Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Dad
Ariana 06:39 AM 09-17-2019
I have a DCD who shows up whenever he feels like it. It could be anywhere from 8:50am to 9:45am. Needless to say he is becoming a PITA. He is interfering with diapering, snack time, morning naps etc. I brought this up to him and we agreed on a window of 15 minutes where he is allowed to drop off. Between 9:15-9:30am. He agreed.

Now he is back to dropping off whenever again. I don’t mind if he gets here before 9:30am but he is ALWAYS late now. Yesterday it was 9:40am, today he is still not here at 9:40 as I write this.

Any ideas on consequences? Just don’t answer the door?
Ariana 07:01 AM 09-17-2019
I told him off again so hopefully it sinks in. I think going forward I am not answering the door after 9:30am.

Annoying
Annalee 07:14 AM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I told him off again so hopefully it sinks in. I think going forward I am not answering the door after 9:30am.

Annoying
My door is locked at 8. Only takes once and they get it
rosieteddy 08:28 AM 09-17-2019
Lock the door.
Ariana 08:45 AM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My door is locked at 8. Only takes once and they get it
Totally going to do this!
Cat Herder 09:59 AM 09-17-2019
I put a drop-off cut-off time in my policies, I set it to coincide with morning snack time. It fixed it. I don't just lock the door and ignore because this always ended up with them ringing the bell, knocking and disrupting us, anyway. When I see/hear them pull up (driveway alarm/camera) I walk out and tell them I am not accepting late arrivals. Face to face, before they can get their child out of the car seat works fastest. I then walk back in, it takes 30-45 seconds depending on the weather.

I do have the exclusion for well-child checks, with notice, at least the day prior. They bring their updated immunization form or health report as proof. Win/Win.
Unregistered 10:14 AM 09-17-2019
9:31 sounds like a great time to leave for a walk.
DaveA 12:06 PM 09-17-2019
I don't have a formal cut off time, but I also don't change my schedule for late drop offs. First couple times they try to drop off and we're at store/ library/ zoo/ etc. they get the hint.
AmyKidsCo 12:14 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
9:31 sounds like a great time to leave for a walk.
That's a great idea. I once had a family that consistently dropped off at 6:58 - my open time is 7:00. I figured if you can arrive consistently at 6:58 you can figure out how to arrive at 7:00. One day when they were coming late I took the kids for a walk, locked the doors, and was careful not to arrive home again until the exact time they said. They were standing there waiting for us.

Personally I don't mind late drop offs or early pick ups, except in the middle of nap. But I understand how they can be disruptive for some people.
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
That's a great idea. I once had a family that consistently dropped off at 6:58 - my open time is 7:00. I figured if you can arrive consistently at 6:58 you can figure out how to arrive at 7:00. One day when they were coming late I took the kids for a walk, locked the doors, and was careful not to arrive home again until the exact time they said. They were standing there waiting for us.

Personally I don't mind late drop offs or early pick ups, except in the middle of nap. But I understand how they can be disruptive for some people.
That probably drives me more insane than anything.
I understand prompt and all and I appreciate it but for me since I don't live in my daycare it's one of THE most annoying things ever.

It makes me feel "pushed" and I don't like that.
I make coffee and prep for the day. Most times I don't even turn the lights on for fear they'll all swarm in like bugs to the blue light.

If I arrive earlier than normal for whatever reason I swear a couple of my families can sense it and they arrive early too. I have verbally stated (very clearly) and in newsletters that NO PARENT is to be on the property until their scheduled times.

Usually I get "Oh, I didn't realize it was so early" or "Oh wow...I guess traffic wasn't as bad as I thought" ...

Of course the kids always out the parent and says something like "Mom said we had to leave early today but you weren't here yet so we drove around the block"or "Dad is sleeping in so we had to come as soon as we got up" or they'll just outright ask "Why weren't you here? We came early today and the lights weren't on"

Mostly these early arrivals happen on Mondays. Can't imagine why.
AmyKidsCo 01:18 PM 09-17-2019
I DO live in my daycare and it still drives me nuts.

