Doesn't bother to see others uncovered in public 21 25.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastfeeding Poll
Country Kids 01:51 PM 03-28-2013
Do/Did you cover

Want to see others cover

Don't Cover

Doesn't bother you to see others uncovered

I'll go ahead and post the official poll these will just be the options and I'll set it up so you can do more then one vote.
just_peachy 01:55 PM 03-28-2013
I voted uncovered, but this is how I looked nursing:

http://www.zazzle.com.au/mother_brea...92060724511961
Heidi 01:56 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:

To me, that's covered.
just_peachy 02:00 PM 03-28-2013
Double post, oops!
just_peachy 02:03 PM 03-28-2013
What would you call this? This is how my big breasted friend nurses. (PS. This is Lucy Lawless! Kinda cool )

http://doublethink.us.com/paala/2012...upport-poster/
MarinaVanessa 02:13 PM 03-28-2013
I covered in public, would appreciate it if others covered as well. I personally don't want to see anybody's nipple or majority of breast.
kathiemarie 02:46 PM 03-28-2013
I understand that breastfeed is natural but I wish BF moms would take into consideration how it make some people feel. I'm so sick of our mentality of "who cares what others feel its my right so I'm going to do what I want!!!" This applies to more than just BF. We have lost all consideration of others. Oh I vote please,cover up.
crazydaycarelady 02:53 PM 03-28-2013
I 100% support breastfeeding but would also appreciate if others covered in public. I think some people purposely don't cover and have an in you face attitude.
CedarCreek 02:56 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I covered in public, would appreciate it if others covered as well. I personally don't want to see anybody's nipple or majority of breast.
Yes.
youretooloud 02:59 PM 03-28-2013
I was discreet. I prefer others be discreet. But, there are ways to be discreet without covering.
just_peachy 03:02 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I was discreet. I prefer others be discreet. But, there are ways to be discreet without covering.
That's my vote.
Scout 03:02 PM 03-28-2013
This. Me too. I rarely nursed in public. I remember only two times, once at 4th of July party where I went off by myself with my cover on, PITA with the wind and the wrong type of chair! The other was when we went to the FarmParks and I sat on a bench by the entrance completely covered, baby covered too....that time was also a PITA but, because there was a huge bee flying around us! After that I would do all our nursing if we had to go out before we left...for example, it would literally take me and the kids almost all day to grocery shop because we go to 3 different stores and I would have to nurse at home between them!! I was just never comfortable with the whole public thing.
Scout 03:04 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
I understand that breastfeed is natural but I wish BF moms would take into consideration how it make some people feel. I'm so sick of our mentality of "who cares what others feel its my right so I'm going to do what I want!!!" This applies to more than just BF. We have lost all consideration of others. Oh I vote please,cover up.
I couldn't agree with you more!
AnneCordelia 03:18 PM 03-28-2013
I never purposefully covered. Sometimes my nursling would nurse while in a sling and that covered. Otherwise I didn't cover up...but I wasn't giving a show either...we were as discreet as possible. I nursed four children and they are like me...they don't like to eat under a blanket.
Country Kids 03:21 PM 03-28-2013
If any of you watch "The Duggars" she can actually WALK around nursing, totally covered and on tv. She is very modest/conservative but is able to nurse on public tv without offending anyone.
sammie 03:35 PM 03-28-2013
I nursed both of my boys. On the rare occasion I needed to nurse in public (the airport, the zoo) I would try to find someplace private and I always covered myself....and I would appreciate it if others did also. BTW...I say rare occasion because when we would go to the store, go out to dinner etc. I would always nurse before we went.
Meeko 03:55 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
To me, that's covered.
Me too.
Lavender 03:56 PM 03-28-2013
Can't vote. I always nursed discreetly but did not always cover due to different circumstances.
Kaddidle Care 04:08 PM 03-28-2013

That's the "under the shirt" method I used. Baby is covering the breast for the most part, shirt is covering most everything else. I used a T-shirt so it was looser. Whey they are little you can cover them loosely but 6+ months up and they will grab the shirt and pull it out of the way - they want to see what's going on.
Oneluckymom 04:41 PM 03-28-2013

I also see it this way. I voted that I'm not bothered by anyone uncovered but I don't expect to see a mom with no shirt on at all either.
safechner 05:10 PM 03-28-2013
Can't vote. I nursed in private places.
EchoMom 05:19 PM 03-28-2013
When I was brand new to BF I had a huge oversupply issue. I was in tears once trying to nurse discreetly off to the side in some empty pews while other women were having a moms group. This was a group of all MOMS and yet I still didn't want to show off my privat parts to strangers. I had such issues with trying TOO hard to be discreet while SPRAYING my tiny infant like a firehose with milk. He would be soaked and drowning on it. It was NOT something I was able to manage and be discreet about.

