Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those of You with SA's - Room Set up/Pics?
AfterSchoolMom 08:58 PM 07-24-2011
I know that there are a couple of you here that, like me, do primarily SA care. I'm interested in seeing pics of your set up if you don't mind sharing!
AfterSchoolMom 08:29 PM 07-26-2011
So 80 people have looked at this, and no one but me does what I do? I feel so special.
daycare 08:32 PM 07-26-2011
You are special, but I dont have SA care..........im sorry, I would not be of any help to you... If I did S/A I would have a large sound proof box in the middle of the room.....and it would be for me, notthe kids....lol

You are a brave woman... I used to coach youth sports, so I know what you are dealing with, however, mine went home after two hours....lol OH and if they mis behaved they had to run the track....lol
AfterSchoolMom 08:36 PM 07-26-2011
daycare, I LOVE the soundproof box idea. I wonder how much something like that would cost?
daycare 08:36 PM 07-26-2011
PRICELESS!!!!! hahah
daycare 08:37 PM 07-26-2011
Can I ask what is it that you are trying to do??
Are you trying to set up a special area?
AfterSchoolMom 09:26 PM 07-26-2011
Nothing in particular. I just don't have any infants or toddlers in my care - it's SA's and SA's only. I've seen countless pictures of daycare spaces for younger children but very very few spaces for older children.
daycare 09:28 PM 07-26-2011
I think you have a speciality here. You should be charging a million a minute.
Lol. Hopefully someone will come and help you out.......
AfterSchoolMom 09:33 PM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by :
I think you have a speciality here. You should be charging a million a minute.
I wish the parents in my area agreed with you!!
melskids 04:47 AM 07-27-2011
i have a mixed age group...so i'm not really helpful with pics....but

i know my SA still play in all the areas....dramatic play, blocks, art, table stuff like puzzles, etc. so i would set up my room to look just like the pics you are finding online, just gear the items included in each center towards SA.

i might add an area for homework, maybe a big kitchen table for ongoing projects (my SA constantly have projects out and come back to work on them later), a computer center, wood working area, cooking area, a table for board games....

i'd have a cozy area to for them too...a place for them to chill...with chapter books, etc.

maybe a music area with headphones
Crazy8 05:02 AM 07-27-2011
I've been peeking in this thread because I have thought about doing SA kids only once my youngest son is in school full days (Sept 2012). But I'm afraid in my area with things like the PAL aftercare that I just wouldn't make any money and well, I'm just not so sure I want a house full of the bigger kids.

I love Melskids ideas - that's kind of what I envisioned turning my space into someday (well, until I can actually turn it back into a living room).
AfterSchoolMom 06:21 AM 07-27-2011
Right now my space is set up as a small family room, and we do actually watch TV in there. There's a sofa and comfy chair, an old fashioned school desk, and a round table with two chairs next to a built in floor to ceiling bookshelf which holds bins with various kinds of blocks, art supplies, and books. I don't really have "centers" and the room is kind of small - about 13x15. The kids spread out for homework and snack at my dining table.

I've been wanting to make some changes or additions, because I've had the same set up for three years and I'd like a fresh new space for a fresh new group.
littlemommy 07:17 AM 07-27-2011
Sorry for the dumb question, but what is SA?
Crazy8 08:03 AM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Sorry for the dumb question, but what is SA?
school-aged - meaning she just takes kids that are in school - no toddlers, preschoolers, etc.
Michelle 08:05 AM 07-27-2011
school age
littlemommy 08:12 AM 07-27-2011
Ah yes. Thanks ladies!
familyschoolcare 08:30 AM 07-27-2011
I have been slow to respond to this because while I specialize in school aged thier is nothing special about my set up. We use the living room and the kitchen that is it. the living room has several computers, a TV (rarely used, except as a radio) and book shelves with books and games.

Right now I only have one child that I pick up form state funded preschool and he will continue in the fall.

Basically the plan on non-school days is to do a craft in the morning have lunch at 11:30 and take a field trip between lunch and snack, Be home for snack at 3:30.

On school days the by the time we yet home it will be almost snack time and from 4:00 - 4:30 is homework club,everyone does homework even if I have to find something for you to do like practice your printing. Fridays we will watch a movie. I do not think it matter that much how you set up the room/house when it comes to school angers you must keep them busy or they get very creative and busy themselves not always in a good way. LOL
AfterSchoolMom 11:24 AM 07-27-2011
I just wonder what new families want to see - would they prefer more of a "daycare" or classroom like space, or something more home like?
GretasLittleFriends 03:53 PM 07-27-2011
I don't have a separate daycare room (hope to someday), and don't really have any pics at the moment. We use the kitchen & living room (which combined are 1/2 my house and one long room), hallway and my son's room mostly for dc. We use my room and my teenagers room for naptime.

I have a mixed age group that includes a 2nd grader, 2 first graders, one of which is my ds. DS will be 7 in sept. All 3 are boys. They usually just play at the kitchen table, in the living room, or in my son's room, or outside with my son's toys. I don't have too much special for them, other than the fact my son has a TON of boy toys.

Those three will play with little legos at the kitchen table while my 1, 2 & 3yr olds play with mega blocks on the living room floor.
GretasLittleFriends 03:57 PM 07-27-2011
Oh, and from my experiences, my parents just want a place for their children to be safe and be kids. They get enough classroom time in school, and personally I don't feel like they need it at my house.

Though, I do have a 30 minute required time for homework, if they have it, during the school year. This is mostly to give the kids an opportunity to do some of their work so the parents can enjoy their time with the kiddos after dinner without the child having to do stacks of homework.
AfterSchoolMom 04:38 PM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Oh, and from my experiences, my parents just want a place for their children to be safe and be kids. They get enough classroom time in school, and personally I don't feel like they need it at my house.

Though, I do have a 30 minute required time for homework, if they have it, during the school year. This is mostly to give the kids an opportunity to do some of their work so the parents can enjoy their time with the kiddos after dinner without the child having to do stacks of homework.
I do that too. We have homework time every day after snack. I give them at least 25 minutes to get it done, and the ones who don't have any can draw or read. Except for the Tazmanian Devil child that I had at the last part of last year, this usually goes well.
Tags:layout, pictures, setup
Reply Up