Like I said - if you can consistently leave your house in time to arrive at 6:58 you can consistently leave your house in time to arrive at 7:00.

My favorite is "She/He got up early so we came early" and "She/He wanted to come early so we did."
Ariana 03:23 PM 09-17-2019
This guy is beyond annoying! When they signed up I knew it was going to be from 9-3:30pm. He made it here by 9am until this summer and then it slowly started creeping up. I let it go because I had less kids. Now I am full and it is no longer working. I confronted the issue last week and he told me he could be here. He managed it for two days and then this week he is creeping back to 9:40am.

He said to me today when I confronted him “would it be better if I came earlier” and I said “yes earlier works much better for me but you have to be here when you say you will be here” and he said “yes earlier works better for me too we have actually been getting ready much earlier so that is perfect”. So you just stay home twiddling your thumbs until you show up late?

Parents My contract is 12 pages long and I STILL have not covered every itty bitty detail yet
springv 04:59 PM 09-17-2019
We are opened from 6am until 6pm, parents are allowed to drop off and pick up whenever but we let them know that if they drop off after 8 they don't get breakfast and If they pick up after 6, that its five dollars per minute and to not drop off between 12 & 2 because of nap
Annalee 06:25 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
We are opened from 6am until 6pm, parents are allowed to drop off and pick up whenever but we let them know that if they drop off after 8 they don't get breakfast and If they pick up after 6, that its five dollars per minute and to not drop off between 12 & 2 because of nap
I am finding parents today need "boundaries" more than the kids do. If I was open 6-6, I would have the same kids 6-6. Did that years ago! Have now went to 6-4:30 with a 9.5 hour limit not to exceed 4:30 and and 8:00 cut-off for drop-off. I love it so much better. just reached a point years ago, something had to change!
Lil_Diddle 08:28 PM 09-17-2019
I do not accept kids after 9am unless the child has a morning appointment that makes them late. In that case parents must give me notice. I got tired of waiting around to start activities waiting for one child, or that child coming in disrupts an activity we have started. Or parents decide they should sleep inn and then child doesn’t take a nap.
Ms.Kay 06:01 AM 09-18-2019
I inform parents in the interview....if they say they have an "about time" 10 ish...ect....they're will be many times where you will have to call and find out where we are....I have other kids in my care and will not let parents hold me up because they have a flexibility to drop at different times. Just this summer I had a dad look for me......he said he drove around for an hour...and missed a call. Not my problem.
Unregistered 01:35 PM 09-18-2019
I have parents arrive prior to me opening my gate at 7:00. I never open it early. I make them wait with their kids. My parents drop off through my side gate and it’s locked so no door knocking or doorbells. So far it’s working.
littlefriends 02:37 PM 09-18-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have parents arrive prior to me opening my gate at 7:00. I never open it early. I make them wait with their kids. My parents drop off through my side gate and it’s locked so no door knocking or doorbells. So far it’s working.
I ended up putting a sign on my door that says I open at 7 and do not knock in big red letters. I tell parents at interview when I’m touring the sign in/out area that they need to take that sign super seriously because if they go ahead and knock anyway I’ll be answering the door while holding their child’s things and a termination letter!
Unregistered 09:08 AM 09-19-2019
I holler through the door I’m busy! Sometimes they wait for 5-10 minutes depending on what I’m doing.
Hunni Bee 11:49 AM 09-19-2019
I always get reminded of the time I came in to my 1st daycare job at 6 am to tidy up a bit one morning. We didn't open til 6:30. There were two super boundary-pushing moms that always got there at 6:10 and would chat until I got there around 6:25.

They got there that day, saw lights on and proceeded to ring the bell, bang on the door and holler from 6:10 to 6:28 when I wordlessly unlocked the door 😐😐
Tags:drop off policy, drop-off cut-off time
Reply Up