it. If you can add some reflective surfaces to bounce the light that is already there around, too, that can help. Not just mirrors, but anything with a reflective surface can help (I'm thinking accents and the like).

A friend of mine once took an old window frame and put mirrors in it where the glass was and put it up like a window. That might help if you're into that sort of decorating.
sahm1225 12:06 PM 07-05-2013
Definitely agree with a bright white ceiling. We just changed ours from drop down tile ceiling to a bright white and the difference is huge!!!
SquirrellyMama 12:17 PM 07-05-2013
Has anyone ever done a fake window with outside scene? Would that work? I like the fake window and mirror idea and the reflective decoration idea.

Kelly
itlw8 01:04 PM 07-05-2013
check one of those lighting displays at Lowes and Home Depot They show how each kind of light looks.
Reply Up