Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Switching To Contracted Hours-Yea!
providerandmomof4 11:46 AM 01-01-2014
I sent home a new rate/schedule sheet for 2014. The only parents it really effected was my problem (late pay, late schedule, dcb with behavior issues) client. My latest schedule is now 4:30 instead of her 6:30. I gave her 2 wks notice and really planned on losing her. I told her that if the new scheduling didn't work for her then her last day would be Jan 10th, and to let me know her decision by this Friday. Not a real sad moment for me either.

So, long story short: She writes me a long text that she guesses she will take the 4:30 schedule but in not so many words, says that she doesn't know if she'll be able to survive on working less hours. Because of me.... WTH? She also said that she is upset that she wasn't made aware that the late schedule was an issue for me!

I'm sorry, but here is your formal notice that your schedule is an issue for me! I feel like telling her to do what she needs to do...and so will I! I mean, I understand her being upset that I no longer am willing to work her late schedule, but what makes her think she has the right to complain to me about it. I am not going to apologize for doing what I feel is right for me and my family/business. To me, she has two options: take the new schedule, or don't. I feel like she was lucky that I even gave her an option of taking a new schedule, when I could've just termed her! Anyone have advice on what to tell this dcm to be truthful, yet professional? Am I being unreasonable? I mean, I am kind of forcing her into a corner?

Btw..this is the same dcm that told me she really, really wanted to try and stay because her kids just love it here, when I told her last week that I would be changing my hours/rates to earlier schedules.
craftymissbeth 11:56 AM 01-01-2014
"DCM, I understand that you have to do what you need to for your family. If these new hours do not work for your situation please remember that I require a written two week notice."
Heidi 12:42 PM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
"DCM, I understand that you have to do what you need to for your family. If these new hours do not work for your situation please remember that I require a written two week notice."

She can feel any way she wants to about it. So can you. You may think she's trying to guilt you, but she probably thinks she's just telling you how she feels. I would just let it go and move on.

Either she'll make it work, or she'll late every day, in which case you can term her. If she keeps complaining about it, I would just say what CMB suggested. Practice it in your head so when it happens, it'll just flow forth.
Shell 03:15 PM 01-01-2014
I was in the same situation as you about a year ago. Dcm was the last to pick up, always late, and didn't really care. When I came up with an earlier closing time, I left it up to her- take it, or leave it. She was very quiet about it, but wound up leaving. Best thing I ever did- I now get done with work earlier, and have time for my own family. Dcm wound up at a center, paying much, much more than what I was charging. Less is more- you gave your notice of hours changing, no need to explain more. She can take it or leave it. Best of luck, and if they do leave, it will make you feel so much better.
MarinaVanessa 10:23 AM 01-02-2014

In person:
"Susan, the notice I sent home with everyone was my formal notice letting everyone know that the previous hours no longer worked for me. I understand that my new hours may be an inconvenience to some families and I understand that families will need to think about their own needs. If you choose to plan on cutting down your hours that is your choice and I am touched that you would make that choice just to keep your children here with me. That is flattering. If you decide that cutting back on your hours doesn't work for you and decide to look for child care elsewhere I completely understand too and there will be no hard feelings on my end even though I will really miss Suzie and Bobby. If it comes to that please let me know and I can give you the number to our local referral agency ... and of course, don't forget to give me a two-week notice."
Starburst 06:24 PM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4:
I sent home a new rate/schedule sheet for 2014. The only parents it really effected was my problem (late pay, late schedule, dcb with behavior issues) client. My latest schedule is now 4:30 instead of her 6:30. I gave her 2 wks notice and really planned on losing her. I told her that if the new scheduling didn't work for her then her last day would be Jan 10th, and to let me know her decision by this Friday. Not a real sad moment for me either.

So, long story short: She writes me a long text that she guesses she will take the 4:30 schedule but in not so many words, says that she doesn't know if she'll be able to survive on working less hours. Because of me.... WTH? She also said that she is upset that she wasn't made aware that the late schedule was an issue for me!

Obviously, she doesn't take hints very well ; She probably needs something more direct and clear that you are not changing your mind like; "Ok, I understand you need those work hours. I'll take that as your leave notice"

I'm sorry, but here is your formal notice that your schedule is an issue for me! I feel like telling her to do what she needs to do...and so will I! I mean, I understand her being upset that I no longer am willing to work her late schedule, but what makes her think she has the right to complain to me about it. I am not going to apologize for doing what I feel is right for me and my family/business. To me, she has two options: take the new schedule, or don't. I feel like she was lucky that I even gave her an option of taking a new schedule, when I could've just termed her! Anyone have advice on what to tell this dcm to be truthful, yet professional? Am I being unreasonable? I mean, I am kind of forcing her into a corner?

Btw..this is the same dcm that told me she really, really wanted to try and stay because her kids just love it here, when I told her last week that I would be changing my hours/rates to earlier schedules.

"I understand your needs for child care, but I am no longer able to fill your child care hour needs. Right now I feel this is the right decision for both business and personal reasons. There are other child care providers in the area that may provide the hours you need." If she keeps pushing just at the end say "I'm sorry you feel that way, but this decision was not made lightly and at this point there is nothing more I can do to help your situation. I wish you and your family the best"
My answers are in magenta.
Tags:contracted hours, contracted hours vs open hours
Reply Up