Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Stop The Running?
sahm2three 10:23 AM 12-15-2010
There is a no running rule in my house. My main rooms upstair are in a cirlcle pretty much and so they like to run around and around. Well half of the upstairs is hardwood, so mix that in with the fact that they are constantly running into eachother around the corners=DISASTER. So, no running rule. There are a couple kids that just can't seem to walk. They are CONSTANTLY in time out for running. I always say, "Walking feet", but they just don't seem to get it. It is driving me crazy today. I have had two kids knock heads, had to write up an accident report because one of them has a pretty good goose egg on their forehead. HELP!
laundrymom 10:34 AM 12-15-2010
tape?

lol, jk,...

I would block it off from being a race track. either with a toy box, gate, sofa, shelf unit,.. something to break it up....

Originally Posted by sahm2three:
There is a no running rule in my house. My main rooms upstair are in a cirlcle pretty much and so they like to run around and around. Well half of the upstairs is hardwood, so mix that in with the fact that they are constantly running into eachother around the corners=DISASTER. So, no running rule. There are a couple kids that just can't seem to walk. They are CONSTANTLY in time out for running. I always say, "Walking feet", but they just don't seem to get it. It is driving me crazy today. I have had two kids knock heads, had to write up an accident report because one of them has a pretty good goose egg on their forehead. HELP!

DCMomOf3 10:35 AM 12-15-2010
Can you break up the play area so they have less space to run? or have certain times that they can run (on bad weather days) otherwise send them outside when they are that hyped up.

I find that I have trouble with my sa's more than anything because they run at home and don't want to listen to me here, then they get my own kids riled up. grrr.
marniewon 10:35 AM 12-15-2010
I would contain the runner(s) to a small area every time they run. If it's mainly that they are running around the "circle", contain them to one room or even a part of the room, until they can walk around without running.
BentleysBands 10:38 AM 12-15-2010
duct tape? or hog tie them all together? jkjk

I would section it off if you can. if you can't it would depend on their ages.what ages r u talking about?
AmandasFCC 11:15 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I stop them, make them walk back to where they started running, then walk to where they are going. After a few times they seem to get it
Little People 11:18 AM 12-15-2010
I have a NO running rule here too!! I tell them one time and then when they run again, they have to walk back to the spot they started running from and WALK back to where they got caught , they may have to do this 5 to 10 times in a row!! It has stopped all running.
They are huffing and puffing!
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 12-15-2010
Like everyone else, I had the same problem but one of the biggest things I did learn from taking my CDA was changing the environment to change behaviors REALLY does work. Set up your room or daycare area so running is impossible (well, so that it is difficult to do) No straight line runs, no large open space to run in....etc. I know in a family home this can be difficult but I use table and chair sets (kid size) and shelve units (moveable and kid size) and put them away or back when daycare is over. I changes the room layout and haven't had a runner in forever!!
melskids 12:05 PM 12-15-2010
stick your foot out? that outta stop 'em.

I AM ONLY KIDDING!!!

its just the mood i'm in today.....
TGT09 12:07 PM 12-15-2010
When you find out, let me know! :-) I deal with it all day every day.
DCMomOf3 12:08 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:

I AM ONLY KIDDING!!!

I was thinking trip wire....
marniewon 04:06 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
duct tape? or hog tie them all together?
I would section it off if you can. if you can't it would depend on their ages.what ages r u talking about?
Originally Posted by melskids:

I AM ONLY KIDDING!!!
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I was thinking trip wire....
HA HA HA!! I'm thinking it's more than just the kids who are full of you-know-what today!! Love all the suggestions
Childminder 04:18 PM 12-15-2010
If they don't have legs they can't run.

WALK! is used here a lot and if they are caught running they drop to the floor right then and SIT!
Abigail 04:37 PM 12-15-2010
It's usually too much open floor space. If they are running in circles are something, move it to the wall so they can't. Space things appropriately. I like seeing pictures, so if you want to share a picture of where they always run, please do. Try making them walk it again if they are caught running. If they do this in groups, split up the kids for the rest of the day so they can't play together as a "time out" instead of sitting it out for a time out. Besides, they run and run and you give them a sitting time out to refresh just so they can do it again!
nannyde 05:13 PM 12-15-2010
I don't allow circling or running.

When any animal with a beating heart is circling they are esculating. I want the kids to stay calm, balanced, stable, relaxed. I don't want the excitement that comes with circling.

