Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do?
Unregistered 08:07 AM 12-12-2010
I am\was friends with someone who runs a licensed daycare from her home and I heard and have seen some things I am NOT comfortable with. Having been told by a family member who works for CPS, I myself cannot make a complaint, because it would be unfounded as I was "getting even."

At times, the language used there is not acceptable and directed towards certain children. The language often used is profane and screamed at the child\children, "F'in shut up" or "just go sit the F down" are some things that are common. Then comes the child who won't get up off of the floor, being grabbed by one arm and swung up onto furniture is not how I would handle that child. Picking a child up and screaming into his\her face is also not acceptable for me. The overall care of the children is within "state limits"...yet until a child is hurt or a parent gets to hear how the children are talked to, who's going to say anything.

I spoke with her now ex B\F and he states he has also witnessed this behaviour and is more than likely due to the fact that she drinks, often to excess and has struck him on many occassions. I don't think if he filed a complaint there would be much validity, just as if I did at this point. Her attitude has definitely changed and is no longer a pleasant person to be around. I fear for those in her care and not sure how to handle this matter.
kendallina 10:35 AM 12-12-2010
Your relationship with this person (or, the fact that some would think you are complaining just to 'get even' for something) should make no bearing on whether you decide to report this person.

You would not report her to CPS anyways. Because she has a licensed facility you would report her to your local child care licensing department. They will run an investigation, which should include visiting her and speaking with her parents and even maybe some children if she has some older children. Her former best friend should also make a separate complaint. When you call, you should have everything written down that you have witnessed, no hearsay or guessing, just everything you have seen first hand. And, if possible with dates, times, children's names if you have them.

It is your duty to these children to report this. They are being mistreated and they deserve your help. Good luck!
KEG123 10:46 AM 12-12-2010
No doubt in my mind that you NEED to call. Please do it tomorrow, because like you said, if you don't speak up for these kids, no one will.
Blackcat31 12:20 PM 12-12-2010
I agree with other posters. Call the licensing agency and report it IMMEDIATELY! If you have heard it first hand and witnessed anything then it is more than hearsay and YOU are the person who can validate the story. This is the kind of thing that makes people freaked out about family childcare providers. PLEASE CALL IMMEDIATELY!! as a human being you owe it to those kids!
jen 01:18 PM 12-12-2010
Hmmmm...well, if your complaint is valid and accurate, obviously you should call. I am surprised that her language is going unnoticed. If I were to use language like that, my daycare kiddos would be talking like sailors, they do have that tendency to repeat those kinds of things.

How long have you been aware of the issues at daycare? How is it that you were present when she was doing daycare? How are you connected with her ex-boyfriend?

A family member of yours works for CPS told you that you couldn't report as it would be unfounded?

I don't want to be rude, but are you currently dating her ex-boyfriend?
Unregistered 06:00 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am\was friends with someone who runs a licensed daycare from her home and I heard and have seen some things I am NOT comfortable with. Having been told by a family member who works for CPS, I myself cannot make a complaint, because it would be unfounded as I was "getting even."

At times, the language used there is not acceptable and directed towards certain children. The language often used is profane and screamed at the child\children, "F'in shut up" or "just go sit the F down" are some things that are common. Then comes the child who won't get up off of the floor, being grabbed by one arm and swung up onto furniture is not how I would handle that child. Picking a child up and screaming into his\her face is also not acceptable for me. The overall care of the children is within "state limits"...yet until a child is hurt or a parent gets to hear how the children are talked to, who's going to say anything.

I spoke with her now ex B\F and he states he has also witnessed this behaviour and is more than likely due to the fact that she drinks, often to excess and has struck him on many occassions. I don't think if he filed a complaint there would be much validity, just as if I did at this point. Her attitude has definitely changed and is no longer a pleasant person to be around. I fear for those in her care and not sure how to handle this matter.
You can call her licenses person but trust me dont expect much to be done. I had a friend who was licsensed when I was licensed and I saw her strike a little girl in her back because she wasnt listening I also saw her spank another child well all the licenses lady did was investagate her and of course they found nothing because she sure as heck wasnt gonna hit the kids in front of them she also told the parents I lied she firgued out it was me and they didnt like me either then even thou I was trying to protect there kids and guess what she is still a licensed provider and still running her daycare.
Tags:complaint, file a complaint
Reply Up