Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Oh NO!!!

I need help, I heat the babies breastmilk in a pan on the stove. Well it was on and I went in to turn it off well I accidentally turned it the wrong way went to help a child and forgot about it, well it would have been fine if I actually did turn it off, but it was boiling so now the bottles are super super hot, is the milk bad now when it cools??????
Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Mama Bee

It won't have any nutrients left in it. You aren't supposed to boil breastmilk, period, you put it in a room temp cup of water and let it slowly come up in temp
Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Yeah -- it is ruined now. You are much better off using hot water in a bowl or glass to warm the bottle. Direct heat ruins breastmilk.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Mama Bee

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health...east_milk.aspx
Old 07-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

I just heat up a coffee mug of water in the microwave for a few seconds, then let the bottle of milk warm up in there for a bit.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Family Childcare Home

Yeah heating it up too much cooks the nutrients out of it. I just let the water run hot from the faucet and put it in a saucepan then put the bottle in it before I had a bottle warmer.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks everyone, that's what I thought, the milk wasn't boiling it's in a glass bottle, it was hot but not boiling. This is the way the mom told me to do it since I didn't have a bottle warmer and that's how my last parent had me do it, usually I put it in the saucepan on very low then turn it off and let warm milk get warm but like I said I was in a hurry to help another child and turned it the wrong way. At least they were in glass bottles. so that was a little embarrassing.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Child Care Provider

There is only one baby on breastmilk and we put a coffee mug with some water in the microwave for less than a minute and then put the plastic bottle in the cup to warm up. The microwave is very convenient to heat up and is safer to use with other kids around. All you need is the standard microwave and a big coffee cup!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Mama Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderhearts View Post
Thanks everyone, that's what I thought, the milk wasn't boiling it's in a glass bottle, it was hot but not boiling. This is the way the mom told me to do it since I didn't have a bottle warmer and that's how my last parent had me do it, usually I put it in the saucepan on very low then turn it off and let warm milk get warm but like I said I was in a hurry to help another child and turned it the wrong way. At least they were in glass bottles. so that was a little embarrassing.
If you are going to do it that way dont put the bottle into the sauce pan while you are warming the water (it cooks out the nutrients) warm the water, take the pan off the stove and THEN put the bottle in. There may be a misunderstanding in what the mom was telling you. I have all breastfed babies and breastfed my own and you never heat breastmilk like that there will literally be nothing left of the milk but water.

But honestly it is much easier and faster just to fill a cup with hot tap water and set the bottle in it for 10 mins.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks, I think I'll start doing that, especially since it could get easily forgotten. We actually said to heat it in the saucepan like that which is what my other parent told me as well, or she said I can leave it out for so many hours until it's room temperature, but I felt like if I did that it would spoil since it's summer and it gets hot, I've only had 2 breastfed babies so I'm glad I know this now. thanks again
Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

I LOVE my bottle warmer, especially when they get fussy and graze sometimes, I can put it in the warmer and try again in 15 minutes. They are inexpensive too!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

I actually was thinking about getting one, I think I might look into that this weekend.

Tags
breast milk