Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Loose Parts--Two Questions
SilverSabre25 11:07 AM 05-06-2014
What are some things that I can have as "loose parts" outside? I'm trying to think of things that won't get quickly ruined by the elements and are big enough to be cleaned up easily...

Also, how do you go about having loose parts NOT look like a collection of trash that doesn't belong, both inside and out?
llpa 11:31 AM 05-06-2014
I have used pinecones, plastic containers and lids, seed pods, seashells and pool noodles sliced in sections. I store them in bins inside an outdoor storage bench (step2, I think?). Bigger items like larger river rocks, log pieces and flat wood "medallions" cut from logs go into the large plastic tubs that have rope handles. I almost think of "loose parts" like a gigantic sensory bin outdoors i keep it all in one area of the outdoor space w a picnic table nearby and buckets etc. So when the bins are full and the bench is closed it isn't bad looking at all.
Annalee 11:34 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
What are some things that I can have as "loose parts" outside? I'm trying to think of things that won't get quickly ruined by the elements and are big enough to be cleaned up easily...

Also, how do you go about having loose parts NOT look like a collection of trash that doesn't belong, both inside and out?
I have some pvc pipe cut in pieces with fittings the kids can build with. We keep them in a tote for outside play.
originalkat 11:42 AM 05-06-2014
Here are a few fun ideas:

MarinaVanessa 12:48 PM 05-06-2014
Gutters (vinyl) are relatively inexpensive and can stand the elements. So do pvc piping and connectors. These are all fun for making ball/marble ramps and other contraptions and also don't look "junky" from being left outside.

Wooden boxes too. You can stain the boxes every so often (2-3 years) so they look nice. Kids love stacking, flipping and adding parts to them to turn them into other things.
kathiemarie 07:20 AM 05-07-2014
What I'm looking for and I hope someone can help me is ex large tinker toys. I mean huge out side size. I saw them at a park in New York City and the kids were having a blast. I figured if they can handle the snow, rain, sun, ocean breeze they would last a long time. Any suggestions where I can find them?
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
What I'm looking for and I hope someone can help me is ex large tinker toys. I mean huge out side size. I saw them at a park in New York City and the kids were having a blast. I figured if they can handle the snow, rain, sun, ocean breeze they would last a long time. Any suggestions where I can find them?
Here are a couple similar items

http://www.toobeez.com/

http://www.jumbotinkertoys.com/life-...nker-toys.html

kathiemarie 07:52 AM 05-07-2014
Yes, very close! I knew you would come to the rescue. Thanks BC.
Reply Up