Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default Girl that hits

I have a dcg, age 2.5 that is really testing both me and her parents.

Anytime someone comes near her when she is playing, she will hit them. She will also take everyone's toys and then hit them when they want "their" toys back.

I'm getting a little frustrated with her. All day long I feel like I'm correcting her. She doesn't care and nothing seems to get through to her. I feel like I've tried everything.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I have a dcg, age 2.5 that is really testing both me and her parents.

Anytime someone comes near her when she is playing, she will hit them. She will also take everyone's toys and then hit them when they want "their" toys back.

I'm getting a little frustrated with her. All day long I feel like I'm correcting her. She doesn't care and nothing seems to get through to her. I feel like I've tried everything.

Any ideas?
Have you do the "you hit you sit" thing?

Or better yet, if she hits, she gets separated for the rest of the day with a small box of uninteresting toys and she has to sit ether alone until she can learn not to hit?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2014, 03:18 AM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
Have you do the "you hit you sit" thing?

Or better yet, if she hits, she gets separated for the rest of the day with a small box of uninteresting toys and she has to sit ether alone until she can learn not to hit?
I have tried if you hit, you sit, but that does not work. She will hit someone, then look at me and go to sit down. Then she gets up and does it again!

I have removed her from the other kids, but all the kids are around her age and no one will leave her alone. Separating her makes her super interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 AM
coolconfidentme's Avatar
coolconfidentme coolconfidentme is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,536
Default

I would say she has to earn her way playing with your toys & your friends..., the kids. Separate her from everything & give her one non breakable toy she really doesn't like. Shadow her & have her eat away from everyone. Make her sleep on a mat/cot in the hallway. Have fun stuff to do with the others. Make sure she understands EVERYTHING at your house is a privilege. When you let her back into the fold, keep an eye on her. The minute she hits or hoards. Take her out of the situation & start all over. It's hard, but it works.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2014, 04:51 AM
llpa's Avatar
llpa llpa is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme View Post
I would say she has to earn her way playing with your toys & your friends..., the kids. Separate her from everything & give her one non breakable toy she really doesn't like. Shadow her & have her eat away from everyone. Make her sleep on a mat/cot in the hallway. Have fun stuff to do with the others. Make sure she understands EVERYTHING at your house is a privilege. When you let her back into the fold, keep an eye on her. The minute she hits or hoards. Take her out of the situation & start all over. It's hard, but it works.

Good luck!!
I had one just like her! Did the above and it took a MONTH. She was a tough nut! Her mom was very cooperative tho and that helped. I would have termed her if it hadn't worked
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-2014, 05:12 AM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme View Post
I would say she has to earn her way playing with your toys & your friends..., the kids. Separate her from everything & give her one non breakable toy she really doesn't like. Shadow her & have her eat away from everyone. Make her sleep on a mat/cot in the hallway. Have fun stuff to do with the others. Make sure she understands EVERYTHING at your house is a privilege. When you let her back into the fold, keep an eye on her. The minute she hits or hoards. Take her out of the situation & start all over. It's hard, but it works.

Good luck!!
Whew! I will try it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
divide and conquer, violence in child care

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daughter Says That Day Care Provider HITS Her.. fairymama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 57 03-03-2016 12:43 PM
Help with very emotional 6yr old girl please AslansG1rl Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 08-12-2014 12:40 PM
Have You Ever Had A Little Girl Do This While In Your Care? Binkybobo Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 12-12-2012 07:07 AM
Putting on my big girl panties and telling dcm it's 3x a week E Daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 10-12-2012 10:29 AM
A New Baby Girl! busymommy0420 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 09-29-2012 10:07 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming