Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teething Causing 104 Temperature???
mamajennleigh 05:16 AM 03-29-2010
I have a daycare mom who brought her daughter to me on Thurs. She's had a perpetually runny nose since I got her at 11 weeks, so I honestly didn't think much of the runny nose she had both days I kept her last week. She woke up from nap on Thurs. with a fever of 100.8. I called mom at work to make sure it was ok to give her Motrin and since it was just an hour from dad coming to pick her up, I didn't make a big fuss over it. I usually make them pick up at 101.

She texted me on Fri and said that dcd was taking her to doc because she was running a 103 temp. and because she wasn't eating. I asked her to keep me posted. She texted me back that night and said that doc told her it was due to teething?!?! She texted me last night with this week's schedule and mentioned that dcg's temp had gotten up to 104 yesterday (Saturday) and that they were SO glad she was feeling better on Sunday.

What in the world?? I have 4 boys of my own, 3 of whom are teenagers, and I have never in all my days heard of teething causing a fever that high. I looked in her mouth on Thurs. and she has all 4 molars almost all the way in, and no swelling or redness to indicate new ones coming in at the moment, so what gives?

Has anyone else ever heard this? I'm pretty sure dcg has a virus, so why not just tell me?
momma2girls 05:36 AM 03-29-2010
I hate it when you have parents that lie to you!! I know that my parents cannot lie to me about high fevers, because they all know I was a nurse before staying at home. LOL!!!!
Teething can cause low grade temps(under 100 degrees) There is definately an infection or something else brewing inside at 104 degrees!!!!!
Speak the truth to the family and say that teething can cause temps, but under 100 degrees- there is something else wrong with the child.
Good Luck!!!!
tymaboy 06:01 AM 03-29-2010
I agree. Teething may cause a low grade temp. Stick to what your policy says. If she wants to pass it off as teething then have her bring a dr note- it wont happen cuz dr will not agree that it is teething. Do not take the chance of her idea of teething will effect the other children (or you)
momofboys 06:13 AM 03-29-2010
I had never heard of teething causing that high of a temp. Does not seem like that would be the cause to me. My guess is it's an infection of some kind or she is getting ready to get sick. Sorry you have to deal with it but stick with your guns especially if you have a high fever policy. Lots of times we don't know the cause of the fever & for that reason alone a child needs to be kept home. The dr. may not have found anything else wrong at the time of the visit but that does not mean the child is healthy. Keep us posted.
Daycare Mommy 06:19 AM 03-29-2010
No way is that a teething fever! I had a mom try to pull that on me once. Turned out with that child, after a week of high fevering for seemingly no reason the poor kid had a urinary tract infection and mom was ticked at me for insisting she take her in even after the diagnosis.

I'd turn her away until she is fever free and would make mom give the child something to clear up that nose while she's in daycare as well. You say it's been running since she started with you? Has it been clear most of the time? May be some allergies. She may need to be on an allergy med for that.
nannyde 06:56 AM 03-29-2010
Teething, Ear Infections, and Allergies: About 90 percent of the time when children present with moderate illness symptoms the parents feel it is either teething, allergies, or an ear infection. These are three "illnesses" that are not contagious which would allow the child to be in day care despite symptoms that would otherwise exclude them from care.

Teething: It is a common misconception that children get fevers when they are teething. Children will not be allowed to attend the day care if they have a fever, persistent non clear runny nose, coughing, or diarrhea that coincides with teething.

What this child has is a fever AND teething.. .not a fever BECAUSE of teething. Exclude till she is symptom free for 24 hours WITHOUT the aid of fever reducers.
mamajennleigh 07:46 AM 03-29-2010
Thank you everyone, I am glad to know I'm not nuts. I know better than to allow a parent to tell me something like this, and I really wanted to call her on it - we see the same docs at the same pediatric center, so I know already that these docs have a "Teething produces teeth, not anything else" stance on teething. I already know that there is no way one of our docs told her that a 103 temp (the temp she had when she went to the doctor) was due to teething.

