Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviews w new clients?
PitterPatter 06:32 PM 11-29-2011
How long do your interviews with new clients last? Mine are usually an hour or so but tonight it lasted almost 2 1/2 hours! That's a good thing though it went well.
Abigail 12:53 AM 11-30-2011
WOW, were they talkers or did they brings the kids to play? LOL

I've only done one interview and it was 30 minutes. We didn't go over much of anything in detail, so when I schedule my next interviews I'm going to tell them it should take about 20-30 minutes for a tour and answering questions. Then we can schedule a second meeting to go over the handbook together or just plan on staying longer if they'd like to go over it then. I sure hope I don't have 2 1/2 hour interviews! Did you get to know each other very well then? Have anything in common to keep it going so long?
Pammie 03:57 AM 11-30-2011
My average interviews go an hour to hour-15min. I go over EVERYTHING in that first interview - I don't do a series of interviews - like many of other providers, just one:-)

We go over my packet line-by-line, tour the entire house (and yard weather permitting) and a few minutes just to chit-chat. I have a plate of cookies or muffins on the coffee table and offer beverages at the beginning and again in the middle of the interview. If the parents have few questions, we wrap up in an hour - if they have lots, it's just a few minutes longer.
renodeb 10:41 AM 11-30-2011
Mine usually go about 20 -30 minutes. Some have gone longer but thats about the average here. I dont do more than one interview. I have had people only stay 10 minutes b/c most of the info was given over the phone and some stay much longer. Usually the infant ones dont stay long and the preschoolers do b/c they often will find a toy to play with.
Debbie
wdmmom 11:06 AM 11-30-2011
I do my interviewing in 3 parts. Initial interview is on the phone. Find out the families needs and if they coincide with what you offer, etc. This call usually lasts about 20-30 minutes.

First interview takes 30-45 minutes.

Second interviews take 15-45 minutes.

I cut it off at 45 minutes. I've had gabbers in here that have tried talked for far too long only to make the position sound less and less entising. Some people just don't have a filtering system and know when enough is enough!
mismatchedsocks 11:14 AM 11-30-2011
First is the first phone call. I get all info and make sure I have room for them. They hear my rates and hours, then decide if we should even talk anymore. Then I email them my handbook, and forms. Then they call me back to set something up if all this sounds good. By the time they get here, I show them around, sit with child on floor, and answer/ask questions. So about 15 minutes. Longer if they want to start soon, then i explain what I need from them, and tell them what to sign and bring with them

Wow 2.5 hours. No way!
PitterPatter 03:35 PM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
WOW, were they talkers or did they brings the kids to play? LOL

I've only done one interview and it was 30 minutes. We didn't go over much of anything in detail, so when I schedule my next interviews I'm going to tell them it should take about 20-30 minutes for a tour and answering questions. Then we can schedule a second meeting to go over the handbook together or just plan on staying longer if they'd like to go over it then. I sure hope I don't have 2 1/2 hour interviews! Did you get to know each other very well then? Have anything in common to keep it going so long?
Well I don't do a series of interviews I only do 1. I usually show what I have to offer go over the basic policy give my rate and take it or leave it. (not in those words) They usually take it. I go over my handbook and all right there at the 1st meeting. I just show them the daycare room and go over paperwork. If they are seriously interested I send the packet home to be filled out and bring back. Usually the 1st day of care but I have had the packet dropped off early before. We sign the contract together when all of the other paperwork has been turned in.

This lady actually asked more than a few questions because she has had a very bad experience with another provider. She told me a few stories and I feel bad for her child already. The other provider is borderline abusive and breaking MANY state policies she is certified too so I don't know how she pulls it off. My new client* has called months ago and a few yrs ago but I was always too expensive as was everyone around here so she stayed in the bad situation until things got very bad. Now she said she sees you get what you pay for. I was asking 25 per day like I do all private pay clients, and 10 for just after school care. I guess the old provider charges a flat $15 per day for the whole day. Even the state pays more than that. I dropped it to $20, what the state pays. She is excited to start. Her son got along great with mine while we talked. They say they are best friends now both school age.
Reply Up