Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outside Time Screamer
BumbleBee 02:06 PM 12-13-2013
What happens when parents never take their almost 2 year old outside to play?

The kid screams bloody murder the entire hour we are outside.

Kid is pt. We went through this last spring the first time he had to walk on grass. Went through it again the first time he had to walk on the sidewalk.

Today it's the first time walking in snow. Full on scream for an hour. I knelt down and talked to him but didn't pick him up.

I had to walk away and help another child so dcb threw himself down for a tantrum. You can imagine how happy he was then, laying in the snow that he hated walking in.

I helped him up but didn't pick him up.

I don't want to hold him the whole time we're out. Tried letting him sit on the step-still screamed. Tried sitting in the sled-scream.

Any ideas? Or just let him scream?
Cradle2crayons 02:15 PM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
What happens when parents never take their almost 2 year old outside to play?

The kid screams bloody murder the entire hour we are outside.

Kid is pt. We went through this last spring the first time he had to walk on grass. Let's not forget the first time he had to walk on the sidewalk.

Today it's the first time walking in snow. Even better he threw himself down
it's terribly sad. I have a family of three kids who never go outside at home either. Which is really weird here in the south. They LOVE it outside here though.

It's a very difficult situation for you though because he child is part time.
mema 02:16 PM 12-13-2013
I had one of those!! He was 2 also. It was a long spring/summer/fall last year. Thankfully I am on a corner and have a lot of yard between me and my neighbor next to me. Now his brother is starting to do it.
BumbleBee 02:18 PM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
it's terribly sad. I have a family of three kids who never go outside at home either. Which is really weird here in the south. They LOVE it outside here though.

It's a very difficult situation for you though because he child is part time.
Sorry, hit publish before I was done.

It is sad. I just hope this doesn't last aaaallll winter.
providerandmomof4 02:36 PM 12-14-2013
I have a dcg who is 2 who sometimes screams while we are outside. She says "cold" and screams and cries. It's the same story...she wants me to hold her. It's like she's fine playing for a few minutes them she starts following me around saying, "pick up," then when I don't and tell her to play with her friends, she starts screaming that she's cold. I bundle them up, and I know she's not physically uncomfortable. She just doesn't want to play outside. I just let her cry cause the others need that time to burn off energy.
Josiegirl 04:19 PM 12-14-2013
I don't think there's anything else you can do. If he's not cold, not hurt, not sick, not anything wrong with him...you have other kids to help and play with. I hate to say it like this but I think he's just going to have to 'get over it'. And why do the parents not take him outside?? Maybe it's time to send home an article about the benefits of outside time for children!

I had a little girl who was upset when the sun was bright. Then another who screamed when the little black flies came out. They certainly make life interesting, don't they?

I cringe when a kid starts screaming while we're outside, always wondering what the neighbors must think.
Tags:outside play, screamer
Reply Up