Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 PM
familyschoolcare's Avatar
familyschoolcare familyschoolcare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,287
Default Strange E-Mail Response From Craig List Add

So on my Craig list add my e-mail is now anonymous. Which stopped the emails from people that obviously where not really looking for child care but trying to run a scam. Now I have gotten three different E-mails from three different people/names/e-mail address several days apart form each other and each responding to different add. (I title the add differently each time I post an add that way when someone replies to the title I used several adds ago I know before opening it that something is up.) All the E-mail says is Hello. The first time I responded with Hello, was there supposed to be more to this E-mail, nothing. Any body else have a similar experience I am starting to think that this is either a very technology stupid person (but then why donít they just call me my number is in the add) or a scam just can not figure out how it is a scam. Any way I was concerning not posting my E-mail in the add at all most people call me anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM
JaydensMommy's Avatar
JaydensMommy JaydensMommy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare View Post
So on my Craig list add my e-mail is now anonymous. Which stopped the emails from people that obviously where not really looking for child care but trying to run a scam. Now I have gotten three different E-mails from three different people/names/e-mail address several days apart form each other and each responding to different add. (I title the add differently each time I post an add that way when someone replies to the title I used several adds ago I know before opening it that something is up.) All the E-mail says is Hello. The first time I responded with Hello, was there supposed to be more to this E-mail, nothing. Any body else have a similar experience I am starting to think that this is either a very technology stupid person (but then why donít they just call me my number is in the add) or a scam just can not figure out how it is a scam. Any way I was concerning not posting my E-mail in the add at all most people call me anyway.
I also advertise on craigslist and have received this email many times. I just delete it and ignore it...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Pammie's Avatar
Pammie Pammie is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: My happy little corner of the world
Posts: 449
Default

Since you used an encrypted email with your ad - they're trying to get your valid email address - which they will have if you respond. Your response will let them know that they now have a valid, active email account, and can fill your inbox with spam. Happens alot with craigslist ads, unfortunately.

Simply ignore and don't respond.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
familyschoolcare's Avatar
familyschoolcare familyschoolcare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammie View Post
Since you used an encrypted email with your ad - they're trying to get your valid email address - which they will have if you respond. Your response will let them know that they now have a valid, active email account, and can fill your inbox with spam. Happens alot with craigslist ads, unfortunately.

Simply ignore and don't respond.
Thank you fro the info. I could not figure out how it was a scam I did not know that If I responded via E-mail they would have my E-mail now I thought they would receive an encrypted one to respond to. With this info. I will no longer place my E-mail address on any new adds at all as the few valid E-mails I have received did not result an interview even.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

I just received this for the first time today...I've never seen it before. eh, just ignore them. A good spam blocker will see you through as well.

eta: I've been advertising on CL for almost two years. I always have my encrypted email addy on the ad, and my real one in the ad like this: My email (at) provider (dot) com This cuts down on the spam a TON.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Crazy8's Avatar
Crazy8 Crazy8 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammie View Post
Since you used an encrypted email with your ad - they're trying to get your valid email address - which they will have if you respond. Your response will let them know that they now have a valid, active email account, and can fill your inbox with spam. Happens alot with craigslist ads, unfortunately.

Simply ignore and don't respond.
this is what I'm thinking as well. I placed a garage sale ad on CL and got all kinds of responses - I figured they were just trying to get my email address so I didn't respond (and it was a block sale so they didn't have my individual street address). I have yet to put a daycare add on CL because of all the scammy stuff out there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I got the same email and like an idiot I did respond. Within 5 minutes I got 6 emails from friends in my contact list telling me I was sending them ****. I don't know how all the technical stuff works but it changed my email password as well as my password to my CL account and it stopped.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,300
Default

Here's one I got today

Hello,

I am contacting you to know if you would be available to care for my daughter for a short period of time, Mondays through Fridays (9AM - 3PM). My daughter is a free eater, lovers of games and toys and fun to be with by the name of Vanessa and I would be happy to leave her in your care. What is your present LOCATION? I need to know so as to know its proximity to my new job as I want the best care for her, and also to make arrangements for the task as I am providing all to ensure a conducive atmosphere for Vanessa. A prompt response would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mr Jonathan Gaunt
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Here's one I got today

Hello,

I am contacting you to know if you would be available to care for my daughter for a short period of time, Mondays through Fridays (9AM - 3PM). My daughter is a free eater, lovers of games and toys and fun to be with by the name of Vanessa and I would be happy to leave her in your care. What is your present LOCATION? I need to know so as to know its proximity to my new job as I want the best care for her, and also to make arrangements for the task as I am providing all to ensure a conducive atmosphere for Vanessa. A prompt response would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mr Jonathan Gaunt
Mr Johnathan Gaunt must have relocated again from my area to your area just recently because I got the same e-mail, word for word, a few weeks ago only I think he also had his name changed because when I got the email his name was Steven something or other . I didn't respond to it either but I did roll my eyes .
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 AM
familyschoolcare's Avatar
familyschoolcare familyschoolcare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,287
Default

When He contacted me back in June he was moving to my state CAL.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Zoe's Avatar
Zoe Zoe is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,442
Default

Well I feel stupid now. I got the same "hello" email last week and responded. Duh! So far I haven't gotten spam or had my contacts tell me I'm sending them crazy stuff. Crossing my fingers and considering this a lesson learned.

Thanks for letting us know!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM
TBird's Avatar
TBird TBird is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 551
Default

YUP! I'm in good company...I got the hello last week, LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-06-2011, 12:10 PM
SandeeAR's Avatar
SandeeAR SandeeAR is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,188
Default

If you will add AVG to your computer, it will catch a LOT of this stuff. I use yahoo and I never get those sort of things. Oh, and AVG is free. Just google AVG free download.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
craigs list

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Got One... Craig list Ad...Really???? frugalmama4 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 05-01-2012 06:49 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming