Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Uniforms: Yes or No?
ECEVA 10:28 AM 02-17-2014
Hi All - I'm opening a new center and planned to require all children toddlers - preK to wear uniform shirts.

Pros: Brand Recognition/Mktg, Convenience for Parents in the AM

Cons: Expense: I feel like parents are going to have to spend so much on uniform shirts. They'll need at least 5 - 10 shirts and we were quoted about $10 per shirt. I thought about buying a heat press machine to cut back but I am afraid that quality will become an issue as the ink fades.

Any feedback or tips?
thetoddlerwhisper 10:32 AM 02-17-2014
I feel like at the toddler/prek age they are really starting to develop individuality and it's not something i like to hinder. i've been seeing super hero capes and tutus lately. Sorry if i worded that wrong
Unregistered 10:45 AM 02-17-2014
I think uniforms are great in school, but i think I would run from a daycare that required them at the toddler level. It just seems a little odd to me- not to mention how quickly kids that age ruin and outgrow clothes. I think it would get ridiculously expensive.
itlw8 10:48 AM 02-17-2014
If you are some ritzy ritz preschool that is a feeder for some fancy private school that wears uniforms then I can see it.

But a regular preschool / center that would require me to dress my child in a company t shirt every day. Heck no.... now One shirt that is included in the registration cost that they wear on fields trips. I would go with as a parent.
MissAnn 10:50 AM 02-17-2014
What about book bags with your logo?
preschoolteacher 10:52 AM 02-17-2014
No, I really don't see any benefit to the children or the families. If the kids wake up in the morning, come to daycare, and go home in the evenings, who is even going to see their shirt besides their families and the other families and children at daycare? I don't see how you could get much marketing value out of it. For me as a parent, it wouldn't make getting ready in the mornings easier because my toddler son already has preferences about what he wears (the truck shirt! the dinosaur shirt!), and it would start a needless battle for us. The cost is also prohibitive. I'd say nope!
llpa 10:55 AM 02-17-2014
I could see the teaching team doing it, but not the children. I feel like you can get your branding out there a different way. If YOU want to give children a tshirt w your logo as a gift, then you MAY get some advertising out of that. Or items like a cloth bag for parents etc. All given as gifts. I've only been in business about six months, but my best advertising is word of mouth from happy parents so far. On a personal note, with no offense intended, I feel like kids are herded into look alike groups too much already. This would be pushing my personal limit. Love that you are looking into all options for branding tho!! Keep after it and other ideas will work well!!
Crazy8 11:04 AM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by llpa:
I could see the teaching team doing it, but not the children. I feel like you can get your branding out there a different way. If YOU want to give children a tshirt w your logo as a gift, then you MAY get some advertising out of that. Or items like a cloth bag for parents etc. All given as gifts. I've only been in business about six months, but my best advertising is word of mouth from happy parents so far. On a personal note, with no offense intended, I feel like kids are herded into look alike groups too much already. This would be pushing my personal limit. Love that you are looking into all options for branding tho!! Keep after it and other ideas will work well!!
I agree. And as a parent I would not send my child to a daycare/preschool that required uniforms. I wouldn't see any benefit to it as a parent.
ECEVA 11:07 AM 02-17-2014
Thanks ladies! Very helpful.
melilley 11:17 AM 02-17-2014
I agree with pp's who say no to uniform shirts for the kids, except for shirts to wear on a field trip. Plus, think of how many shirts you could go through for a toddler. They are very messy!

Staff maybe, kids no.
safechner 11:30 AM 02-17-2014
I am sorry I would say no to uniforms. My oldest daughter attends a private school that required uniforms. Honestly, it is pain in the ***.
Heidi 12:07 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by llpa:
same here....
Reply Up