Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default I Love Pennsylvania

Yesterday I was at Dave and Busters for my daughters birthday
and this huge group from a high school marching band in Pennsylvania were there.
( they were here for some competition)
These kids were seriously the most polite, wonderful, and sweetest high school group I have ever seen!
I was waiting for one young man to finish playing a game and he saw me standing there and he jumped up and said, "here you go ma'am" and I stood there stunned!
Then I was in a long line at the prize room and a group said, " lets let that family go ahead of us " again ...

Where I live, when the High School gets out and is walking home, they don't move for you if you are walking a baby ( or 6) in a stroller ..they don't budge!
It's like if you want to get by, you have to go around them on the grass.

I seriously wish the kids in California had better parenting. (or at least my area)
It was like so eye opening
Good Job Pennsylvania and all those good parents out there in other sates.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Nice to hear. My son wants to go to Carnegie Mellon there. You should have asked what school they went to. It was obviously taught to them at home and furthered at school.

I use to live with a girl from Lancaster. They grow great sweet corn there. Use to get a crate of it for $5.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

I live in Pittsburgh and have lived near here all my life. Nice to hear! And Michael, Carnegie-Mellon is a great university! if he decides to come here and ever needs anything..... I'd be happy to help
Old 04-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by llpa View Post
I live in Pittsburgh and have lived near here all my life. Nice to hear! And Michael, Carnegie-Mellon is a great university! if he decides to come here and ever needs anything..... I'd be happy to help
Thanks. You never know. We have no relatives or friends there.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have some friends from our church that are from Pennsylvania and you have to be careful talking around them
If you say something like, " Darn it I need to get bread for dd's lunch tomorrow and I have no time to get it" out loud or something like that..
Guaranteed, there will be a bag of groceries on your porch that night with tons of bread and misc.

Awesome news about your son, Michael
Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 AM
Little Buttons

Smile

We moved from Monterey, CA to Pittsburgh, PA when i was 13. The difference in how friendly and personable people were was astonishing! You can strike up a conversation with pretty much anyone at anytime! Ive since married and moved to Maryland...not the friendliest state :-\ Michael...My dad is a prof for the Computer Science department of Carnegie Mellon! It is a great school!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Buttons View Post
We moved from Monterey, CA to Pittsburgh, PA when i was 13. The difference in how friendly and personable people were was astonishing! You can strike up a conversation with pretty much anyone at anytime! Ive since married and moved to Maryland...not the friendliest state :-\ Michael...My dad is a prof for the Computer Science department of Carnegie Mellon! It is a great school!!!
I thought it was just me. When I great people or say use manners they either ignore me or ask me, “You aren’t from around here. Where are you from?"
Old 04-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Little Buttons

Haha! No it is not just you! Are you from Maryland too? I grew up talking to everyone....the cashier, teller, mailman. Here, half the time i just get this look of confusion or the infamous "you arent from around here are you?" accompanied by a smile. Dont get me wrong, there are some truly wonderful ppl here, just not every person you meet.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

I visited Iowa one time for a wedding and went into a store.
They wanted to help me load the food in my car and EVERYONE talked to me and smiled at me
I was a little nervous because I have lived in the LA area all my life and people just don't do that here, unless they want something from you
so sad
Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llpa View Post

I am from the Pittsburgh area, too
Old 03-30-2016, 06:53 AM
Daycare.com Member

Sounds like me when we came to Ohio to look for a place to live before moving here. Men actually still open doors for women here. I wasn't used to that!
Old 03-30-2016, 12:00 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I am from a small English town where everybody knows everybody else for the most part!. The attitude was one of "there are no strangers...just friends we haven't met yet"

When I married my husband, we moved to LA. I have never been so unhappy in my life. It got to me so badly, that I have no desire to ever go there again. If I said hello to someone passing me in the supermarket, I was looked at like I was some kind of weirdo. Nobody smiled or greeted each other. I was very glad to leave after 4 terribly lonely months. I felt at home in Utah the second I saw a smile in the store! Neighbors brought round treats and introduced themselves. It was instant family for me as I had nobody except my husband in this country.

It's amazing how it differs from place to place!
Old 03-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
I visited Iowa one time for a wedding and went into a store.
They wanted to help me load the food in my car and EVERYONE talked to me and smiled at me
I was a little nervous because I have lived in the LA area all my life and people just don't do that here, unless they want something from you
so sad
I can commiserate, I live in LA also and can't wait to leave! Everyone here is really self-centered. Also the traffic is so bad

Tags
pennsylvania