Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Vegetable Dilemma....
momneedscoffee 12:39 PM 01-14-2016
HELP!
How do you get dc kids to eat vegetables? Right now the only kids that eat ANY veg i serve are my own two! The other eaters are 18 mo and 3 yr. I feel like an 18 month old child absolutely should not have such an aversion to vegetables! Any veg I give she either throws on the floor or mutilates on her tray. The 3 yr old boy will take ONE bite if I coerce him, but beyond that it goes down the garbage disposal. I have tried peas, carrots (raw and cooked), brocolli, avocado, celery (with pb), corn, cucumber...you name it.
So, how do you serve vegetables so that kids actually eat and enjoy them? Favorite ways to at least sneak them into foods? Or is this a lost cause?
Josiegirl 03:21 PM 01-14-2016
Have you tried veggies with a dip? Do they like ranch dressing or peanut butter dips? Frozen peas might be a hit even if they won't eat cooked. Would they drink smoothies made with pumpkin or anything like that? Or try blending combos(now don't ask me what they'd be) of fruits and mild tasting veggies for frozen pops. Blending veggies into sauces or soups, meat loaves, etc. Course if they're like most of my dcks they wouldn't eat those either!
My own used to be so picky when they were little and I tried all the tricks out there back then. They started eating veggies when they were good and ready. Now they're more adventurous than I am in their eating. Course they're adults.
I have a couple dcks who would have as many veggies as I let them, then 2 toddlers who eat some but not many and an almost 3 yo who doesn't eat any veggies. I figure if they're getting plenty of fruits, esp. the 'better for you' fruits then they're probably doing okay.
Thriftylady 05:14 PM 01-14-2016
I agree with offering dip. Ranch, yogurt, peanut butter, sour cream, whatever you can think of. My kids all like veggies with dip. But sometimes they get carried away with the dip and I have to cut off refills until they eat all their veggies and get more veggies! ETA: The favorite veggies here right now are celery, raw carrot sticks and green beans.
Thriftylady 05:19 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Have you tried veggies with a dip? Do they like ranch dressing or peanut butter dips? Frozen peas might be a hit even if they won't eat cooked. Would they drink smoothies made with pumpkin or anything like that? Or try blending combos(now don't ask me what they'd be) of fruits and mild tasting veggies for frozen pops. Blending veggies into sauces or soups, meat loaves, etc. Course if they're like most of my dcks they wouldn't eat those either!
My own used to be so picky when they were little and I tried all the tricks out there back then. They started eating veggies when they were good and ready. Now they're more adventurous than I am in their eating. Course they're adults.
I have a couple dcks who would have as many veggies as I let them, then 2 toddlers who eat some but not many and an almost 3 yo who doesn't eat any veggies. I figure if they're getting plenty of fruits, esp. the 'better for you' fruits then they're probably doing okay.
What is your list of "better for you fruits". I ask because I am serving some, but as a diabetic I quit keeping them around for a long time. DH and I are both diabetic and both struggle with cutting off the fruit, as we both love it. I quit buying him grapes. He loves them, and I bought him a 3 pound bag for the truck a year or so ago. He left and later that night, he said "The grapes were good I need some more". I said "what do you mean you need more" he then told me "I have been snacking on them as I drive the bag is about empty". I then asked him who the man was I had sat next to in our diabetic classes who should KNOW that a serving is 17 grapes! Yeah he got cut off so....
Josiegirl 02:33 AM 01-15-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
What is your list of "better for you fruits". I ask because I am serving some, but as a diabetic I quit keeping them around for a long time. DH and I are both diabetic and both struggle with cutting off the fruit, as we both love it. I quit buying him grapes. He loves them, and I bought him a 3 pound bag for the truck a year or so ago. He left and later that night, he said "The grapes were good I need some more". I said "what do you mean you need more" he then told me "I have been snacking on them as I drive the bag is about empty". I then asked him who the man was I had sat next to in our diabetic classes who should KNOW that a serving is 17 grapes! Yeah he got cut off so....
Well, silly dh, for a diabetic fruits are full of natural sugar so you still have to be careful right? But as far as the better ones, I consider ones like berries and cantaloupe, mango, but not bananas. They love bananas the most and bananas certainly have their place but the dcks need to be adventurous.
momneedscoffee 09:37 AM 01-15-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Popsicles are a good idea! I've tried smoothies, but the 3 yr old gets weirded out by them and rarely finishes, and they are too messy for the little girl. I keep meaning to try dips but always forget to buy something when I go grocery shopping. I tried homemade guacamole the other day and that was a no go. Its my son's (3) favorite and I thought if it was on a chip it would be an instant hit...nope.
Josiegirl 10:34 AM 01-15-2016
Originally Posted by momneedscoffee:
Popsicles are a good idea! I've tried smoothies, but the 3 yr old gets weirded out by them and rarely finishes, and they are too messy for the little girl. I keep meaning to try dips but always forget to buy something when I go grocery shopping. I tried homemade guacamole the other day and that was a no go. Its my son's (3) favorite and I thought if it was on a chip it would be an instant hit...nope.
We're all different. I would say guacamole is a no-go for me too. But I could live on hummus! They also recommend giving different foods fun names to entice a reluctant eater to try it. Trouble is kids are smart. A carrot is a carrot is a carrot ya know? Although, if you look on this forum, someone mentioned how they make mac and cheese with baby carrots and it's a hit for their dc.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:52 AM 01-15-2016
Looks like you are getting lots of good advice. One thing that has really worked for me was using the "Deceptively Delicious" approach, where you sneak pureed fruits and veggies into foods. I use a lot of the recipes from that cookbook. Using that mindset, over the years though I have been inspired to sneak pureed veggies into other recipes as well. Of course, it would be optimal for them to eat the raw veggies, but at least I get some into them.

