Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Nothing More Annoying.....
TSDaycare 04:00 AM 08-03-2011
This seems to get on my bad side the most!!

When parents arrive early each morning and sit in my driveway!!! I think this is the most irritating and disrespectful thing I deal with here. They are clearly aware that I don't open until 630 because they don't come in until then, but why do you find the need to sit there in front of my house at 615 and act lime your not watching me?? I'm not a blinds person, I like the sunshine to come into my home but gosh I feel like they are watching everything I do while I'm preparing for them to come in! It sets my tone for the morning-puts me in a bad mood. I find it to be only the dads that do it though- the
ones who really don't have to care for their kids-mom does it all!!

Just my vent for the morning-since its been 3 days in a row this week

I wish I could afford to put a gate at the end of my driveway that wouldn't open until 630 on the dot, and it be far enough away they can't see the house!
heyhun77 04:45 AM 08-03-2011
I think it comes from the need to be on time and then things go more smoothly than they thought or traffic was better than expected. I have this and have always wondered why they wouldn't want to spend that extra time at home with their kids but this was exactly what had happened when I asked why they were getting here early.
Cat Herder 05:12 AM 08-03-2011
I put down the time they pull up in the driveway on the sign-in sheet. I have a driveway alarm.

When they come to the door and sign in, the record would show they were 15 minutes early...that adds up to $15 more per day.

BRING IT ON....

Weird how I rarely ever get early arrivals...hmmmm..

Meyou 05:13 AM 08-03-2011
I have two families that arrive early for the same reason. If they waited the 15 minutes at home they could potentially get caught in nasty traffic. They both sit in the car and play with the kids until 7:30.
permanentvacation 05:42 AM 08-03-2011
At least yours sit in your driveway and wait til you open. Mine actually knock on my door and ring the doorbell OVER & OVER typically 10-15 minutes before I'm supposed to open. Then I announce from half-way across the house that they are 15 minutes early. So they just stand there at my DOOR!!! This happens with the same couple of parents constantly. When I open the door at the scheduled opening time, I always tell them that I won't be ready until the scheduled time. But they just come to the door no matter what time they get here!
JenNJ 07:09 AM 08-03-2011
Can you get a few orange construction cones and place them at the end of your driveway until opening? At 6:29 go out and move the cones and that is the sign that you are open for the day. Send out a notice that your liability insurance only covers you from open to close and clients on the property before that time are violating the insurance policy. (I know thats how mine works anyway)
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I put down the time they pull up in the driveway on the sign-in sheet. I have a driveway alarm.

When they come to the door and sign in the record would show they were 15 minutes early...that adds up to $15 more per day.

BRING IT ON....

Weird how I rarely ever get early arrivals...hmmmm..

ditto this^^ I rarely have early arrivals anymore either....it is weird.
nannyde 02:45 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Can you get a few orange construction cones and place them at the end of your driveway until opening? At 6:29 go out and move the cones and that is the sign that you are open for the day. Send out a notice that your liability insurance only covers you from open to close and clients on the property before that time are violating the insurance policy. (I know thats how mine works anyway)
Yes this

I think you will find that when they can't be in the driveway that they stop coming early.

Parents often do this because they want their child buckled in the car seat confined when they have the kid. It's way easier to have a kid in a car seat than it is to supervise them and keep them happy at home.

They want to be in your driveway so they have that security blanket that if anything should happen that you are there to take care of it.

They also want to turn their kid over the second it is humanly possible.

If they take over the driveway no matter what they get to be first and they get to do it at the very second you are open.

If anyone else comes and decides to try to get in early they can get in early too.

Psychologically the parent feels better knowing they can get you on the clock in SOME way by doing the vulture in the driveway. It's rarely ever about traffic. If it was about traffic they would just park down the street and wait.

If it's about traffic they will gladly just park on the street. If it's not about traffic then they will protest.
SandeeAR 04:40 PM 08-03-2011
I had a new parent that knew my opening time. The first day, got here at opening, next two days came 10 min early. I was nice since it was the first week and they were ajusting and let him in. But I reminded him that I didn't open until 7:30. Was told he left the house at the same time each day, and sometimes traffic was lighter than others. (not my problem).

Second week in care, he tries it again. I let him stand at the door and ring and knock. About 7:28, I came to the door. Told him sorry, I was still getting ready, that I didn't get up until 7 am, b/c I didn't open until 7:30. He didn't say anything this time, so I pointed to the blinds and told him....The best way to tell if I am open, is if the blinds are open. If they are closed, I'm closed. I don't open them until 7:30 am.

He hasn't been early since.

