Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Too Young To Exercise? Really?
daycare 11:02 AM 11-04-2011
My DCK are very active. Every day we preform several different types of very physical activities.

Yesterday we went on an adventure hike. I set up a treasure map and planned out a treasure hunt for all of the kids. One of my dck is only 17 months old.

We were outside off and on for about 5 hrs yesterday in perfect 70 degree weather.

I used my pedometer to calculate our distance traveled that day, just to show the kids. Total for the day was over 2 miles of walking. Again this was off and on over the entire day.

I posted our day on our website about what we did, pictures and our impressive miles hiked.

This morning DCM rips me a new one telling me that was way too much for a 17 month old and that her child is too young to exercise. This mom never asked me, even though she saw pictures of the wagon, how her child got around throughout the entire day. the child was not crying, did not struggle and actually wanted to walk and run with the big kids 90% of the time we were out.

Is this too much for a 17 month old? Is this child too young for my program?.
laundrymom 11:07 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
My DCK are very active. Every day we preform several different types of very physical activities.

Yesterday we went on an adventure hike. I set up a treasure map and planned out a treasure hunt for all of the kids. One of my dck is only 17 months old.

We were outside off and on for about 5 hrs yesterday in perfect 70 degree weather.

I used my pedometer to calculate our distance traveled that day, just to show the kids. Total for the day was over 2 miles of walking. Again this was off and on over the entire day.

I posted our day on our website about what we did, pictures and our impressive miles hiked.

This morning DCM rips me a new one telling me that was way too much for a 17 month old. This mom never asked me, even though she saw pictures of the wagon, how her child got around throughout the entire day. the child was not crying, did not struggle and actually wanted to walk and run with the big kids 90% of the time we were out.

Is this too much for a 17 month old? Is this child too young for my program?.
I think you should use the new one she ripped you to leave her a gift. ;-).

You did great.

My response, after I picked my surprised jaw up, would be,... I'm so sorry you feel that way. Let me get you the termination form to sign so I can start calling through my waiting list, because you will NOT yell at me like this again.
Heidi 11:07 AM 11-04-2011
I remember one mom who arrived in the am with her son (8 mo), we were on our way to walk (65 degrees and slightly breezy, sunny). Spot was waiting in the stroller.

"Oh, my, are you going OUTSIDE? Little N- is just not DRESSED to go outside". lol...

"Yes..xx..we go out side every day at this time". argggg!

SHe did not last long, btw. First parent I ever "fired"!
Heidi 11:08 AM 11-04-2011
sorry! I just realized I "hijacked"!!!

You did nothing wrong...she is a whackoooo!
daycare 11:10 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
sorry! I just realized I "hijacked"!!!

You did nothing wrong...she is a whackoooo!
lol....hijack away...its nice to hear the experiences that others have had like yours so I know I am not alone in this....

I am not a good place for your child if you are raising a bubble baby or couch potato.....
Meyou 11:21 AM 11-04-2011
My kids walk 2-5 km EVERY DAY. Plus hours of outside play. You aren't doing anything wrong. That mother is totally out of line.
SilverSabre25 12:03 PM 11-04-2011
mom's nuts. I see no problem with that and think it's great!!

Reminds me a bit of a family I interviewed early in the summer--it was just before my baby was born and they were looking for care for their 2 month old. She thought that it would be too hot outside for her baby if it was warmer than 85 degrees. Even dressed in just a diaper (she might catch a chill). And the mom wasn't happy with the idea of the baby laying next time me on a blanket under a shady tree, or reclined in a stroller beside me, or even napping in a pack n play I set up outside in the shade..

Needless to say, she didn't choose my program. Which was fine...I wasn't going to accept her!
daycare 12:10 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
mom's nuts. I see no problem with that and think it's great!!

Reminds me a bit of a family I interviewed early in the summer--it was just before my baby was born and they were looking for care for their 2 month old. She thought that it would be too hot outside for her baby if it was warmer than 85 degrees. Even dressed in just a diaper (she might catch a chill). And the mom wasn't happy with the idea of the baby laying next time me on a blanket under a shady tree, or reclined in a stroller beside me, or even napping in a pack n play I set up outside in the shade..

