Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Separation Anxiety
DJV 11:46 AM 09-01-2011
I have a three year old boy who cries the whole day unless the TV is turned on for him. Much as I would love to be lazy and let the kids watch TV all day long, I simply can't justify that. I did read somewhere about having a "crying spot" for the child away from the other children so he doesn't upset them, so I tried that today and so far all he has done is sit there and cry. I don't yell at him or threaten him with punishment or anything else but seriously, listening to a child cry all day long grates on the nerves! He's quite new to me and I'm not sure how long I should put up with this for or how long it may last.
cheerfuldom 02:24 PM 09-01-2011
Do you have a trial period? Mine is 2 weeks but I have termed as quickly as 2 days. If its not working, than don't drive yourself crazy listening to crying all day. either he fits in or he doesn't
grandmom 02:34 PM 09-01-2011
IMHO, if you give in and turn on the tv now, he will learn quickly that he gets the tv all the time, and that if he cries, he gets whatever he wants. Turn on some music so you can hum along with the songs instead of listening to him. Good luck.
sharlan 02:49 PM 09-01-2011
I have a chair in another room that is the "crying chair". You may sit there as long as you want to cry. My 3 yo used it a few days, then decided he didn't need it anymore.

How long have you had him? What does Mom have to say about his continual crying? Does he do it at home, or just at your house?
daycare 02:52 PM 09-01-2011
has this child been in any form of care before?
Michael 03:08 PM 09-01-2011
More posts on Separation Anxiety: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ration+anxiety
DJV 04:01 PM 09-01-2011
She recently moved him from the old childcare place as she felt he was babied too much and that very definitely shows! I have two year olds who can put on their own shoes, coats and are very independent but he just stands there and has no idea what to do. I'm hoping he'll come around. His mom and dad just split up a few months ago as well and she is now going back to work full-time, plus the fact that his big sister just started Grade 1 so he's really missing her as well. I'm really hoping it will work out as other than the crying he seems to be a really nice little boy. Separation anxiety is really really hard on everyone.
Tags:separation anxiety
Reply Up