I also added this to the bottom of my sign in sheet in large BOLD letters.......HOURS 7:30-5:30. Sort of takes all the guessing out of it on drop off or pick up, since they sign it daily!
Former Teacher 05:36 PM 08-03-2011
I totally understand where you are coming from. BTDT. However we all have done that at one time or another at a place of business (grocery store, Target etc). We all have at one time or another waited outside until the door was unlocked.

Granted-this is a childcare business. I get that. I also understand that its a providers home. But when you get to the bottom of it, a provider is running a business. Nothing you can do about early arrivals. They just have to wait until the door is unlocked and the sign says open.
Sugar Magnolia 05:52 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yes this

If it's about traffic they will gladly just park on the street. If it's not about traffic then they will protest.
If they arrive early, its because there was so little traffic. If they are late, its because there was too much traffic. Traffic. The blame all.
Sunshine44 07:38 PM 08-03-2011
I see this differently. I would be SO happy if my parents came and waited in their car. It shows they ARE respecting you by not coming inside or to the door early. I wouldn't care. Who cares if they like to be on time? I am that person that gets to EVERYTHING early because I like to be on time and yes, I do sit in the car and WAIT. haha. It doesn't mean I'm horrible or trying to overtake someone.

Also, I do not agree with Nan...not every parent wants to be rid of their child. It's so odd that you always think this.

Are they calling you? Ringing your bell? Asking to come in? NO, they are sitting politely IN THEIR CAR until you open. If you don't want them to see you walking around getting ready then close the blinds! It's really not a big deal. If you don't want them in YOUR driveway, ask them to park on the side of the road. And Nan, if I saw someone sitting "down the road" I would think they were nuts. When you take your kids to school or practice early do you sit "down the road"? No, you sit in the parking lot and wait until time! Insane!
familyschoolcare 08:05 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
I see this differently. I would be SO happy if my parents came and waited in their car. It shows they ARE respecting you by not coming inside or to the door early. I wouldn't care. Who cares if they like to be on time? I am that person that gets to EVERYTHING early because I like to be on time and yes, I do sit in the car and WAIT. haha. It doesn't mean I'm horrible or trying to overtake someone.

Also, I do not agree with Nan...not every parent wants to be rid of their child. It's so odd that you always think this.

Are they calling you? Ringing your bell? Asking to come in? NO, they are sitting politely IN THEIR CAR until you open. If you don't want them to see you walking around getting ready then close the blinds! It's really not a big deal. If you don't want them in YOUR driveway, ask them to park on the side of the road. And Nan, if I saw someone sitting "down the road" I would think they were nuts. When you take your kids to school or practice early do you sit "down the road"? No, you sit in the parking lot and wait until time! Insane!
I agree with your take on this. BTW when I was a single mother going to school and working part time, I was one of those people that sat in the car and waited for the family day care to open. I would have loved to have some sort of sign like the blinds to know that she was ready for the day I just went by my car clock and sometimes I could tell she could have used another 1 or 2 mins. I did this B/C day care opened at 7:00 and my first class was at 7:30.
nannyde 03:30 AM 08-04-2011

Oh it's not insanity. It's experience.

The OP said:When parents arrive early each morning and sit in my driveway!!!

She doesn't have a parking lot for the parents. She only has her own family home driveway. There's a big difference. It's impolite to sit in someones family driveway on their family time. That time of the day the business is closed and they are using her driveway on her PERSONAL time.

Why is sitting down the road nuts? Sit down a few houses down where you aren't in eyeshot of the provider and when it's time put the car in D and scurry into the driveway. Better yet. Park down the street and when you know you are fifteen minutes early get your kids out of the car and take them for a good sprint walk up and down the sidewalk. The kids will love it and by the end of the week you will get a couple of miles of exercise.

The OP said: I find it to be only the dads that do it though- the
ones who really don't have to care for their kids-mom does it all!!

I rest my case.

You said: I see this differently. I would be SO happy if my parents came and waited in their car.

Does this mean you are having parents come early and then COME IN to your house early? If that's the case then I get your idea that it's better to have them in the driveway.
Kaddidle Care 04:47 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I pointed to the blinds and told him....The best way to tell if I am open, is if the blinds are open. If they are closed, I'm closed.
I used to do this as well. Blinds open, porch light on when I was ready. I used to watch my neighbor's child so they could see across the street when I was ready for them.

I don't think I ever had him banging on my door before I was ready.
Cat Herder 07:54 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
I did this B/C day care opened at 7:00 and my first class was at 7:30.
I see your point but if you knew the hours would not work well for you, why did you choose that daycare?

I am not trying to be spiteful, I really just don't understand the thinking of that... I have had to deal with this too often. I actually had to add "Please make sure these hours work for you BEFORE enrolling your child" to my contract.

