Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Used Toys?
Hunni Bee 05:21 PM 11-12-2011
Does anyone know where I might find used toys for us sale besides the usual (CL, thrift stores, yard sales, etc). We are badly in need of new manipulatives and in EXTREME need of yard toys. Like just about everyone else, our center is in serious budget mode, and purchasing these items new isn't an option...I'd even buy some of them out of my own pocket.

So can anyone point me in the direction of a web site, or even a center/home going out of business. I am in Central Virginia, by the way.
Sunchimes 05:38 PM 11-12-2011
This won't help you now, but in the Spring, try the Just Between Friends consignment sale. http://www.jbfsale.com/default.cfm

They generally have them twice a year. I've gotten a lot of stuff there-toys, high chairs, strollers, etc. Our sale was really small this year and I didn't get any outside toys, but I got some great deals on inside toys. They are all a bit different because they have different franchisees, but ours had a section for teaching aids.
AnneCordelia 05:46 PM 11-12-2011
Do you have any friends who do daycare too? One of my greatest sources of wonderful things was friends who have established daycares and are switching up items. All my yard toys came free from a friend who bought new yard toys for her daycare. I got loads of puzzles, toddlers toys, blocks, ect from a friend who closed her daycare this year. There are daycare closing sales listed on kijiji or craigslist and that has been helpful too.

Does your community have a "Multiples" club that has annual sales? Our city has a MoM Club (Moms of Multiples) who have a sale twice a year. They rent an arena and it costs $2 to get in. I got loads of stuff there! Granted, I didn't need maternity clothing or baby clothing, but it was a great source of toys, puzzles, books, strollers for multiples, playpens, high chairs, boosters, furniture, ect., at great prices. Worth looking into!
Unregistered 06:02 PM 11-12-2011
If there's a Freecycle group in your area, you might try posting a "wanted" list of items to see if anyone has outgrown, unused toys they could offer you. I've had some good luck with this.
skittles 06:32 PM 11-12-2011
In our state most of the homes are being forclosed leaving lots of empty houses. Sometimes we are lucky and talk to the owners or the bank and they donate the used yard toys to the schools and daycare in our community.
SilverSabre25 06:55 PM 11-12-2011
Are there any Once Upon a Child stores, or similar children's second hand shop?
Hunni Bee 07:32 PM 11-12-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Are there any Once Upon a Child stores, or similar children's second hand shop?
Yes, we have those, and someone told me to go there for the yard toys. But the manipulatives, those would be something exclusive to daycares or schools, you know?
SilverSabre25 07:48 PM 11-12-2011
What kinds of manipulatives? If you get crafty/creative, I bet you can make your own of a lot of them. Start reading homeschool blogs; they have great ideas for home made stuff!
Meeko 08:15 PM 11-12-2011
Our CCRR has a lending library of toys and games and books. Do you have a CCRR near you? We can check out toys and puzzles and books etc for a while. It's great to bring in new stuff every now and then and it's FREE!!!
Crystal 08:53 PM 11-12-2011
Let your parents know that you will gladly buy toys that their children outgrow. They will most likely be happy to have somehwere to unload their children's stuff and it is quite possible that you will end up with some stuff donated.
misspollywog 09:40 PM 11-12-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Let your parents know that you will gladly buy toys that their children outgrow. They will most likely be happy to have somehwere to unload their children's stuff and it is quite possible that you will end up with some stuff donated.
Yep! I've gotten a ton of great stuff donated by a fabulous dcm. In exchange I give her extra hours of care. It is a win-win!
Crystal 07:53 AM 11-13-2011
Also, consider making your own stuff. You can go to the hardware store and buy inexpensive PVC pipe and fittings, cut it into various lengths for building/connecting. Buy a piece of lattice, hang up, provide yarn and allow them to weave on it. Buy a piece of particle board, have cut into 8"X8" squares, tap rows of small nails into it, give them rubberbands....you have Geoboards. If you can find a recently cut down small tree, you can cut it into round "slices" and chunks for building....put in the block area, add some animals, maybe some pine tree clippings, and you have a great building/dramatic play/manipulative activity.

At Home Depot and Lowe's they cut wood for customers.....you can ask them for the scrap wood and they will gladly give it to you.

Yard toys....balance beam out of two by four. Find some old tires and lay them out....they can use them for a multitude of things. Use a sheet as a parachute...turn on some music, throw some balls on it and let em' go. Use old pillowcases, let the kids put them on their feet/legs and hop around....add an obstacle course for variety.

Get creative.....there are a TON of free and inexpensive things to use for toys....and the kids LOVE it!
cheerfuldom 08:20 PM 11-13-2011
Have you posted "wanted to buy" ads on Craigslist?

If you are looking for specific school stuff then you might be out of luck. Have you considered any fundraisers specifically ear-marked for toys? Parents may be more into it if it is for their child's class.

One easy one that my church does (they have a small private school) is to put up a paper tree with apples. Parents and staff are not required to do this but each apple can be "picked" and the apple says either a particular item or an donation amount and then the apple and the donation are given to whoever is in charge. Very non-confrontational. You can also replace the apple with a apple that says "thank you to whoever for whatever"or just a thank you.

You could do a christmas tree with gifts. Try and keep everything under $20.
Kaddidle Care 04:17 AM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If there's a Freecycle group in your area, you might try posting a "wanted" list of items to see if anyone has outgrown, unused toys they could offer you. I've had some good luck with this.
Yes, this! It's amazing what you can find (and get rid of) on Freecycle!
mismatchedsocks 04:48 AM 11-14-2011
I agree with all these ideas. I really like the idea of donated toys from the dcfamilies in exchange for some childcare. Some might even just donate to donate. Good luck!
Tags:toys, toys - used
Reply Up