Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cell Phones As Toys
sharlan 03:23 PM 07-07-2011
I found this in an Oct 2008 CCLD bulletin. I had 3 in plain sight in a toy bin during my last inspection.

USE OF OLD CELL PHONES AS TOYS
It has been brought to our attention that some child care facilities are allowing children in care to play with old cell phones. The Legislature passed a law in 2004 (AB 2901), California’s Cell Phone Recycling Act, which puts in place a system for the acceptance and collection of used cell phones for reuse, recycling or proper and legal disposal to ensure the safe and environmentally sound disposal of hazardous materials. Used cellular phones contain hazardous substances and are referred to as electronic hazardous waste (E-Waste). Circuit boards in cellular phones contain arsenic, antimony, beryllium, cadmium, copper, lead, mercury, nickel and zinc. The rechargeable batteries used with cellular phones contain cobalt, zinc and copper. Title 22 Regulations, Sections 102417(d), 101239(q) and 101439(m) require all toys, play equipment, surfaces, fixtures, furniture and supplies be safe and free of toxic substances. Allowing children in care to play with cell phones would be a violation of these regulations.

For additional information and resources regarding hazardous waste and recycling
Crystal 03:43 PM 07-07-2011
Funny how they didn't catch that huh, but they'll catch other stuff (or make other stuff up). But, yeah, I had to get rid of a bunch of them when that reg came out.
countrymom 04:50 PM 07-07-2011
I take the batteries out, and acually thats old news about the batteries. Funny how they dont want kids playing with them when they don't work but children and adults have working ones that are used daily.
sharlan 05:20 PM 07-07-2011
As I come across them, I'll get rid of them.
maudie65 05:23 PM 07-07-2011
wow had no idea. just looked over my shoulder to find my daughter playing with one of our old cell phones. think i need to start clearing those out. thanks for the info.
Abigail 06:49 PM 07-07-2011
We have play phones at our daycare...those that [use to make sounds] from the store which were about $4 each at the Walmart checkout. We also have two used cell phone which I don't like so I conveniently put them away a month ago. The kids asked a few times where they were and since they didn't clean up as often as they should it became a "chore" to clean the room and see if you find what you are looking for. I never did tell them where it is, but in my personal home daycare real items will not be used as toys because toys are made for just that, to be toys.
Crazy8 07:12 PM 07-07-2011
I've never had them as toys in my playroom but my own son does use one as his "power ranger" phone (he has his own toys separate from my daycare room). It has no battery or SIM card in it though.
Hunni Bee 10:15 PM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
We have play phones at our daycare...those that [use to make sounds] from the store which were about $4 each at the Walmart checkout. We also have two used cell phone which I don't like so I conveniently put them away a month ago. The kids asked a few times where they were and since they didn't clean up as often as they should it became a "chore" to clean the room and see if you find what you are looking for. I never did tell them where it is, but in my personal home daycare real items will not be used as toys because toys are made for just that, to be toys.
We have to use Creative Curriculum and they are really big on using real items as toys...as much as 50% of your toys should be real items. I bring in real clothes, kitchen tools, empty food boxes, ads and menus...stuff like that.

We had an old cell phone...but it got misplaced months ago. They now use an old house phone that my mom gave them.
Tags:cell phones, toy cell phone, toys
Reply Up