Later of course, things got much easier. The covers never worked well for me and blankets always came off, but I would always nurse with the under the shirt method which covers almost everything. And I would only nurse around women/moms. I nursed in the car, in a bathroom (that was AWFUL), and even in my own home if my dad was in town visiting I would go to another room to nurse and then come back.

I would not feel comfortable nursing in front of anyone except my husband, mom, or close female friends.
kendallina 05:26 PM 03-28-2013
Yes, this. I never covered while breastfeeding my daughter. Breastfed in restaurants, in parks, in malls and would do it again if I had another child. I would gladly tell someone to look the other way if they were annoyed that I was feeding my child.
SquirrellyMama 05:35 PM 03-28-2013
What would you call this? This is how my big breasted friend nurses. (PS. This is Lucy Lawless! Kinda cool )

http://doublethink.us.com/paala/2012...upport-poster/
In this case I would have put a folded blanket on me that would have just covered me, not the baby. It would be folded just on top of the bre*st I usually did the under the shirt or what I just said above about a folded blanket. I was able to be discreet without having to cover the baby.

K
originalkat 07:37 PM 03-28-2013
I agree with both of these. Personally, I always nursed in private or covered, but as long as the person is discreet I am okay with it.
Scout 07:53 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
When I was brand new to BF I had a huge oversupply issue. I was in tears once trying to nurse discreetly off to the side in some empty pews while other women were having a moms group. This was a group of all MOMS and yet I still didn't want to show off my privat parts to strangers. I had such issues with trying TOO hard to be discreet while SPRAYING my tiny infant like a firehose with milk. He would be soaked and drowning on it. It was NOT something I was able to manage and be discreet about.

Later of course, things got much easier. The covers never worked well for me and blankets always came off, but I would always nurse with the under the shirt method which covers almost everything. And I would only nurse around women/moms. I nursed in the car, in a bathroom (that was AWFUL), and even in my own home if my dad was in town visiting I would go to another room to nurse and then come back.

I would not feel comfortable nursing in front of anyone except my husband, mom, or close female friends.
You just reminded me of a third time!! I went with my mom to a healing mass at my MIL's church. I had sat in a back pew trying to nurse him. That didn't work well either. I had a blanket covering us and like you, it kept falling and I felt embarrassed smiling at the priest when he walked up the aisle! I never could figure out how to latch the baby without exposing anything!
MotherNature 07:56 PM 03-28-2013
I don't cover. I don't care if others are uncovered.
AmyKidsCo 08:14 PM 03-28-2013
Personally, I consider the first photo covered and the Lucy Lawless not covered. I used to wear a cami under a button-down so I could cover all sides, but I didn't do the "throw a blanket over everything" type of covering.

I prefer the first photo style. Not because it bothers to me personally, (go ahead and flash; I know how to look away if I want) but because so many other people are bothered by it. I think that moms who are "in your face" about being uncovered cause resentment and lack of support for BFing in general.

IMO It's a matter of being considerate to others - kind of like how you might pick your nose or scratch your butt at home, but wouldn't in public.
TheGoodLife 09:33 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I agree with both of these. Personally, I always nursed in private or covered, but as long as the person is discreet I am okay with it.
Exactly!
Lucy 09:58 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Yes, this. I never covered while breastfeeding my daughter. Breastfed in restaurants, in parks, in malls and would do it again if I had another child. I would gladly tell someone to look the other way if they were annoyed that I was feeding my child.
I'm not trying to start a war of words here, but let me just say this. And please know that it is not directed at YOU personally. It's just that your choice of "feeding my child" that caught my attention.

We (the people who would prefer not to see your boobs) are NOT annoyed that you're feeding your child. We LOVE that you're feeding your child. Breast milk is the BEST thing you can give your precious baby. Please, by all means, breast feed your child! We love it! (And no, I'm not being sarcastic.)

However, while it is a natural and beautiful thing, I don't want to see a naked boob. Marital relations is also a natural and beautiful thing, but I don't want to see it. (And NO, I'm not equating breastfeeding to sex -- puh-lease!) I'm just saying that it is awkward and uncomfortable when someone's boob is out of their shirt. I instinctively want to respect your privacy and avert my eyes. But apparently you don't WANT privacy, so then I focus on the fact that you didn't respect MY right to not be twitchy and weirded out by the elephant in the room (Totally NOT calling your boobs elephants!! lol).

And that's exactly what it becomes - something that everyone knows is there, but no one wants to look at it or admit it's there. So we all try to pretend like it's not, and just hope that the baby eats quickly so the awkwardness can be overwith.

