Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Criminal Record Exemption California
Tammy1 08:02 AM 06-27-2018
Hi,

I was convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence last month and wanted to know my chances of getting an exemption in California. I currently work in a daycare and my employer said they will help me with the process. My concern is that I just started probation and DV classes which won't be completed for awhile. I'm wondering how often then grant exemptions for someone that is just starting the rehab process and with a violent crime? any help is very much appreciated.
CityGarden 10:24 AM 06-27-2018
If you were a home daycare or worked in a home daycare you would likely not be able to get an exemption with a violent crime so recent. I am not sure if that would be different in a center setting but in my experience they do not tend to give exemptions for recent items.
Tammy1 07:53 AM 06-28-2018
thanks for the reply. I'm thinking the same thing that they wouldn't give me an exemption without me finishing probation and my DV classes. Problem is my probation is 3 years long. I spoke with them over the phone but they really won't give me any definite answers. Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Leigh 09:08 AM 06-28-2018
Originally Posted by Tammy1:
thanks for the reply. I'm thinking the same thing that they wouldn't give me an exemption without me finishing probation and my DV classes. Problem is my probation is 3 years long. I spoke with them over the phone but they really won't give me any definite answers. Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
I believe that it is common to go back 7-10 years when considering a license. DV is something that may never be overlooked, though, and if there was a child involved, it will never be overlooked (if you're on a registry). I am sorry, but I truly don't think that an exemption will be issued for several years, if ever.
hwichlaz 12:23 PM 06-28-2018
It’s different with centers so try. My bf can’t get an exemption for a dui from 2 years ago, but I know a center employee with an exemption for two duis that are more recent. I wish DV wasn’t a non-ememptable crime because so many of the convicted were actually the victim.
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 06-28-2018
Info on exemptions http://www.cdss.ca.gov/inforesources...eck/Exemptions

Is the state aware that you are currently working or are you not working due to this situation? Does your employer have to notify the state immediately after learning about your charge?

I’m sorry you are dealing with this... but in all honesty this might be a deal breaker for many employers and/or parents. Any form of violence on your record is unacceptable when working with kids IMHO

If you are able to obtain an exemption I hope your state also requires parent notification. It only fair.
Tags:background check, california, convictions, criminal history, criminal record, domestic violence, exemption
Reply Up