Why is it OK to be on her property early, making her and her family uncomfortable, because you chose a daycare that does not fit your schedule...

Do you see my point??
familyschoolcare 08:12 AM 08-04-2011
The hours did work for me I needed to drop my children at 7:00 and she opened at 7:00. If I remember correctly I parked on the street because I do not like backing up if at all possible. If she did not want someone to drop their children off at 7:00 then she should not open at 7:00. Oh by the way the day care provider never had a problem with this it was never brought up by her she never look sad/disrupted that I dropped the children at that time. During the our first interview I said I will be dropping the children at 7:00 sharp. She said that OK with me.

I understand the whole driveway thing being a little to personally invasive for a person/family to be waiting there. I was simply trying to make the point that not every parent does that for negative reasons.
Cat Herder 09:07 AM 08-04-2011
The hours did work for me I needed to drop my children at 7:00 and she opened at 7:00. If I remember correctly I parked on the street because I do not like backing up if at all possible. If she did not want someone to drop their children off at 7:00 then she should not open at 7:00. Oh by the way the day care provider never had a problem with this it was never brought up by her she never look sad/disrupted that I dropped the children at that time. During the our first interview I said I will be dropping the children at 7:00 sharp. She said that OK with me.

I understand the whole driveway thing being a little to personally invasive for a person/family to be waiting there. I was simply trying to make the point that not every parent does that for negative reasons.
OK, that makes sense.

I agree with the fact that providers should not make hours they don't want to keep. If you offer the service, then you should not begrudge someone when they use it.

Simple enough concept for me. Thanks!!
youretooloud 12:10 PM 08-04-2011
That doesn't happen to me. But, I have some that will pull up in front of the front window (at pick up time), then have a 30 minute conversation on the phone while the child is expecting them to come right in.

My window is 12 inches wide, why pull up DIRECTLY in front of it if you aren't going to come in... it's not like I don't have lots of other spots to park.
Sunshine44 04:39 PM 08-04-2011
In my opinion, having a daycare in your home does mean some of your personal space is open for others. To me, if you run a daycare, your drive way IS your parking lot. Why do you care if they are sitting in it doing nothing? Why can you not go about your business if they are respecting your open time and waiting in the car. It isn't like they are staying in your drive an hour after closing, that ok, maybe odd. But waiting nicely in the drive way for you to open is normal behavior. If you go to a store early do you not wait for them to open? Yea, I'm sure you have. Some people like to be early or on time, if they are not coming in and bothering you I do not see the problem.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, I'm just stating mine. No my parents do not arrive early, sometimes they come later, but I would LOVE for them to be on time so I can start my day. If they sat in the drive way I would know they respect me by not coming in until it was time.

Also, how is sitting in front of someone elses house acceptable??? Even out on the street. If they are coming to YOU for business, they should be able to park in front of your house at least. Some things you are right about Nan, I'll give you that. But sometimes you are way off base and you assume every parent is out to get rid of their child and that isn't always the case. Are you constantly trying to get rid of your own child? If not, then why on Earth do you think every other parent is?? Do you think all of us daycare providers want to drop our kids and do these things you say?? If not, then again, how much other parents are treated like this?

I know there are bad parents/clients, it is like that with every job, but not everyone is out to get you. If you feel that way, you live a paranoid life. JMO
mom2many 05:18 PM 08-04-2011
I've never experienced this issue, but as long as they didn't knock at my door until 7 am when I open, I don't think it would bother me if they sat there for 30 minutes!

However, I have had parents drive up and chat on their phone in front of my house at pickup time. When the child gets all excited when they see their car drive up and no one comes in to get them right away...that makes me CRAZY!
Cat Herder 05:40 PM 08-04-2011
In my opinion, having a daycare in your home does mean some of your personal space is open for others. To me, if you run a daycare, your drive way IS your parking lot. Why do you care if they are sitting in it doing nothing? Why can you not go about your business if they are respecting your open time and waiting in the car.
Because I can't pull back in it to start my workday AFTER driving my kids to work/school, meeting my Husband/Dad/Brother for a nice breakfast/coffee out when I have the chance or dropping off meals to a couple local seniors.

Occasionally I am coming in from my second job or back from the million other errands I run.

Half my day is finished BEFORE the first daycare kid arrives...

Funny how folks assume we are ONLY the Daycare Provider.
familyschoolcare 05:53 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Because I can't pull back in it to start my workday AFTER driving my kids to work/school, meeting my Husband/Dad/Brother for a nice breakfast/coffee out when I have the chance or dropping off meals to a couple local seniors.

Half my day is finished BEFORE the first daycare kid arrives...

