Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Kids Do You Watch?
cherryhill 01:27 PM 03-02-2011
I watch 5 including my own daughter, which is challenging some days. I think in the past I have read someone watched 16 kids!!! if you watch more than 5 do you have a helper?

I had only intended to watch four including my own, but one of the moms was pregnant so I took her infant.

just curious what everyone's comfort level is.
Autismworld 01:31 PM 03-02-2011
I have 8 daykids.... 6 months to 5 years.... not counting my own two who have aged out.
kathiemarie 01:34 PM 03-02-2011
I have 6 dck and 1 sa.
Preschool/daycare teacher 01:39 PM 03-02-2011
That may have been a post from me that you saw about 16 children. We are a class 2 home daycare, meaning we can have up to 16 children. We don't have that many now, but last year we did on the busiest day of the week (but that was with the two of us, and we had a helper on the busiest days for a few hours).
blueclouds29 01:54 PM 03-02-2011
i only have 4 including my daughter who is almost 2 years old. I watch a 6 month old, 9 month old and 14 month old.
littlemonkeys 02:06 PM 03-02-2011
I also only have 4 including my 18.5 month old son. I have a 20 month old FT, 9 month old PT (he's a preemie that looks 4 months), and a 3 month old drop in. I'm currently trying to fill my part time and drop in space with a 2 full timers.
lil angels 02:10 PM 03-02-2011
I have 10 enrolled including my own I am legal to have 12. I do have 2 SA so they are for 2 hrs in the afternoon and one is my own. They range from 7 months to 7 yrs. I am alone and have gotten pretty used to it. Some mornings I only have 5 About half my kids are part time.
JenNJ 02:16 PM 03-02-2011
I have 5 plus my 2 kids. Not always the same 5 kids though, a few are part time. I have 3 full timers.
Blackcat31 02:21 PM 03-02-2011
I have 10 under Kindergarten age.

Three are under 2 (but close to it) and the other 8 are age 3-5.

All but one has been here since birth and all are 4 and 5 full days a week.

Average of 8 hours.
Shortest is 6 hours per day and longest is 10 hours per day.

I do have a helper for 2-3 hours per day.
SilverSabre25 02:22 PM 03-02-2011
one kid of my own, 3-4 others each day. I can have up to 6 total; one of my spaces is currently held for my own kiddo being born at the end of May.
Cat Herder 02:23 PM 03-02-2011
I have 6 DCK'S; Ages 4 months to 2 years.

I am registered with my State and am allowed 6 kids for pay, with only four under 12 months.

I am also allowed two additional SA for up to 2 hrs each, per day.

I currently have one under 12 months, three 1yr. olds, and two 2yr olds.

I am allowed up to twelve kids under 13yrs onsite at any given time if the rest are "not-for-pay", or related to me AND "not-for-pay".

My three teens do not count into my ratios....and that means they can have friends over after-school (3 max) and are not punished by my job.

My daycare is not in my family area. The two are seperate.
nannyde 02:31 PM 03-02-2011
we have a max of eight
two adults
birth to five
no more than three under 18 months
juliebug 02:41 PM 03-02-2011
i limit my self to 3 plus my two SA so 5 during the summer

right now thow i have 2 fultime and 4 part time alternating days
TSDaycare 03:13 PM 03-02-2011
I have 7 including my child, there are only 6 here at any one time though, 3 of them are 18-22 months-the other 4 are in school. I think it just becomes natural once you get into a routine, it doesn't feel like I take care of 6 kids everyday, but most of them are able to help themselves for the most part....I am able to take 8 children-so technically I am not full, but I also don't advertise- I know all of my parents outside of being their daycare provider and it has worked for me
ammama 03:32 PM 03-02-2011
I have 6, including my own 2 (2yrs and 7yrs). Dck's range from 2.5 yrs to 4 yrs old.
snbauser 04:19 PM 03-02-2011
I have 12 but have help. We are only allowed 5 as a family child care here. I am licensed as a Center in a Residence which allows us 12 with help.
littlemissmuffet 07:09 PM 03-02-2011
Five. Birth to Four.
squareone 07:33 PM 03-02-2011
I currently have 5 plus my own 2 for a total of 7. No assistant.

I am licensed for 12 but will require an assistant if I add anymore.
daycare 08:14 PM 03-02-2011
5-6 kids daily most 5 full time one part time. No helpers
Rachel 10:33 PM 03-02-2011
Last year for aftercare I had 8 - 10 depending on the day (4 are mine), all were between 4 - 6 except my ds who was 1 turning 2 last year.

Next year when I open I will either have 4 (if I do infants) or 5 (if I do older kids). Here there is a December cutoff, adn they start preschool at 3, so the oldest the group will be in September is around 2.5.
lucky 02:47 AM 03-03-2011
I have 14. 4 under 2. 1 is an infant. 4 school age children(one is mine). I do have a helper, and my 12 year old daughter helps after school.
momofboys 03:00 AM 03-03-2011
I have mu own children (9,7 & 3) & then 1 DC family with 2 children.
AnythingsPossible 04:56 AM 03-03-2011
Yesterday I had 13 due to spring break, 3 of my own and 10 dck's. In our state you can be licensed for 10 without a helper.
Most days I start out with 4 to 5 and end up with 8 to 9 after school and preschool.
Next year I am going down in my numbers. I just can't handle the higher numbers like I used to.
morgan24 04:59 AM 03-03-2011
I'm licensed for 6, but only have 2 right now, times are hard in MI right now.
MommyMuffin 05:00 AM 03-03-2011
I have 5(one is mine), from 8 weeks to 3 years old, 2 are part time. I will be welcoming my baby in July for a total of 6.
DaycareMomma 05:03 AM 03-03-2011
During the day I have 9 ages 5 and younger( But 1 five year old goes to school M-Th full time). I have 2 18 month olds, 3 3 year olds, 1 four year old and 3 five year olds. Then one SA that comes for an hour after school.

