Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Still Working On Opening...
Mister Sir Husband 09:19 PM 08-27-2013
So I've been kinda quiet here for a while, but for no other reason than I'm just super busy. I did all my paperwork, took my classes and had the ocfs inspect my daycare space and property. All was fine except for a few minor things to have done for safety reasons and I would be ok to get my license. Then the fire/safety inspection happened. He found a few rather large problems that needed to be addressed before I can open. A lot of it was issues with my basement that I am planning on using for some of my space, but the main thing was I needed 2 exits off the main floor that were far enough away from each other. The two I already have were too close together. So... an existing deck that's located off my kitchen on top of my garage is getting a 48 inch wide walkway across the rest of the roof and down to the ground. So basically I've been busy outside building it. Hopefully I will be done in a week or so, can get re-inspected and get the doors open..
Michael 12:09 AM 08-28-2013
Sounds like a lot of work but you are clearing the obstacles one at a time. Let us know when you open and send some pictures of your renovation.
Sugar Magnolia 03:03 AM 08-28-2013
Wow, I can totally relate. It's a lot of work. Yes, please keep us updated! Good luck, best wishes!
missy 05:24 AM 08-28-2013
Congrats on it moving along!! Sounds like you have put a lot of work into it. I am still looking for the perfect location myself, can't wait to get to it!!
AcornMama 06:08 AM 08-28-2013
I didn't have quite as much work, house-wise, as you do, but I'm now on the other side of jumping through all the hoops to get my license. Such a great feeling of relief after time of stress. Sounds like it's just around the corner for you. Good luck!

Oh, and I'd jump through any hoops the state wanted me to if it meant I could have a house with a basement. I would love the storage space of a basement!
butterfly 06:44 AM 08-28-2013
Congrats on being that much closer to opening. And what fun that new deck will be - after the work of building it is done.
Maria2013 10:00 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
So I've been kinda quiet here for a while, but for no other reason than I'm just super busy. I did all my paperwork, took my classes and had the ocfs inspect my daycare space and property. All was fine except for a few minor things to have done for safety reasons and I would be ok to get my license. Then the fire/safety inspection happened. He found a few rather large problems that needed to be addressed before I can open. A lot of it was issues with my basement that I am planning on using for some of my space, but the main thing was I needed 2 exits off the main floor that were far enough away from each other. The two I already have were too close together. So... an existing deck that's located off my kitchen on top of my garage is getting a 48 inch wide walkway across the rest of the roof and down to the ground. So basically I've been busy outside building it. Hopefully I will be done in a week or so, can get re-inspected and get the doors open..
Hope everything goes well for you
melilley 10:07 AM 08-28-2013
I was wondering about you the other day.
Good luck with the reno and hope you can open soon!
Sunnyyy1 02:36 PM 08-28-2013
Good luck your almost there , those inspections can be brutal.
Mister Sir Husband 09:13 PM 08-29-2013
Concerning my deck addition.. I would like to know if the guy who originally wrote the building code that support posts need to be sunk 42 inches into the ground ever actually tried to dig this hole. And of course my yard as is most in the area is full of rocks so using an auger isnt an option. And not just small rocks either... I had to bust through some serious stones to dig the one I got done today. Took me about 4 hours.
Familycare71 10:14 PM 08-29-2013
Concerning my deck addition.. I would like to know if the guy who originally wrote the building code that support posts need to be sunk 42 inches into the ground ever actually tried to dig this hole. And of course my yard as is most in the area is full of rocks so using an auger isnt an option. And not just small rocks either... I had to bust through some serious stones to dig the one I got done today. Took me about 4 hours.
Ah- the joys of upstate New York! .
missy 01:49 PM 08-30-2013
omg my dirt is alllll rock here, I can only imagine how much sweat u put into it!
Cradle2crayons 01:52 PM 08-30-2013
Oh no!! That sounds like us when we were doing posts for different things here!! We have an auger on my dads tractor that managed to break through.mthe one we rented dint work.

I'm sorry you are having this trouble but it will be well worth the trouble!!
Mister Sir Husband 07:12 PM 08-30-2013
Ya hoo... Called building inspector this afternoon as I was digging my last hole for deck support, with hopes that I could get him to come inspect my progress before 3 day weekend as without his ok I'd be waiting til Tuesday to do any more. He said 2:00 he'd squeeze me in, I finished digging at 1:40. All work so far passed and I have ok to finish. Of course the deck only allows me to open the house for business, I still have a couple things to do in basement before that space is approved, but without the deck, nothing can be used.
Familycare71 07:50 PM 08-30-2013
Ya hoo... Called building inspector this afternoon as I was digging my last hole for deck support, with hopes that I could get him to come inspect my progress before 3 day weekend as without his ok I'd be waiting til Tuesday to do any more. He said 2:00 he'd squeeze me in, I finished digging at 1:40. All work so far passed and I have ok to finish. Of course the deck only allows me to open the house for business, I still have a couple things to do in basement before that space is approved, but without the deck, nothing can be used.

Mister Sir Husband 08:59 PM 09-02-2013
Work in progress... Hopefully done in couple more days.. tried posting picture from my phone, having no luck so I made album in my profile

Familycare71 04:58 AM 09-03-2013
Work in progress... Hopefully done in couple more days.. tried posting picture from my phone, having no luck so I made album in my profile

Looked nice! How far does it go out? Is it over a roof?
Mister Sir Husband 05:05 AM 09-03-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Looked nice! How far does it go out? Is it over a roof?
The existing deck is on top of my garage. My addition is across the rest of the roof, and over a 9ft dropoff (back of garage). I will need 6 steps to get off what I built to the ground. Whole addition is 23 foot long and 4 foot wide
Cradle2crayons 05:18 AM 09-03-2013
The existing deck is on top of my garage. My addition is across the rest of the roof, and over a 9ft dropoff (back of garage). I will need 6 steps to get off what I built to the ground. Whole addition is 23 foot long and 4 foot wide
That looks nice!!! Looks like a great solution and very professionally built!!!
momofsix 05:51 AM 09-03-2013
Good work
So glad you're almost ready!
Tags:inspection, license displayed, safety inspection
Reply Up