Another thing I have done recently is to get more fruit and veggie pouches. They seem to like the combo pouches because I don't think they taste veggie, if you know what I mean. Also, lately I have been serving Veggie Chips and Veggie Straws. Again, these are not raw, but hey they are something. I also pinned a few recipes just this morning. They both were tater tot veggie recipes. One was with broccoli and the other was made with cauliflower. Search for those kind of recipes.

My philosophy is that if the food smells good, most children will at least try it. Then if it tastes good maybe they will finish it. Its kind of like building trust in the foods you serve being good. Most of the children I have served in the recent past are good eaters on their own, but I have been able to convert a few too. Also, when a poor eater sits down with a robust eater, that can be the best peer pressure there it.

If you are successful with any approach, remember to share it with the parents so hopefully they can follow suit at home.
Josiegirl 01:44 PM 01-15-2016
Oh there are a lot of recipes on using cauliflower in different things, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, and even using it for pizza crust. If you're feeling real desperate it's worth a shot. Check pinterest for other veggie ideas.
laundrymom 04:35 AM 01-16-2016
I offer. They choose to eat or not. I have children who eat fantastically. It might take them a while to do it but generally they all do. I don't have stress about food. Everyone has the chance to eat. Everyone has a relaxed meal environment and they eat or are hungry.
If they don't eat at one meal, they make it up the next.
Originally Posted by momneedscoffee:
HELP!
How do you get dc kids to eat vegetables? Right now the only kids that eat ANY veg i serve are my own two! The other eaters are 18 mo and 3 yr. I feel like an 18 month old child absolutely should not have such an aversion to vegetables! Any veg I give she either throws on the floor or mutilates on her tray. The 3 yr old boy will take ONE bite if I coerce him, but beyond that it goes down the garbage disposal. I have tried peas, carrots (raw and cooked), brocolli, avocado, celery (with pb), corn, cucumber...you name it.
So, how do you serve vegetables so that kids actually eat and enjoy them? Favorite ways to at least sneak them into foods? Or is this a lost cause?

childcaremom 06:17 AM 01-16-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I offer. They choose to eat or not. I have children who eat fantastically. It might take them a while to do it but generally they all do. I don't have stress about food. Everyone has the chance to eat. Everyone has a relaxed meal environment and they eat or are hungry.
If they don't eat at one meal, they make it up the next.

Exactly how I am. I offer healthy choices and the dcks will eat or not. I have great eaters, as well but even still, I would not be stressing if they choose not to eat certain items. Food battles are not going to be fought here.

I have found that it often takes a lot of attempts/offers before a food is eaten and enjoyed. One little one took a few months before she would eat what was offered to her. Now she eats really well and has a balanced diet while here.
Reply Up