She also told me that the doc did a strep test and that it was negative, but that the "teething" fever would last 2-3 days. Was that doc psychic? How would he know how long a "teething" fever would last? It takes weeks sometimes for a molar to come through, so how does he know how long it will take? The whole thing is fishy to me, so in any case, I'm making sure she and I have a talk when she gets here tomorrow. I don't have any other babies but hers (and of course my little man) tomorrow, so I can spend a few extra minutes reminding her that if her daughter shows a fever of 100 or higher, she's going to have to come pick her up. Same goes for runny nose that is anything but clear. I've already spent about 2 months tending to my own sick household because of parents who send me their sick babies, and I'm not up to doing it any more.

Ugh, why would a first-time mom think that I wouldn't know a fever that high is NOT from teething? I think it's so insulting. . .
TGT09 08:14 AM 03-29-2010
I smell BullS***! No way does teething cause that high of a fever! Stick to your guns!
Janet 12:18 PM 03-29-2010
Teething would never cause anything more than a low grade fever, and the last time I checked, 103 was NOT a low grade fever! Also, teething doesn't cause green runny noses or yellow runny noses. I'm amazed at the lengths that some parents will go to just to not have to miss work.

Now, I know that there is always the "exception to the rule" but I think that those exceptions are few and far between!
Unregistered 01:35 PM 05-25-2010
It actually may not have been the childs teeth causing the fever, however the mother may not have been lying to you. I have a 6 month old who spiked a fever to 103.5 just yesterday. He's on antibiotics already from a ear infection he had last week. I took him to the doctor, she told me I needed to take him to the ER to have blood work done, and urine tests, and get him really looked at good. My pediatrician was very concerned. So we then headed to the hospital, and not just some small town hospital, we went to the University of Kentuck hospital, one of the best in the state. When we got taken back they took his temp. and it had gone up even more 104.2. I was freaking out!!! They gave him a huge dose of Motrin, and put cold wash rags all over him. I had been giving him tylenol and motrin, but aparently you can give way more than what the bottles says to give. Anyway they did a urine culture, strep test, blood work, and checked his ears, ear infection was all cleared up, and everything was normal. He also had no other symptoms, no runny nose, no cough nothing. After everything came back normal the ER doc told me it was his teeth, and it is normal for children to run a fever that high with their teeth, I had never heard of it either!! We got the fever down, and he hasn't had Motrin or Tylenol either one today, and he's been perfectly fine. So just know that the mother may have told you the truth as to what the doc. said.
alyssyn 09:02 PM 05-25-2010
I have 3 children of my own and when they were teething they never ran a fever that high. My youngest ran a fever of 104 which rapidly went to 105. Turns out he had the flu. I would just be really careful on this one.
QualiTcare 09:10 PM 05-25-2010
just ask her for a note from the doctor?

my kids have gotten crazy high fevers before and i learned after the first one that high fevers (that would be considered dangerous for older kids/adults) are not uncommon or dangerous for infants.

i don't remember my kids having a fever like that from teething, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. i'd believe the doctor - either a note faxed over or a phone call - something - especially if the parent is pretty trustworthy.
Janet 09:30 PM 05-25-2010
or their doctors are complete buffoons! I think that these parents need to be put in their place@
tymaboy 06:16 AM 05-26-2010
I dont think it matter if the temp is from teething or not. A temp is a temp & if you have it in your policy then you need to follow your policy cuz if you dont then the parents will take that & bring their child with a temp all the time thinking it is OK & say it is teething. I have one teething right now. The other day she ran a small fever (I kept her cuz she was the only one I had that afternoon) but I told the parents thats was the only reason I kept her & if she got a fever the rest of the week I would have to send her home. The parents understand that yes she is teething but that does not mean that the temp is from teething & it could actually be something else that has decided to show its ugly head while the baby is already miserable.
professionalmom 07:01 AM 05-26-2010
Personally, I think it's BS, too. I have a ton of RNs in my family, as well as a brother-in-law who is a doctor. Plus, I always ask my daughter's pediatrician these type of questions. The consensus has always been 100% that low grade (under 100) fevers MAY be symptoms of teething, but over 100, it's something else. I have 100.0 listed in my sick policy so I have that to stand on in declining a child.

