Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Prepping New Families For Daycare Routine
childcaremom 11:06 AM 05-21-2015
I have 3 new families lined up to start in September and the children are all going to be 1 yo.

I have gone over nap expectations at interview and it is in my policies. I had a mom email yesterday to clarify b/c they want to start working towards our schedule. Great, fantastic!

I was thinking that towards the end of July I would email all of the new parents and remind them of our schedule and nap expectations so that they can start to work towards what it will be like here. Has anyone done this before? I know I can't force parents to follow our schedule or routines at home but I have always approached and presented it to the parents as it being in their child's best interest to be on a similar schedule and that it is one less 'change' when they start daycare. Mostly concerned that children are able to be put down awake and be independent sleepers. Something that all parents were onboard with during interviews.

I guess, too, I am concerned b/c I saw that one of my mom's had posted on the local buy and sell looking for a white noise machine that runs all night. I don't use any special equipment here, the children all go down to bed awake, no bottles in bed, no rocking to sleep, etc. Should I be concerned about this?
AmyKidsCo 01:29 PM 05-21-2015
Not to be harsh, but you can be as concerned as you want, but you still won't be able to change it.

I think that emailing in July is a good idea - put the nap thing in the middle of a "How to help ease the transition to child care" sort of thing.

Personally I'd assume that I'll be "training" them for the first few weeks. I tend to plan on the worst case scenario so if it happens I'm mentally prepared.
Baby Beluga 01:34 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I have 3 new families lined up to start in September and the children are all going to be 1 yo.

I have gone over nap expectations at interview and it is in my policies. I had a mom email yesterday to clarify b/c they want to start working towards our schedule. Great, fantastic!

I was thinking that towards the end of July I would email all of the new parents and remind them of our schedule and nap expectations so that they can start to work towards what it will be like here. Has anyone done this before? I know I can't force parents to follow our schedule or routines at home but I have always approached and presented it to the parents as it being in their child's best interest to be on a similar schedule and that it is one less 'change' when they start daycare. Mostly concerned that children are able to be put down awake and be independent sleepers. Something that all parents were onboard with during interviews.

I guess, too, I am concerned b/c I saw that one of my mom's had posted on the local buy and sell looking for a white noise machine that runs all night. I don't use any special equipment here, the children all go down to bed awake, no bottles in bed, no rocking to sleep, etc. Should I be concerned about this?
I have never done this, but if I was placing my 1 year old in DC for the first time I think I would appreciate an email like this from my provider. Especially if it is written in a way that stresses it is in the best interest for the child.

As far as the sound machine, I wouldn't really worry about that one. Many children and adults use a sound machine or some type of background noise while sleeping.
childcaremom 09:58 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
As far as the sound machine, I wouldn't really worry about that one. Many children and adults use a sound machine or some type of background noise while sleeping.
Good to get another perspective on this. I have had such a hard time getting this latest dcb on schedule and do not want to go through something like this again.
childcaremom 09:58 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Not to be harsh, but you can be as concerned as you want, but you still won't be able to change it.

I think that emailing in July is a good idea - put the nap thing in the middle of a "How to help ease the transition to child care" sort of thing.

Personally I'd assume that I'll be "training" them for the first few weeks. I tend to plan on the worst case scenario so if it happens I'm mentally prepared.
Yes, I agree. These parents were on board with transitioning to our schedule during interview so I am hopeful that they will stick with it
daycare 11:20 AM 05-22-2015
I dont really hand anything out, but I don go over our routines and schedules and tell the parents, especially part time kids that the best thing that they can do to help their child transition to childcare is to follow our routines the best that they can. some parents will and others won't. I don;t care either way...

BUT it seems like more parents than not are wanting to know how we do it....
Tags:nap routine and schedule, new daycare starts
Reply Up