Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Your Come Back to The Old " It's Just Allergies"
Valerie928 11:32 AM 04-27-2019
I know most of us have heard this at drop off...."Snowflakes nose is running a lot, it's just her allergies" Parent exits quickly leaving their sneezing, snot all over child.
Fast forward 2 days and all the daycare kids have Snowflakes "allergies" How do you deal with this? I swear parents think I am stupid. I know a cold when I see one. Do you say something? If so, what? I am so over being taken advantage of.
Msdunny 01:23 PM 04-27-2019
I usually say something like "it looks like we all caught Snowflake's allergies!" Said with a big smile. Just so she knows that I know she was just blowing smoke.
finsup 06:01 PM 04-27-2019
My go to was "it very well could be allergies but my policy is to exclude based on symptoms and right now her symptoms require her to be home." if they keep trying, I welcome them to provide the documentation from the doctor as to what they're allergic to and the treatment plan. Once they realized they will need to actually go to the doctor and do something about "allergies" they stop trying.
e.j. 06:07 PM 04-27-2019
I usually say something like, "If I had a dime for every time a parent told me a child _____ (was teething, had allergies, ate something that disagreed with his stomach...fill in the blank with whichever is appropriate), I'd be a wealthy woman! Which parent should I call for pick up if I need to send jr. home?" All said with enough of a smile that they think I'm joking...but not really.
nannyde 05:32 AM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by finsup:
My go to was "it very well could be allergies but my policy is to exclude based on symptoms and right now her symptoms require her to be home." if they keep trying, I welcome them to provide the documentation from the doctor as to what they're allergic to and the treatment plan. Once they realized they will need to actually go to the doctor and do something about "allergies" they stop trying.
Yup
Can't have a kid in my house allergic to something I don't know about. I could be exposing him/her without even knowing it. I need a copy of the allergy test results and the plan of action from the doctor. Not a doctor's note stating seasonal allergies but EXACTLY what they are allergic to.
Ariana 08:58 AM 04-28-2019
Allergies means a trip to the DR for a management plan. In the meantime I exclude for excessive runny nose and mucuos.
Snowmom 07:15 AM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by finsup:

Yes. If anyone mentions allergies, it must be documented with a DR's directive on file. Even "seasonal allergies".

I send home for excessive runny nose or coughing.
If it's on the border, I will make a judgement call and they all know that I expect them to be proactive in keeping their child home if they are not at 100% but ultimately, it's my call if I allow them in too.
I do use medical masks as well. So, if I suspect a child has something and the symptoms are mild enough to stay here, on the masks go. It has cut down on the spread of colds tremendously!
Mom2Two 11:25 AM 04-29-2019
If I say something to the parent, it is usually about how I can tell the difference. Colds get better, seasonal allergies don't start changing booger colors after a few days.

As far as symptoms go, I'm only willing to wipe a nose about every 30 minutes, and my policies say so. It just doesn't work to have to wipe much more than that due to the constant hand washing, and also that it's too hard to stop them goobing on the toys or other kids when their nose is running that much.

And once a parent has tried to pull one over on me about allergies, their credibility goes down. I'm a lot quicker to get firm with them the next time something comes up.
lovemykidstoo 12:34 PM 04-29-2019
It's always allergies or teething. The last time it was teething. I said by the end of the week I will be teething
Valerie928 03:32 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
It's always allergies or teething. The last time it was teething. I said by the end of the week I will be teething

Lol! Yes, this pretty much sums it up!!
Daycaremomma01 08:19 PM 04-29-2019
DCP dropped off 3 kids with “allergies” (runny nose, cough) on a Thursday and Friday - youngest spiked a fever just after lunch Friday so I called dcm to pick them up. My toddler ended up catching the cold (colds quickly turn pneumonia or croup for her EVERY time) so I spent the whole weekend managing symptoms and administering breathing treatment - everything I’ve been told to do at the slightest sign of a cold coming on - I texted DCM Sunday and let her know that I wouldn’t be available Monday because toddler had caught her kids allergies and was going to the doctor. Not the ideal way to handle it... I just created a contract(handed out at drop off this morning, yay!) and made sure to add that runny nose with ANY accompanying symptoms or any color but clear would be denied care or sent home. (And that “dose & drop” is grounds for immediate termination.)
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 04-30-2019
Originally Posted by Daycaremomma01:
DCP dropped off 3 kids with “allergies” (runny nose, cough) on a Thursday and Friday - youngest spiked a fever just after lunch Friday so I called dcm to pick them up. My toddler ended up catching the cold (colds quickly turn pneumonia or croup for her EVERY time) so I spent the whole weekend managing symptoms and administering breathing treatment - everything I’ve been told to do at the slightest sign of a cold coming on - I texted DCM Sunday and let her know that I wouldn’t be available Monday because toddler had caught her kids allergies and was going to the doctor. Not the ideal way to handle it... I just created a contract(handed out at drop off this morning, yay!) and made sure to add that runny nose with ANY accompanying symptoms or any color but clear would be denied care or sent home. (And that “dose & drop” is grounds for immediate termination.)
Good idea to have a strict illness policy!
It definitely helps curb the cycling of illnesses.

Just wanted to point out however that green/yellow nasal discharge does not always mean infection. You can have an illness in conjunction with clear nasal discharge too

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/feat...-about-mucus#1
"You might have heard that yellow or green mucus is a clear sign that you have an infection, but despite that common misperception, the yellow or green hue isn't due to bacteria.

When you have a cold, your immune system sends white blood cells called neutrophils rushing to the area. These cells contain a greenish-colored enzyme, and in large numbers they can turn the mucus the same color.

But "you can have perfectly clear mucus and have a terrible ear and sinus infection," Kao says. If you do have an infection, you'll likely also have other symptoms, such as congestion, fever, and pressure in your face, overlying the sinuses"

Flowerchild 06:18 PM 04-30-2019
They said allergies today but they had a fever of 101.3😞
Firefly 06:16 AM 05-01-2019
I cannot understand why parents always say it’s allergies. I just had one say that this morning. I don’t exclude for mild colds anyways so it’s not like I would turn them away. I don’t get it.
Tags:allergies, parents - are clueless, snowflake
Reply Up