Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fav DCM Questioning Me
Core12 02:37 AM 12-14-2018
Received a text from dcm, “each day I try to make conversation with Jeff (2yrs old). I ask what he learned throughout the day and he never says anything. I also ask him what he had for lunch. Everyday, He tells me hotdogs.
I replied, “we had chicken Alfredo”, I read books to him, we worked on not hitting or kicking others. He played a lot and we worked on some counting.”
She seemed satisfied
The next day we ate spaghetti and I sent her a pic. She said he told her he ate a ham sandwich. Not sure if she was trying to diffuse the situation by saying that or if he really said that.
Yesterday, I told Jeff that we were eating caviar. We were really eating pizza, but I just wanted to see if he would repeat that.
Josiegirl 03:27 AM 12-14-2018
Not sure what her goal is but hasn't she ever heard of the old TV show 'Kids say the darndest things?' Lol
I once had a 3 yo dcb who told dcm every day that I fed him bread and water.
Core12 04:20 AM 12-14-2018
Thanks for your feedback!
Pestle 05:04 AM 12-14-2018
I have a 2yo whose mom keeps coming in worried because he's been aggressive and he's starting reporting to her daily that he hit Billy. He has never hit Billy, and Billy only comes Fridays.
e.j. 05:51 AM 12-14-2018
I had my niece in day care when she was younger. She used to go home every day and tell my sil that she had chicken nuggets for lunch. Two year olds aren't very reliable witnesses.
Rockgirl 05:56 AM 12-14-2018
A two year old has no concept of time. If dcm is asking what he had for lunch today, he doesn’t even understand what that means. Ever notice how young kids say “yesterday” for any day in the past? They don’t get it yet. And her asking him what he learned today....that’s a complex question for a two year old!
Snowmom 08:17 AM 12-14-2018
I'd tell her to be prepared for those kind of answers for the next 10 years.

I ask my 8 and 11 year old what they learned in school every day and the answer is "nothing".

Ariana 09:39 AM 12-14-2018
2 year olds cannot retain memories, that comes closer to 5. This is why kids live in the present moment and come up with such random ideas. He is answering with the first thing that pops into his head.

I had a kid who told her mom we watched My Little Pony, she had a new pink bed in my room etc. I could tell mom thought I was lying when I said no! Not much I could do except to start pointing out things this kid said about home “do you guys have a cat named Emily? This is what Jane has been telling us”....then she clued in!
Firefly 10:21 AM 12-14-2018
A lot of times kids say things that aren’t true. Reminds me of the saying that goes something like “If you only believe half of what your kid says about me, I’ll only believe half of what he says about you!”
jenboo 10:42 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
2 year olds cannot retain memories, that comes closer to 5. This is why kids live in the present moment and come up with such random ideas. He is answering with the first thing that pops into his head.

I had a kid who told her mom we watched My Little Pony, she had a new pink bed in my room etc. I could tell mom thought I was lying when I said no! Not much I could do except to start pointing out things this kid said about home “do you guys have a cat named Emily? This is what Jane has been telling us”....then she clued in!

Just curious... my DS has an amazing memory. When we were getting out christmas decorations he told us about how daddy was going to lift him up to put the star on top of the tree like last year. I didn't even remember that haha. He remembers so much... but still doesn't know his colors he just turned 3. It's it true that kids don't keep memories until closer to 5?
lovemykidstoo 10:56 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I'd tell her to be prepared for those kind of answers for the next 10 years.

I ask my 8 and 11 year old what they learned in school every day and the answer is "nothing".
lol so true!

I get this all the time from parents. My favorite one was when a parent questioned something that did or didn't happen. I can't remember now what it was, but my response was, if you understand that that's just a story, I'll do the same with the story of how your son said you hold him upside down, put his head in the toilet and flush it either hahaha Didn't have him question anything after that lol
amberrose3dg 10:59 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
lol so true!

I get this all the time from parents. My favorite one was when a parent questioned something that did or didn't happen. I can't remember now what it was, but my response was, if you understand that that's just a story, I'll do the same with the story of how your son said you hold him upside down, put his head in the toilet and flush it either hahaha Didn't have him question anything after that lol
I had a kid at 8 tell his mom i didn't feed him or his 2 year old brother because he wasnt allowed to run my house like he wanted. She believed him without coming to me!
Adults should know this.
lovemykidstoo 11:04 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I had a kid at 8 tell his mom i didn't feed him or his 2 year old brother because he wasnt allowed to run my house like he wanted. She believed him without coming to me!
Adults should know this.
There's a genius hahahaha was she torked over that bs story?
nannyde 12:16 PM 12-14-2018
"wait till he's a teenager. Then you will hear some whoppers."
Ariana 12:43 PM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Just curious... my DS has an amazing memory. When we were getting out christmas decorations he told us about how daddy was going to lift him up to put the star on top of the tree like last year. I didn't even remember that haha. He remembers so much... but still doesn't know his colors he just turned 3. It's it true that kids don't keep memories until closer to 5?
I should clarify they don’t keep short term memories but they can retain some long term memories so my guess is something about that moment was special enough to have gone into his long term memory to recall later.
Unregistered 01:12 PM 12-14-2018
Ha ha, My daycare kids always tell their parents that they had macaroni. It happens to be their favorite and only really get it once in two weeks but that is what the remember cause they like it.

Side note, my 4 year old grandson told my daughter that on their daily walk grampa took him over to the prison and they went inside and talked to all the bad guys. Didn't happen.... we do live near a maximum security prison and they pass it every day on the way home so maybe that is where the story came from. Who knows with kids...

He also told his teacher that mommy takes drugs.... she does... the ones that prevent any more little storytellers like him. LOL She had to have a talk with the teacher Ugggg.
Unregistered 09:19 AM 12-15-2018
Had the same problem with a little girl last year who was 3. Mom questioning me on some outlandish stories. I started reporting back the things the little girl was saying about her home. Mom stopped when I reported back that the little girl watched me powder a baby at changing time that day and said mommy puts that baby powder in her nose. Mommy is a well respected surgeon and her husband a minister. The look on her face was priceless. Stopped the reporting back instantly
knoxmomof2 05:03 PM 12-15-2018
Haha... Love this! 😂

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Had the same problem with a little girl last year who was 3. Mom questioning me on some outlandish stories. I started reporting back the things the little girl was saying about her home. Mom stopped when I reported back that the little girl watched me powder a baby at changing time that day and said mommy puts that baby powder in her nose. Mommy is a well respected surgeon and her husband a minister. The look on her face was priceless. Stopped the reporting back instantly

jenboo 10:16 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I should clarify they don’t keep short term memories but they can retain some long term memories so my guess is something about that moment was special enough to have gone into his long term memory to recall later.
Ah so crazy. Im always amazed at what this kid remembers...
LK5kids 01:46 AM 12-16-2018
Even when I taught kindergarten kids told parents they did "nothing" and our days were jam packed with activities. This was all day K!

Kids just have a hard time with this question. There's tips for older kids like asking more specific ?'s, but a two yr old-no way!!!! Haha! No they are not very reliable witnesses!

Yes, kids will say the craziest things! Like where did that come from??? ��
Tags:kids say the strangest things, parents - don't trust
Reply Up