Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Alternatives To Time Out?
sahm2three 08:45 AM 01-19-2012
Can you give me your alternatives to time outs?
daycare 08:50 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Can you give me your alternatives to time outs?
depends on what it is for???

Tons of redirection.....

I have a decision making mat...sit on it until you can make a good decision

me and my shadow.... you will get to hold my hand for the rest of the activity, hour, or day.

calming table....when a child can't control their anger or cope with their feelings, they get crayons and paper, sit at a very small table and get to scribble their feelings out. This one works great... Some times If they are all going nuts, I have everyone sit and do this and we put on soft music..

Another one that I do when they are all going nuts and you cant put everyone in time out, is stop what you are doing, drop and sing soft songs...

Last resort that I have had to do twice is if the behavior is so bad that I can't control it, you are telling me you are too tired to listen, so you take your nap....Most of the time I am right ....lol
sahm2three 08:56 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
depends on what it is for???

Tons of redirection.....

I have a decision making mat...sit on it until you can make a good decision

me and my shadow.... you will get to hold my hand for the rest of the activity, hour, or day.

calming table....when a child can't control their anger or cope with their feelings, they get crayons and paper, sit at a very small table and get to scribble their feelings out. This one works great... Some times If they are all going nuts, I have everyone sit and do this and we put on soft music..

Another one that I do when they are all going nuts and you cant put everyone in time out, is stop what you are doing, drop and sing soft songs...

Last resort that I have had to do twice is if the behavior is so bad that I can't control it, you are telling me you are too tired to listen, so you take your nap....Most of the time I am right ....lol
I guess most of it is for the constant redirection. For the older kids. The 2.5 to 3's. I just get tired of constantly reminding them over, and over, and over, for the same basic rules. No running. No hitting. No screaming. Etc. Etc. Etc. I warn them, and warn them, and then end up having to put them in time out because they just won't listen or just don't get it. I honestly may just put my voice on a loop all day just repeating the basic rules.
sahm2three 09:00 AM 01-19-2012
Or the kid who constantly breaks the rules, or does the opposite of what you say, and then you tell them, and they say, "I know." Well, if they know, then WHY do they continue to do it?! LOL! KIDS!
daycare 09:06 AM 01-19-2012
when the kids run here.. I say walking feet or marching feet only the first time it happens.....The second time it happens I say, STOP. SIT. If it happens again, I say ok lets jump your wiggly legs out.....and we jump as many times til they can't jump any more....They love that one...

What is your set up like with the DC and house...anything you can move to prevent the running?

for the yelling, show them how to whisper. One time I had a kid that wouldnt stop so i told all of the other kids are three we are going to scream....we did and the kid that was the screamer got so upset...lol did work for a bit, but was a bad lesson..

Most of the time when a child here won't listen, I make sure we are going to have a really fun activity and then they have to sit and watch us. I will then tell the child, children who dont listed dont get to have any fun. I really want for you to come and join us, but you made a bad decision. SO I need for you to show me how you can make a great decision and show me that you are a big boy/girl.
sahm2three 09:19 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
when the kids run here.. I say walking feet or marching feet only the first time it happens.....The second time it happens I say, STOP. SIT. If it happens again, I say ok lets jump your wiggly legs out.....and we jump as many times til they can't jump any more....They love that one...

What is your set up like with the DC and house...anything you can move to prevent the running?

for the yelling, show them how to whisper. One time I had a kid that wouldnt stop so i told all of the other kids are three we are going to scream....we did and the kid that was the screamer got so upset...lol did work for a bit, but was a bad lesson..

Most of the time when a child here won't listen, I make sure we are going to have a really fun activity and then they have to sit and watch us. I will then tell the child, children who dont listed dont get to have any fun. I really want for you to come and join us, but you made a bad decision. SO I need for you to show me how you can make a great decision and show me that you are a big boy/girl.
My set up is pictured in the Playroom setups. There isn't a ton of room to run. But they run everywhere. I have a car table in the middle of the play area, which I thought would keep them from running, but they run AROUND the table. I think I am going to use the rule (not sure who suggested it in a different thread) about only being allowed to be on their butts in the play area. Just not really sure what else to do.

With the colicky baby, we haven't been able to do a lot of fun activities. we got out our special blocks today and they are building with those which has been good, except every time they move a block I have to check it out! LOL!
wdmmom 09:20 AM 01-19-2012
I have a "chill zone". It's a small area where that has toys and the kids are to play alone for a little bit.

I use this daily. Sometimes the kids get too overwhelmed with others and need a break.

It's our "take a break" spot.

It's not designed as a time out for punishment.
wahmof3 10:40 AM 01-19-2012
or the blank stare you get when you're warning them, you know the look- your lips are moving and nothing must be coming out!

We take a "break" and they sit down to "regroup"

Some days I feel like a broken record
skittles 11:02 AM 01-19-2012
we are not allowed to use time outs here in our state. I find ending the activity usually works well with my group! We just end it and move on.
dave4him 12:55 PM 01-19-2012
a paddle
No seriously redirection, get the kid focused and have them repeat what they did wrong and move them onto something new
Christian Mother 01:17 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I guess most of it is for the constant redirection. For the older kids. The 2.5 to 3's. I just get tired of constantly reminding them over, and over, and over, for the same basic rules. No running. No hitting. No screaming. Etc. Etc. Etc. I warn them, and warn them, and then end up having to put them in time out because they just won't listen or just don't get it. I honestly may just put my voice on a loop all day just repeating the basic rules.
Ohh!! That's me in my home...specially when one special little boy comes...lol!! You know what I do...and they hate it..lol!! If I catch a child running..they have to go right back to where they where and walk back to me. I just keep doing it over and over and ask them where do we run...and then they tell me "outside"...great!! Then you run out side. We DO NOT run in the house. It's a lot of making them go back and walk after I catch them. Even my 4 yr old get to participate in "You got caught..now you must go back and Walk." LOL!! For children that are just about a yr and don't understand time out and can't sit in it properly...I use a play pen. If they throw a fit we have "The Crying Room". I have a table with small chairs for time outs. They get to sit in that for a bit to chill out. Although...lately we haven't been having many time outs. I give a few reminders of what happens if we have a time out...my parents and I have come to agreement that they will set incentives and talks daily as reminders of what happens if there is a time out and through out the day I remind them also. If there is 1 time out one of my kids losses cartoons at home..he gets to watch "Chugington" before bedtime. Here if he gets a time out he losses his popsicle. If he gets 2 time outs during the day his parents give him a spanking and I don't give him his stickers to take home. So far it's been working well. We've been doing it for about close to a yr now. The other one normally never gets a time out. If he does it's bc he bit someone. He only lashes out once in a great moon.
kidkair 01:18 PM 01-19-2012
Tons of pillow on the floor! They have a very hard time running without falling and learn to slow down a bit when there are pillows everywhere. Plus I can sit them all on a different pillow if they get to be too loud and have them stay on one pillow for a few minutes to chill.
daycare 03:16 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by kidkair:
Tons of pillow on the floor! They have a very hard time running without falling and learn to slow down a bit when there are pillows everywhere. Plus I can sit them all on a different pillow if they get to be too loud and have them stay on one pillow for a few minutes to chill.
I like...I want to try this.

how come I don't have a like button??????
Tags:discipline - consistency, discipline - positive, discipline plan, redirection, terminate - inappropriate behavior, terminate - violent
Reply Up