Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With New DCB!
kitkat 09:32 AM 08-25-2011
I have a new dcb who is 2. He's only part time and this is his 3rd time here. This is not his first time in care, but he has been home with mom most of the summer. Drop off is ok, but he clearly misses and wants mom. He'll go from window to window looking for her and asking for her. Today went much better, but as soon as we sit down to eat, he's constantly asking and looking for her. When I remind him to eat, he pushes his food away and says no, then talks about mom again. Sometimes he says no or that he doesn't want to with a smile. I'm sure this will pass and it's just an adjustment period. Any thoughts on what I can do to get passed the looking and asking about mom thing?
Michael 05:32 PM 08-25-2011
Some helpful threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ration+anxiety

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ustment+period
momofsix 05:42 PM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by kitkat:
I have a new dcb who is 2. He's only part time and this is his 3rd time here. This is not his first time in care, but he has been home with mom most of the summer. Drop off is ok, but he clearly misses and wants mom. He'll go from window to window looking for her and asking for her. Today went much better, but as soon as we sit down to eat, he's constantly asking and looking for her. When I remind him to eat, he pushes his food away and says no, then talks about mom again. Sometimes he says no or that he doesn't want to with a smile. I'm sure this will pass and it's just an adjustment period. Any thoughts on what I can do to get passed the looking and asking about mom thing?

It doesn't sound like he's crying for her?
His reaction seems pretty normal to me.
Distraction is the best I can come up with right now! If you can find something he really loves to do, or that might be new to him it will keep his mind off of missing her. Gradually he'll be busier for longer stretches at a time so he won't be constantly missing her.
I would also let him know it's OK to miss mom and reassure him that she will be back soon (maybe after he eats his food!) Seriously though you could say something like "after you eat your lunch we will read books, then have quiet time and then mommy will come!" (or whatever the schedule is)
It will pass soon!
Tags:adjustment period, circle time, creative curriculum, separation anxiety, toys - best choice
Reply Up