Needless to say, she didn't choose my program. Which was fine...I wasn't going to accept her!
wow...bubble baby....

This is the youngest child in my DC and i normally don't take this young, but my numbers were way down.

He is only here part time and I have been getting calls for full time the last few days, so I think that this child may be hiking out of here... I love him already, hes just so darn cute.....But you know how it goes....The mom in the PITA..........ugh....

I am trying to be understanding, but still keeping a backbone
AnneCordelia 12:22 PM 11-04-2011
We do the school walk twice a day. My 3yos all walk 4 miles a day. My babies come in the stroller but as they're learning to walk I'm letting them do it more. We often detour to the park (adding a mile to our day) and play there for an hour in the mornings too. Not to mention time in my backyard every afternoon.

I have 4 1yos and 2 3yos.
sharlan 12:25 PM 11-04-2011
Question - is the child coming home and crying from leg cramps?

Kids need to be outside running and playing. They need the vit D from the sun. They need the fresh air.

As long as the child isn't crying, isn't getting sunburned (or hypothermia), then I think what you are doing is right.
mismatchedsocks 12:29 PM 11-04-2011
Wow you would think that she would be happy you had the child up and moving and not in a stroller the whole time! Its not like you marched them all in a line for 5 hours and you walked 2 miles straight. geesh

Great job, keep doing as you are doing.
Unregistered 01:00 PM 11-04-2011
It seems kind of far when you actually come right out and say 2 miles, but I bet that little fella would walk that far in a day just playing in the house too. That age never sits unless they have to and then they don't really like it much. I'd say keep up the good work. I wish I had somewhere we could go that was within a 1 mile walking distance.
daycare 01:16 PM 11-04-2011
well as we all say..... We can't please every single one of them...

I am just going to let it ride until the end of the year....But, I am going to stand my ground and not bend for this family Like I have in the past...

thanks for the replies... I actually was starting to doubt myself for a second there. Many of you that know me, know I do this a lot....The parents get to me and I start to feel like I am doing something wrong...

I have to learn to stop doing that.....
Meyou 01:38 PM 11-04-2011
It's really not that far, daycare. It's a good long walk but that's a healthy thing they should have in their lives anyway.
daycare 01:47 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
It's really not that far, daycare. It's a good long walk but that's a healthy thing they should have in their lives anyway.
thanks, like someone said,. Its not like I was making them do it all at one time in a line marching like soldiers....lol

I am a health nut... I can't sit, so I would never ask a child to either...
kidkair 03:08 PM 11-04-2011
I think it's wonderful! You should point out to the mom that the wagon is there anytime her kid wants to use it. I once took my kids to visit someone a mile away and I have a stroller that folds and can be dragged when not being used. I have to have a stroller for over 3 blocks for all kids under age 3. So the 2.5 year old dragged the stroller the mile there and the mile back! He loved it! He was super happy to be helping out and refused to let his older brother or me help him. I don't think he even ever thought of asking to ride in the stroller cause he walked everywhere all the time. He older brother was the challenge on that walk.
misspollywog 05:24 PM 11-04-2011
She is completely out of line and I'd have shown her the door right then. How rude of her!!

My kiddos would LOVE to go on hikes, but we're relegated to staying in our large, fenced play area for safety reasons. We live in a rural subdivision where we each have acreage and most of the neighbors let their dogs roam freely. I don't trust the &#*$ dogs because they tend to roam in packs of 3 or 4 which makes them more prone to attacking random people out walking and I can't take that chance with the little ones. I also can't pack a weapon, like I normally would if it were just me.

I'd take them into the woods hiking but we have cougars and grizzly bears here and again, can't pack a proper weapon around the kids soooo...

I think we'll start driving into town a couple days a week and hike the paved trails around the Snake River, though. They'd love it.
daycare 05:35 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by misspollywog:
She is completely out of line and I'd have shown her the door right then. How rude of her!!

My kiddos would LOVE to go on hikes, but we're relegated to staying in our large, fenced play area for safety reasons. We live in a rural subdivision where we each have acreage and most of the neighbors let their dogs roam freely. I don't trust the &#*$ dogs because they tend to roam in packs of 3 or 4 which makes them more prone to attacking random people out walking and I can't take that chance with the little ones. I also can't pack a weapon, like I normally would if it were just me.