Kids who don't have a natural circle area will be less likely to run/chase each other BUT even when the natural circle areas are blocked they will create one with items. I call it "posting". They set up a post and circle it either with their bodies or with their toys on the floor. They usually just do it with two or more kids... not when they are by themselves. When we see them set up a "post" or the circling they do once they agree on a post we tell them to pick up the item and move it. We also don't allow them to use each other, their parents, or us as a post to circle around.

Posting and circling is a "root" behavior that children do BEFORE they start to get physical with the toys or each other. Stop the behavior at the root and you will be able to lessen the chances of the child acting out physically.

You will see children using their parents as posts when they arrive or depart. This is something that is common even if the arrival and departure area is very small. I just had a kid the other day who had to stay late. When her Mom was explaining to me why she was delayed her daughter decided to try to circle using her Mom as her post. She got half way around the circle and smacked her ear against my front door knob REALLY hard. She let out a cry I've never heard from her. Four years of her being in my care and she's never had even a band aid but one minute with her Mom in the house and in the midst of breaking my rules she whacks her head into my door knob.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't allow circling or running.

When any animal with a beating heart is circling they are esculating. I want the kids to stay calm, balanced, stable, relaxed. I don't want the excitement that comes with circling.

Kids who don't have a natural circle area will be less likely to run/chase each other BUT even when the natural circle areas are blocked they will create one with items. I call it "posting". They set up a post and circle it either with their bodies or with their toys on the floor. They usually just do it with two or more kids... not when they are by themselves. When we see them set up a "post" or the circling they do once they agree on a post we tell them to pick up the item and move it. We also don't allow them to use each other, their parents, or us as a post to circle around.

Posting and circling is a "root" behavior that children do BEFORE they start to get physical with the toys or each other. Stop the behavior at the root and you will be able to lessen the chances of the child acting out physically.

You will see children using their parents as posts when they arrive or depart. This is something that is common even if the arrival and departure area is very small. I just had a kid the other day who had to stay late. When her Mom was explaining to me why she was delayed her daughter decided to try to circle using her Mom as her post. She got half way around the circle and smacked her ear against my front door knob REALLY hard. She let out a cry I've never heard from her. Four years of her being in my care and she's never had even a band aid but one minute with her Mom in the house and in the midst of breaking my rules she whacks her head into my door knob.
Nannyde you crack me up! You have an answer for everything! Which I LOVE!! The answer is never short and but ALWAYS makes complete sense! I swear that you just need to have a thread all your own and we can post questions and get answers without having to weed through all the other posts.... Right after I read your response I had a DCM come in with her 3 yr old and wouldn't ya know he began circling her like a post...I couldnt stop laughing because I had never noticed this before.... Now my question is, Do you stop them from doing it? Allow them to do it? Only at pick up/drop off? Not at all? Since it is a natural behavior do you give them a space to do it in? Do they stop or outgrow it? I read where you said they have to pick up and move their item, but don't they just try to do it anyways again somewhere else? If it is natuaral, why shouldn't they be allowed to do it? (Circle, not run)
Unregistered 02:27 PM 12-16-2010
My reason for the "no running in the house" rule is pretty clear as far as the "why's" and it's generally a rule that doesn't take too long for my dcks to absorb. See, I have a slippery laminate floor and every single kid that has run in my house has slipped and fell or slipped on the floor and ran into another kid. Natural consequences are amazing for helping kids to follow rules like that one! Now, the circling/spinning rule, that one is a rule that is not popular with my dcks because they don't see it for what it is: an action that always devolves and turns into chaos. If the kids are outside, then sure, go for it. Spin as much as you'd like, if you want to run in circles with your buddies, go for it! It's your world kidlets, I just live in it! However, if I see anything like that going on inside the house, then the guillty parties are going to be having a seat for a few minutes so that they can check themselves. Once they are calm again, then they can get up and play again. It may sound like a mean rule, but it really is in their best interest for me to enforce it.
nannyde 05:18 PM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
See, I have a slippery laminate floor and every single kid that has run in my house has slipped and fell or slipped on the floor and ran into another kid.
Good post

One thing tho is that the cost of even minor medical care now is incredibly expensive. When you allow natural consequences such as slipping or falling on the floor you can end up with a heck of a "emergency care" bill if the kid has any kind of injury. It's always up to the parents to decide if they need to be seen and often... if it's on your dime.. they are going to want the kid to be seen.

I've known a lot of providers who have ended up with hundreds of dollars of medical bills from simple injuries in their home.
Tags:running
Reply Up