Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Infants Would You Take?
Christina72684 10:45 AM 11-06-2013
If there were 2-3 people working all day (one opens, one closes, one overlaps during centers/lunch/naptime), how many infants would you take?

Currently we have a 3 month old FT, a 4 month old MWF, and a 10 month old FT. One Monday we have a 9 month old FT starting. We had a mom call with 2 twin 2 month olds that would start beginning of December. Here's our problem: We have one current DCM pregnant who would bring her baby here in January at 6 weeks, and 2 other DCMs pregnant who would bring theirs in July.

Would you take the twins?

Ohh and as far as non-infants we have four 1-2 year olds on Monday, two 2 year olds Tues-Thurs, and three 1-2 year olds on Friday. So we aren't dealing with just babies.
daycare 10:54 AM 11-06-2013
I would take as many as I could care with being able to meet all of their needs and stay within in the state regulations of max capacity.

how many infants are you allowed to have in your care at one time?
butterfly 11:02 AM 11-06-2013
How many does your licensing allow you to take? I'd take them all if someone else could watch them. If I had help and could stay within ratio I wouldn't hesitate taking them.
cheerfuldom 11:29 AM 11-06-2013
I am confused about who is there....is it normally two at a time between the three workers? What are your ratios of kids allowed and what ages? you already have 3 or 4 kids under one year old there each day with another you have promised to take in January. If you take the twins in December than after the new years, you would have up to 6 kids under one year old with that 10 month old being just a hair past their first birthday.....is that allowed per your licensing regs? how many other kids do you take care of that are over one year old?
cara041083 11:37 AM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would take as many as I could care with being able to meet all of their needs and stay within in the state regulations of max capacity.

how many infants are you allowed to have in your care at one time?
Same here. I can take up to 3. If I had my way, I would only do infants. I love toddlers, but I prefer babies
itlw8 12:31 PM 11-06-2013
so on some days you will have 12 children with 9 of them infants but only 2 people there at any given time.... can the older ones be with the infants or do you need another adult for just them.

It sounds like far to many little ones for 2 people. You can be licensed for that???? here it would be a max of 4 under 2 per adult and over 2 would not be allowed in the same area center rules.
MCC 12:38 PM 11-06-2013
That sounds like a lot of littles. I currently have 4 under 1 and it is a lot of work!!

Are you able to separate the littles from the bigs? I think that might be the key, having all the babies in one room, and all the toddlers in another?
TwinKristi 02:12 PM 11-06-2013
That seems like way too many babies but I don't know what your ratios are for your state. In CA I can have either 2 infants, 4 toddler/PSers, 2 SA or 3 under 2yrs and 3 over 2yrs or I can have 4 infants only. I have had 4 infants and it's hard work. I can't imagine 9, even with 2 people. The most a large family daycare can have in CA is 8, with 2 adults so a 4:1 ratio.

Also, infants in my state means under 2, so it seems ALL your DCKs are infants.
jenn 02:14 PM 11-06-2013
I can only have 3 under 18 months. If would prefer to have no one under 12 months, but usually can only find newborns.
TwinKristi 05:11 PM 11-06-2013
It seems that Indiana has similar regulations about infants, 4 per adult and in a center you much have at least 2 bodies there at all times. So unless you have all 3 of you there all the time it doesn't seem like you can accommodate everyone and be within ratio.
cheerfuldom 06:44 PM 11-06-2013
Here the home daycares are generally licensed for two kids under two plus another 8 to 10 children above two years old. I think some of the centers of a ratio of 4 babies to one adult but I can't remember the age cap on that, maybe 18 months?
melilley 06:54 PM 11-06-2013
I love babies and would only take babies here, but unfortunately for a fammily home daycare (up to 6 unrelated children) we can only have 4 under 30 months and only 2 of the four can be 18 mo and under, but here if you have a group license (up to 12 unrelated children) you can double what I said as long as there is enough people to cover ratios. For centers, our ratio is 4:1 until they are 30 mo then it is 10:1 and the ratio is for the youngest child in the room. I would look into what your ratio's are for your state and go from there. It seems like you would be over.?
Tags:infant care
Reply Up