Funny how folks assume we are ONLY the Daycare Provider.
If the problem is that you need to park in your drive away then address that issue. Create a new police stating that your drive way is for the use of you and your family only. In order for parents to comply with it you might/will have to attach a fee.
Cat Herder 05:55 PM 08-04-2011
My parents do respect my policies, FSC...I don't have this issue.

I am explaining to Sushine why it matters to many providers.

Lot's go to the gym or running track, too...
familyschoolcare 06:08 PM 08-04-2011
I am so glad I do not actually have to deal with this issue. I live in a fourplex, and do not have a drive way I have an alley that only has one parking spot for the building and one for my building and the building next door to share. Therefore, I do not even show the alley to the parents as it is not used for day care. I Do not even park there when coming back form picking children up from school as parking there is father from my front door.
Cat Herder 06:31 PM 08-04-2011
I am so glad I do not actually have to deal with this issue. I live in a fourplex, and do not have a drive way I have an alley that only has one parking spot for the building and one for my building and the building next door to share. Therefore, I do not even show the alley to the parents as it is not used for day care. I Do not even park there when coming back form picking children up from school as parking there is father from my front door.
That sounds wonderful!!

Mine is a long, winding and steeply graded driveway that leads right down to the window of the daycare.

I go through lots of salt/gravel and live in fear of one of the more "flaky" parents vehicles coming right through one day....

I won't let the kids go to that side of the playroom until after everyone is here in winter. Just one of those things in the back of my head all the time...
momofboys 07:47 PM 08-04-2011
In my opinion, having a daycare in your home does mean some of your personal space is open for others. To me, if you run a daycare, your drive way IS your parking lot. Why do you care if they are sitting in it doing nothing? Why can you not go about your business if they are respecting your open time and waiting in the car. It isn't like they are staying in your drive an hour after closing, that ok, maybe odd. But waiting nicely in the drive way for you to open is normal behavior. If you go to a store early do you not wait for them to open? Yea, I'm sure you have. Some people like to be early or on time, if they are not coming in and bothering you I do not see the problem.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, I'm just stating mine. No my parents do not arrive early, sometimes they come later, but I would LOVE for them to be on time so I can start my day. If they sat in the drive way I would know they respect me by not coming in until it was time.

Also, how is sitting in front of someone elses house acceptable??? Even out on the street. If they are coming to YOU for business, they should be able to park in front of your house at least. Some things you are right about Nan, I'll give you that. But sometimes you are way off base and you assume every parent is out to get rid of their child and that isn't always the case. Are you constantly trying to get rid of your own child? If not, then why on Earth do you think every other parent is?? Do you think all of us daycare providers want to drop our kids and do these things you say?? If not, then again, how much other parents are treated like this?

I know there are bad parents/clients, it is like that with every job, but not everyone is out to get you. If you feel that way, you live a paranoid life. JMO
It would be an issue for me also. Our road is one that you can't park on, it is not permitted. Our driveway is narrow. If a daycare parent was parked waiting to come in for opening they would have to move most mornings to allow my husband to leave. Typically he is leaving at 6:20, my earliest family when they were coming was due to drop off at 6:30 - if they came early it would create a problem with my husband leaving.
Unregistered 06:33 AM 08-05-2011
If they are in your way, then YES, please discuss it with them that you need to get in/out of driveway...but it should be your responsibility to have somewhere for them to park, even early. IMO.

I have had parents that blocked my hubby in the driveway before. I had to tell them to park on the side of my house. They all do and it isn't an issue anymore, but do I care if they come and park in my yard for 30 min before I start? NO! If they are NOT in my way, bothering me, coming to my door early then why does it matter? This is what I'm saying...

Do you find it acceptable for them to park on the curb in front of your house early????
CheekyChick 09:24 AM 08-05-2011
I would much prefer a parent politely sit in my driveway (if they arrive early) than to knock on my door while I have a curling iron in my hair. As long as they don't knock before 7:30 a.m., they are welcome to sit in my driveway as long as they'd like.
SandeeAR 02:30 PM 08-06-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I would much prefer a parent politely sit in my driveway (if they arrive early) than to knock on my door while I have a curling iron in my hair. As long as they don't knock before 7:30 a.m., they are welcome to sit in my driveway as long as they'd like.
I agree with this.
cheerfuldom 06:52 PM 08-06-2011
tell them to knock it off OR keep blinds and curtains closed that they can peer through. My driveway does not allow for them to see into the house and I don't care how long they are out there, I'm not opening early. The problem here is parents taking up to 20 minutes to get their kid from my door to the car seat! Its crazy. I just worry that they are tearing up the yard or getting hurt out there. Luckily my last family that did this is no longer here.
Tags:choose the right provider, early arrival, early arrival - policy, early arrival fee, enforcing policies - consistency, lingering parents
Reply Up