But I am confused. I thought that a fever of 103 required immediate medical attention. A call to a pediatrician may result in "give Motrin / Tylenol and wait an hour. If no improvement, go to ER." But 104! I don't freakin' care what anyone else says, I would get the child to the hospital ASAP.

And why on Earth would any parent want to be at work, knowing that his/her child is suffering and miserable with a fever? That child needs to be in the comfort of home with mommy or daddy! Do these parents ever think of what their child needs or put their child's needs ahead of their own WANTS?
mamajennleigh 09:22 AM 05-26-2010
For the record, it was NOT teething. Turned out she had Scarlet Fever, and every one of the kids in my care ended up with it, including my own. This is exactly why I have this policy in place.

With 4 boys of my own, I can tell you that for every doctor who says one thing, there are two more who say the complete opposite when it comes to teething, among a great many other things. I've had docs who swear that teething does not produce anything at all . . . except teeth. I've had docs who swear that teething is the cause of a whole host of symptoms, including thick green runny noses and diarrhea. My personal belief is that the truth lies somewhere in between.

Bottom line, I don't care what is causing a 104 temp, that child is not coming here, just in case. I would not ever send my kid into someone's home where there are other children when they have been running a 104 temp. Not ever. My 13-year old used to spike very high fevers, for no apparent reason. He would spike a 104 temp, then 24 hours later, be fine. The docs could find nothing wrong, other than the theory that his immune system was "flexing it's muscles". I still didn't take him into daycare when he had a fever like that. With a fever like that, no matter what the cause is, the child is miserable and needs individualized attention that just isn't possible in a group setting.
Unregistered 05:56 AM 01-17-2012
I brought my daughter to the ER last night with a fever of 104 and the MD told me it was from teething too!!!!
Ariana 01:55 PM 01-17-2012
Where did these DR's get their medical degrees!!

I agree that she might be teething but there is absolutely no scientific evidence that teething causes a fever. She's fighting an illness not teeth!! At 104 temp she's just not well enough to participate in daycare IMO.
familyschoolcare 03:38 PM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Where did these DR's get their medical degrees!!

I agree that she might be teething but there is absolutely no scientific evidence that teething causes a fever. She's fighting an illness not teeth!! At 104 temp she's just not well enough to participate in daycare IMO.
Soctors say that in part (not in whole) becuase parents would rather hear that then, I am just not sure why Little Johnny hs a fever.
Unregistered 06:10 PM 07-27-2017
I was told by a parent that their child had a high fever a couple of days ago and that caused a rash, she said that the 103 temp cause the rash and the fever was from teething. Now she says she has been to the doctor with the same child with a 105 temp and a worse rash and the doctor says she can come back tomorrow does that sound right.
Blackcat31 06:57 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I was told by a parent that their child had a high fever a couple of days ago and that caused a rash, she said that the 103 temp cause the rash and the fever was from teething. Now she says she has been to the doctor with the same child with a 105 temp and a worse rash and the doctor says she can come back tomorrow does that sound right.
She might be telling the truth.
I've heard parents "relay" all sorts of things their Drs have said.

But it doesn't matter.
It's YOUR business.
If you say no; then she can't come back.
Josiegirl 02:29 AM 07-28-2017
105 temp?? That's pretty extreme. If that was my child's doctor I'd be switching.
And no way would a child with a fever or a bad rash be in my dc that day. Doctors do NOT have the ultimate say in my business.
Leigh 09:03 AM 07-28-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
105 temp?? That's pretty extreme. If that was my child's doctor I'd be switching.
And no way would a child with a fever or a bad rash be in my dc that day. Doctors do NOT have the ultimate say in my business.
Agreed. Kids don't run 105 temps from teething. Doctors always say that teething doesn't cause temps, period. I've never seen a teething child with a temp over 100 that didn't have another illness. Fever + Rash? No way. I'd exclude until the child is fever AND rash free for 24 hours.
Snowmom 11:32 AM 07-28-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I say BS. But, it really doesn't matter.
Just exclude for the symptoms, not the cause.
If the child is exhibiting a fever= home.
If the child is exhibiting a rash= home.
If the child is exhibiting diarrhea= home.
Tags:teething, temperature
Reply Up