Look, I don't think anyone on either side of this issue is going to change their mind. I just wanted to put out there the way it makes ME feel. It's just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Lucy 10:06 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

IMO It's a matter of being considerate to others - kind of like how you might pick your nose or scratch your butt at home, but wouldn't in public.
Yes....

And it's like cussing as well. Please feel free to cuss as much as you want with your family / friends / and anyone else who is used to hearing that. But please don't do it in a public place where there are people you don't know, and therefore do not know whether that type of talk would make them uncomfortable or not.
nanglgrl 10:12 PM 03-28-2013
I voted covered and discreet. I breastfed 4 children. The oldest is now 19 and the youngest is almost 3. I had to use a smock or blanket with my eldest but with my last 3 children I was able to find a variety of comfortable bras/t-shirts/blouses and tank tops made for breastfeeding that covered my breast and were easy to wear/maneuver when breastfeeding.
I don't care where a woman chooses to feed her child as long as she isn't exposing herself and making other people uncomfortable. I know it was hard 19 years ago when we didn't have all of the awesome clothing made for breastfeeding and moms had to fight a blanket to stay covered but I guess I just don't see the reason in this day and age to let it all hang out.
I agree there is a huge mentality of "who cares what other people feel, it's my right so I'm going to do what I want". We see that mentality all of the time from our clients.
Crystal 07:52 AM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I'm not trying to start a war of words here, but let me just say this. And please know that it is not directed at YOU personally. It's just that your choice of "feeding my child" that caught my attention.

We (the people who would prefer not to see your boobs) are NOT annoyed that you're feeding your child. We LOVE that you're feeding your child. Breast milk is the BEST thing you can give your precious baby. Please, by all means, breast feed your child! We love it! (And no, I'm not being sarcastic.)

However, while it is a natural and beautiful thing, I don't want to see a naked boob. Marital relations is also a natural and beautiful thing, but I don't want to see it. (And NO, I'm not equating breastfeeding to sex -- puh-lease!) I'm just saying that it is awkward and uncomfortable when someone's boob is out of their shirt. I instinctively want to respect your privacy and avert my eyes. But apparently you don't WANT privacy, so then I focus on the fact that you didn't respect MY right to not be twitchy and weirded out by the elephant in the room (Totally NOT calling your boobs elephants!! lol).

And that's exactly what it becomes - something that everyone knows is there, but no one wants to look at it or admit it's there. So we all try to pretend like it's not, and just hope that the baby eats quickly so the awkwardness can be overwith.

Look, I don't think anyone on either side of this issue is going to change their mind. I just wanted to put out there the way it makes ME feel. It's just my opinion, for what it's worth.
This!!!! Exactly how I feel.
Texasjeepgirl 08:40 AM 03-29-2013

THIS...
I WAS a breastfeeding mom.. twice..
I also was a long term breastfeeding mom...
My second daughter was 2 years 9 months old before I managed to get her weaned...
BUT.. I was always respectful of others... while feeding my child..
AND.... AS an older child.. it was for SLEEP ONLY... she just really didn't know how to fall asleep unless she 'nursy sleep'...

MarinaVanessa 08:49 AM 03-29-2013

You summed up how I feel about it also.
mom2many 09:19 AM 03-29-2013

Exactly! I have no issues with breast feeding either and breastfed all 3 of my kids.

My 6 mth old grand daughter is currently being breastfed and is thriving, but my daughter is discreet and manages to feed on demand even in public w/o causing any eyebrows to raise...IMHO it's all about how you do it!
Sereetta 01:18 PM 03-29-2013
So I covered in public with my shirt or a blanket but I don't mind if people don't cover. Honestly when it comes down to it everyone will have an opinion.... to breast fed to not, to cover to not, to pump to not.... In the end its not a big deal as long as the child is fed.
I've lived and travelled abroad and have never remebered this conversation ever being discussed. Breast feeding was never viewed as sexual its a necessity because things such as formula are not a readily available. Sometimes I wonder if our "modern society" has us focused on the wrong things?
EntropyControlSpecialist 06:14 PM 03-29-2013
I saw this on Facebook and thought of the board ...

Sprouts 06:28 AM 03-30-2013
I breast fed all three if my children....with my first i made sure i was super covered and did not want my nipple exposed at all....but now by my third..I still cover, and dont want people to see my nipple or anything, but things slip, baby pulls at blanket...and I truly don't care...if my baby is hungry I could care less what anyone else thinks...my child needs to eat, don't look if you don't want to see anything by accident lol

i'm happy thAT i never have had to waste money on formula and that my child has the best milk out there
Hunni Bee 04:57 PM 03-30-2013
I plan on breastfeeding and I will cover. I didn't run around flashing my breasts in public before, and I won't start now because I'll have a baby.
Unregistered 06:26 PM 03-31-2013
THIS absolutely says it all!
Tags:breastfeeding, poll
Reply Up