Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Own DD Refuses To Drink From A Cup
blueclouds29 06:33 PM 11-28-2011
My 2 1/2 year old DD refuses to drink from a regular cup. Right now ALL her sippy's are straws. Its hard to get her off when the other kids are still using a sippy cup. She is the oldest of the kids i watch. I feel like a horrible mom when we got to parties that our DD is still on a sippy. Please make me feel better and give me some advice. I can't 'get rid' of her cups cause she uses the throw away ones that the other kids use too. I have everyone on throw away sippy cups (all straw ones)... HELP!!!
nannyde 06:59 PM 11-28-2011
I never switch them off of spouted cups. They use them from one to five when they go off to kindy. I don't do open faced cups. I don't want to deal with the spills.
blueclouds29 07:01 PM 11-28-2011
See... i think that's what got her so determined NOT to drink from a cup.. She spills all the time and she doesn't like the wetness on her.
SilverSabre25 07:19 PM 11-28-2011
fill one of her straw cups with boring old water. Make it room temp if you can, lol.

Put about an inch of "the good stuff" (chocolate milk, strawberry milk, juice, whatever her favorite drink treat is) in the open-top cup. Offer her a choice.

Also, here's a thought...if she spills that much, perhaps she's just not ready for an open cup? How about giving her some dry rice/beans with cups and spoons and a little pitcher to play with, to practice pouring, etc. That might help her develop the skill.
blueclouds29 07:27 PM 11-28-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
fill one of her straw cups with boring old water. Make it room temp if you can, lol.

Put about an inch of "the good stuff" (chocolate milk, strawberry milk, juice, whatever her favorite drink treat is) in the open-top cup. Offer her a choice.

Also, here's a thought...if she spills that much, perhaps she's just not ready for an open cup? How about giving her some dry rice/beans with cups and spoons and a little pitcher to play with, to practice pouring, etc. That might help her develop the skill.
Good idea! Thanks!
sharlan 11:12 PM 11-28-2011
I don't understand the big issue over sippy cups. It's not as if she is going to start school wearing a diaper.
Francine 03:42 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't understand the big issue over sippy cups. It's not as if she is going to start school wearing a diaper.
I'm with Sharlan, my own girls used a straw cup for a long time if they were going to be anywhere that had carpet, I just didn't want the mess. If they were at the table they had open, watching tv on the couch they had a lid.
Kaddidle Care 04:19 AM 11-29-2011
Oh thank you! I just started letting my 10 year old drink things from an open cup in the living room. Up to 9, it was still the tupperware cups with the sippy tops. (Hey - I even use them in the car for myself!)

When he has friends over and they're all in the living room I use the cups with tops and straws. Not a total spill proof cup but better than an open one.

Big fan of no or lower spills.

I used the straw ones when my older son had a friend over one time and the friend scoffed at the straw cup saying they were for babies. So I gave him a regular cup. Guess who spilled the whole cup on my living room rug? Yep! And he drank from a straw cup from then on.

As far as a 2 year old? I wouldn't sweat it. The only thing I've noticed with sippy cups is that they don't seem to get much from them.
blueclouds29 04:59 AM 11-29-2011
Thanks everyone! That makes me feel a lot better! I won't push it but i'll offer it! Thanks for the input
Unregistered 08:32 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
My 2 1/2 year old DD refuses to drink from a regular cup. Right now ALL her sippy's are straws. Its hard to get her off when the other kids are still using a sippy cup. She is the oldest of the kids i watch. I feel like a horrible mom when we got to parties that our DD is still on a sippy. Please make me feel better and give me some advice. I can't 'get rid' of her cups cause she uses the throw away ones that the other kids use too. I have everyone on throw away sippy cups (all straw ones)... HELP!!!
With my 3 kids I took bottle away at 1 they used a sippy from age 1 to 3, then a straw cup from age 3 to 4, then a regular cup at age 4 and up I also dont like to clean up spills she is still kinda young I would just let her use the sippy still.
Tags:2 year old, won't drink from cup
Reply Up