I'd take them into the woods hiking but we have cougars and grizzly bears here and again, can't pack a proper weapon around the kids soooo...

I think we'll start driving into town a couple days a week and hike the paved trails around the Snake River, though. They'd love it.
OMG sounds like you live in a jungle.....ahahh

I am scared to death of dogs... I would never be able to live in a place that did not have a leash law...

I make my daycare kids walk within arms distance to me because I am always fearful that a dog might come out.. It has happened once, but the dog was the size of my foot and when it came out us I yelled at it to go away.... It did.........

wow Bears, Cougars......holy cow, yeah i would be staying within a fence too....

If I had to do that I think I would be getting a child made treadmill lol....

BUT I bet where you live it so beautiful, green and free of smog....
misspollywog 06:00 PM 11-04-2011
OMG sounds like you live in a jungle.....ahahh

I am scared to death of dogs... I would never be able to live in a place that did not have a leash law...

I make my daycare kids walk within arms distance to me because I am always fearful that a dog might come out.. It has happened once, but the dog was the size of my foot and when it came out us I yelled at it to go away.... It did.........

wow Bears, Cougars......holy cow, yeah i would be staying within a fence too....

If I had to do that I think I would be getting a child made treadmill lol....

BUT I bet where you live it so beautiful, green and free of smog....
Yellowstone is our "backyard" so yeah, it's pretty awesome.

(Er, ask me in January when it is 10 below and I'll have a whooole other view on living here hehe.)

This spring I want to go on a field trip to Bear World and let the dc kids feed the baby bears. It's just around the corner from us: http://www.yellowstonebearworld.com/

I think it is $50 per person to pet and feed the baby bears though!

Still, a chance of a lifetime and better than being eaten by a momma bear in the wild!
daycare 06:14 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by misspollywog:
Yellowstone is our "backyard" so yeah, it's pretty awesome.

(Er, ask me in January when it is 10 below and I'll have a whooole other view on living here hehe.)

This spring I want to go on a field trip to Bear World and let the dc kids feed the baby bears. It's just around the corner from us: http://www.yellowstonebearworld.com/

I think it is $50 per person to pet and feed the baby bears though!

Still, a chance of a lifetime and better than being eaten by a momma bear in the wild!
OMG I love yellowstone national park...one of my favorite places in the world. I have been many many times.. I went before the major fires back in the early 90s and then again 4 more times after....OH what a difference.

It definitely is one of the most beautiful places in the world....

I would love to feed the baby bears....as long as the mama bear is locked up....lol
misspollywog 06:30 PM 11-04-2011
OMG I love yellowstone national park...one of my favorite places in the world. I have been many many times.. I went before the major fires back in the early 90s and then again 4 more times after....OH what a difference.

It definitely is one of the most beautiful places in the world....

I would love to feed the baby bears....as long as the mama bear is locked up....lol
Those fires... ugh. The forest is regrowing nicely though and it's good for the natural cycle but still, right afterwards it was so depressing to drive through it!

Everyone should see Yellowstone at least once in their life!!! No matter how often we pass the Tetons or drive up into the park, it still takes my breath away and I thank God every day that I get to live here.

Well, except in mid-January. By mid-April Him and I have made up and all is well again.
Nellie 07:40 PM 11-04-2011
I live out in the country and we have trails through the woods. I reason I bring the stroller is for when we turn around and sometimes a few of the little ones will want to turn back around and run in the opposite direction. Most of the time little ones like that want to be up and running with the big ones. You had a wagon for in case any one was tired or couldn't keep up. My own two boys always played in a squatting position. They didn't sit, they squatted. You could see every little muscle in there legs. I once fallowed one of them around for 15 minutes before I was exhausted. The next day my legs burned so bad. I did it for 15 mins. and they do it all day long. Way out of line. They should be lucky that you spend ample amount of time outdoors and they are active. Kids need exactly what you are providing. And if I was ever yelled at by a DCP I think I'd ask them to leave. It's a hard thankless job and if they couldn't find a better way to express there concern I'd like to think I'd stick up for myself.
Tags:exercise, parents - are clueless
Reply Up