Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just An Opinion On 13 Months Old
jenny31052 08:38 AM 12-13-2011
I have been caring for a 13 months old girl for almost 3 months now. Now, what do you think about this...

She is still crawling, does not stand up (only fora few seconds), she spends her day crawling around looking for things to eat from the floor (from food crumbles under the table and high chairs), to whatever she can find that can fit in her mouth. She seems overly obsessed with putting things in her mouth, and doesn not care at all about anything else we do.

I have kids of my own, and I have cared for many other babies, and I am aware that each child develops at different times, and they explore by "tasting",but I start to get concerned to the fact that she is not trying, nor she is interested, in learning to stand up, and eventually let go and try to walk, and she seems obsessed with whatever she can eat.

I thought she may be hungrier than others so, I added 2 more snacks in her menu, but it didn't help...

All the infants I have watched before, and those I care for now were off walking before 12 months, and are interested in many other things other than sticking stuff in their mouth.

What do you think? how are your infants?
CountryMommy 08:47 AM 12-13-2011
Does she pull herself to a stand and cruise?

My son started walking the week after his first birthday. My daughter is now 11 months old and she is not walking yet. She does stand for a couple of seconds and cruises quite a bit; she is very interested in walking though and will often let go and try to take a couple of steps. She also puts everything in her mouth still.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. I've seen babies not start walking until they are 14-15 months old but they are smart and normal kids.
AnneCordelia 08:50 AM 12-13-2011
Over the past 6 months I've started 3 babies at 11months. Plus my own toddler who is now 15mo (the others range from 15mo-18mo now).

To me, that sounds pretty normal. Even at 15mo, 16mo and 18mo my DCKs are still VERY oral and I'm always saying, "Not in your mouth, please."

My own toddler learned to walk at 11mo but none of my DCKs walked until 14mo. With all of them it was like a switch flicked...crawling only, some furniture cruising, and then BAM they started walking.

My older 3 children all learned to walk at variable times...my youngest walker was DD at 9 months (walking exclusively! no crawling.). My oldest walker was my 2nd DS who was 17mo before he took steps (he's a developmentally normal 3.5yo now). My other two kids were in the middle at 11mo each.

I think she sounds normal.
melskids 08:59 AM 12-13-2011
My older son didnt walk until 16 months. I remember the doctor telling me not to worry until 18-20 months.

Then I was blessed with my younger son.

He didnt crawl.

He didn't walk.

He just ran.

At 10 months.

At 11 months, we found him missing from his crib one morning. After my heart attack, I found him on the top bunk of my older son's bed!

9 years later and he hasn't stopped.....
Ariana 09:05 AM 12-13-2011
My DD didn't walk until 16 months but pulled to a stand at the average age. This all sounds pretty normal to me. Although my child didn't crawl around just looking for food it sounds fairly typical with putting everything in their mouths.
frgsonmysox 09:16 AM 12-13-2011
My oldest walked at 11 months, my daughter walked at 16 months, my third child walked at 15 months, and my youngest walked at 15 months. PT and OT's don't get concerned until 18 months. Sounds like she is doing fine
Sunchimes 01:02 PM 12-13-2011
I can relate to the picking things up from the floor part. I had a dcg who would crawl around looking for things to put in her mouth too, even after she started walking. She came to me at 11 months and had never been in care or been around kids. She crawled, put things in her mouth, and screamed and cried the whole day--for 3 months.

However, about 2 or 3 weeks ago, she seemed to turn a corner. No, I take that back, it's been about a month now. Her meltdowns stopped, she quit having hysterics when the other kids came near her, and she is even interacting with them some. About that same time, she quit trawling for things on the floor. In hindsight, I wonder if that was some reaction to the stress of a new place.

But, it took a few months. The last day I had her (last Friday) she was actually the best kid here. Her mom just beamed when I told her. She will be back tomorrow, so we will see if it holds. ;-)
PolkaTots 01:10 PM 12-13-2011
As for her walking...I wouldn't be concerned in the least...I have done in home daycare for several years now, and my own children walked at 11, 14, & 17 months. They absolutely were not neglected or developmentally delayed in anyway.

And as for her putting things in her mouth...it's just how some kids are. If she isn't malnourised, I wouldn't worry, I would just make sure to keep things out of her reach that are potential choking hazards. I recently cared for a 2.5 year old girl she would put anything and everything in her mouth and her nose...nothing wrong with her, it was just what she did.
cheerfuldom 03:20 PM 12-13-2011
I would be concerned if she is not standing unassisted....has she had her one year checkup yet?
Tags:developmentally delayed, won't walk
Reply Up