In a few weeks I have a mom coming off maternity leave so I'm terming a family that was only signed on with me during the pregnancy and birth and knew that when this other mom had the baby they had to go. So then I'll be down to 1 infant, 1 18 month old, 2 3 year olds, 1 four year old and 2 five year olds and then the SA. The SA will stop coming when summer starts, mom doesn't want to pay for a SA, 5 year old and an infant.
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by lucky:
I have 14. 4 under 2. 1 is an infant. 4 school age children(one is mine). I do have a helper, and my 12 year old daughter helps after school.
I am confused a bit by your post so I was wondering....

Is your helper an adult? I am in the same state and we canNOT have 4 under age 2 without a second adult caregiver (over 18)......so I was just wondering since you said helper and not second adult......also helpers MUST be 13 years old minimum.

However, if there is only 1 adult present and 1 helper (age 13-17) then you are only allowed two under age 2.

I have 4 under 2 yr enrolled but two of them share one spot and the other two share another spot. I never have all 4 here at one time, for me the max is two under two and that is with the second adult present......way to much work to have four under 2 yrs IMPO.
Sunny Day 07:02 AM 03-03-2011
I have 4 (ages 18mos, 2.5 and 2.5 and 3) plus my own little girl (3).
lucky 07:23 AM 03-03-2011
[quote=Blackcat31;88702]I am confused a bit by your post so I was wondering....

Is your helper an adult? I am in the same state and we canNOT have 4 under age 2 without a second adult caregiver (over 18)......so I was just wondering since you said helper and not second adult......also helpers MUST be 13 years old minimum.

However, if there is only 1 adult present and 1 helper (age 13-17) then you are only allowed two under age 2.

I have 4 under 2 yr enrolled but two of them share one spot and the other two share another spot. I never have all 4 here at one time, for me the max is two under two and that is with the second adult present......way to much work to have four under 2 yrs IMPO. [/QUOTE
The helper is 18 with all the required training. So yes a second adult, and my daughter isn't a required helper. She just likes to read to the kids, help out with arts & crafts etc. So I pay her a little spending money.
lucky 07:26 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am confused a bit by your post so I was wondering....

I have 4 under 2 yr enrolled but two of them share one spot and the other two share another spot. I never have all 4 here at one time, for me the max is two under two and that is with the second adult present......way to much work to have four under 2 yrs IMPO.

Yes the Helper is 18 with all the required training. My daughter isn't a required helper she just likes to help for fun reading to the kids or doing arts & crafts and I pay her a little spending money.
lucky 07:30 AM 03-03-2011
I don't know why that reply got so messed up. I should also add of the under 2's 3 of them will be 2 this month.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by lucky:
Yes the Helper is 18 with all the required training. My daughter isn't a required helper she just likes to help for fun reading to the kids or doing arts & crafts and I pay her a little spending money.
Gottcha! Your post didnt say so I was just wondering....

my DD loved being my helper too, long before she was legally able to and it keeps them busy as well as providing them with a bit of pocket money. Plus, she is honing her skills now so she will be the best babysitter for all those families later....

I have used many older kids who have aged throughmy program as summer helpers. It helps when they are a bit too young to stay at home but too old to be in daycare so it is win-win for me and the parents. I get a great helper and the parents feel their "tweenager" is safe.

What area of the cities are you located?
lucky 07:42 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Gottcha! Your post didnt say so I was just wondering....

my DD loved being my helper too, long before she was legally able to and it keeps them busy as well as providing them with a bit of pocket money. Plus, she is honing her skills now so she will be the best babysitter for all those families later....

I have used many older kids who have aged throughmy program as summer helpers. It helps when they are a bit too young to stay at home but too old to be in daycare so it is win-win for me and the parents. I get a great helper and the parents feel their "tweenager" is safe.

What area of the cities are you located?
I'm in Saint Joseph actually.

I am wondering do you know if you have former daycare kids that want to come "help" do you have to count them in your numbers? I am just wondering because I have 2 girls 11&12 who would love to come a couple days a week, but I would technically have room this summer.
lucky 07:44 AM 03-03-2011
I meant wouldn't have room. I really can't type today!
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 03-03-2011
The day they turn 11 is the day you NO LONGER have to count them in your licensing capacity. So you could technically have however many 11 year olds as you wish and it does not matter....

Just wondering where you were at becasue my sister lives in St. Paul, my brother lives in Coon Rapids and I have several friends from the Mound and Lake Minetonka area.
Symphony 08:52 AM 03-03-2011
I am licensed for 10, but if I have any infants I cannot go over 8. Right now I have 8 including one of my own, three 1yrs, two 2yrs, two 3yrs, and one 4yr, I have three SA's of my own, but they don't count in my ratio.

I have two infants coming in the fall, and three children leaving.
newtodaycare22 09:40 AM 03-03-2011
I am licensed for 8 with 2 under 2, but I only take preschoolers.

Right now I have 5 full timers that come everyday, 1 part timer that comes 2-3 days, and 1 part timer that comes 1 day. So, I have between 5-7 on a given day and it's just me. I don't love the 7 kid day because we can't fit in my car....so I won't be filling that extra spot in the fall. I originally said I wanted 5 kids but the extra part timers are nice and helpful to the bills!
Tags:children - how many, ratio
Reply Up