Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Close or Not To Close?
Baby Beluga 01:14 PM 10-23-2015
DH works for an IT company that is based in Florida. Each year they fly their employees and 1 guest out (from all over the US) all expenses paid to go to FL for their Christmas party. Two years ago the party was held at Epcot. They essentially rented out part of Epcot after hours and we had part of the park (and the car roller coaster!) to ourselves...they are doing it again this year.

Problem is, I would have to close for 3 days in December. What are your thoughts on this? Should I close and go? For what it is worth, I do not close often. I closed one day on the last year (that was a non-holiday).
Kimskiddos 01:27 PM 10-23-2015
Definitely close and go! I know that is what I would do without a second thought. Tell them now and they have plenty of time to make arrangements for their kiddos.

Sounds like your dh works for a fun company.
daycarediva 01:31 PM 10-23-2015
CLOSE!!!!!! Take it unpaid if necessary but GO.

Or he can take me, strictly friends. I won't turn down a free vacation.
finsup 01:35 PM 10-23-2015
Um...do to really have to think about this?! lol. Yes close!! That sounds great, its only 3 days and providing them with plenty of notice!
mommyneedsadayoff 01:39 PM 10-23-2015
yes!!!!!!
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 10-23-2015
No, you should probably just stay open and be at the beck and call of all your clients because they never ever take time for themselves and leave their kids with you so why in the world would you want to close and inconvenience all those parents just so you can attend an amazing vacation at no cost with your husband at one of THE coolest places on earth?!?!?!?!?

Silly girl.

CLOSE!!!! GO HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
Baby Beluga 01:51 PM 10-23-2015
I know reading it, it sound like such a silly dilemma.

I just worry that parents dis enroll over something like this. I know if they do I shouldn't care - but I do
Pepperth 01:52 PM 10-23-2015
Close... No question about it.
Blackcat31 01:57 PM 10-23-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

I just worry that parents dis enroll over something like this. I know if they do I shouldn't care - but I do
Tell them you'll buy them all a souvenir... LOL!

Then get them all a framed photo of you and hubby standing outside Epcot during the fireworks display.
Play Care 01:57 PM 10-23-2015
I love Epcot, so if you don't want to close, let me know. I'll close and go for you
Baby Beluga 02:00 PM 10-23-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Tell them you'll buy them all a souvenir... LOL!

Then get them all a framed photo of you and hubby standing outside Epcot during the fireworks display.

Isn't it hands down the BEST fireworks show ever? We did not go last year but went in 2013. I have been to both Disney World and Land a couple of times, DH has never been to either. I was telling him about Epcot's fireworks and how amazing they are. He was blown away when he actually witnessed it.
LysesKids 02:55 PM 10-23-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

GO GIRL... heck, I take a full week off at Christmas, 3 days is nothing for that kind of adventure. I'm also flying out to LA CA in 4 weeks for the Thanksgiving Holiday, none of my parents batted an eye because they've known for awhile I was closed
Francine 04:32 AM 10-26-2015
GO!!! I am closing for a week in April to go on an all expense paid trip with my DH through his employer, just can't pass that up!!!
DaveA 05:26 AM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
yes!!!!!!
This! It's 3 days when you took off 1! last year. Not to mention you'll be giving them over a month's notice if you say anything soon. If parents throw a fit then it's their problem not yours. Take the time (and maybe a day or two extra) and don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it for a second.

One thing- I would make sure you work in [i]some[i] vacation/ personal time into your contract. Not only will it make you a better provider and a happier person, it will reinforce to your DCFs that you run a business that they are a client of rather than an employee serving at their whim.

Enjoy
Thriftylady 05:31 AM 10-26-2015
Tell them now, they have tons of notice. Do it unpaid, or at least give them a discount for that week and they will have nothing to complain about. If you have to, tell them it will be their Christmas gift to you!
MyAngels 05:40 AM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
This! It's 3 days when you took off 1! last year. Not to mention you'll be giving them over a month's notice if you say anything soon. If parents throw a fit then it's their problem not yours. Take the time (and maybe a day or two extra) and don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it for a second.

One thing- I would make sure you work in [i]some[i] vacation/ personal time into your contract. Not only will it make you a better provider and a happier person, it will reinforce to your DCFs that you run a business that they are a client of rather than an employee serving at their whim.

Enjoy
Exactly this! Besides, if a family left over this they're not the kind you want anyway.
Baby Beluga 08:36 AM 10-26-2015
Thanks everyone!

I do have a one week vacation written into my contract over the summer months. However, this year summer was a bit different. I had all teachers and they all went part time over the summer (I was okay with this and welcomed the break) so I did not consider my one week vacation as a true vacation that would normally affect the parents since the summer months were so wonky with attendance and all of my families were already traveling during the week I planned to close anyway.

And the one day I took off was in January for doctor appoints...parents were notified in October of this closure. Essentially what I am saying is I have never called in or closed willy-nilly. All closures have been holidays, done when parents were already on their own vacations or have been made way in advance.

I have planned to close and will notify parents this week. That will give them a little more then 30 days notice and it will be unpaid...hopefully everyone will be okay with it.
Reply Up