Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is The Oddest Request From A Parent?
momofthree211614 08:05 AM 09-14-2012
Hi,

I was just thinking over the past 11 years of my daycare and have had some unique parents. And prospective parents. And a few unique/odd requests. But the most interesting came for someone looking for day care three weeks ago.
Mom calls looking for two openings. I had only one at the time. So she says ok, so you take my 3 year old, She didn't phrase it as a question more like stating a given fact.

I said it's not that simple, what exactly are you looking for in terms of care.

Well I don't know if he is getting am or pm preschool.

I said I do not do transportation to the local preschools, because they require going into the building and I can't carry two infants and three toddlers in and out to pick up your child.

Oh, you can't do that? (Really?) Ok I guess I use the bus, it will bring him there. I say sure. So then I ask what is she looking for.

Get this... Now I am open from 6:30 to 5:30 M - F.
She wanted me to open for her at 5:15 until 9:00, then she would pick him back up and take him to preschool. Then the bus would bring him home and she would bring him back at 3:00 until 4:30. And this was if he got am preschool.

Now if he got pm preschool, he would only need care from when the bus dropped him off until 4:30 when she picked up. Not sure what happened the morning.

I told her I do have openings, why didn't she call back once she found out what preschool session she got, but I wouldn't be opening any earlier than 6:30 because I work 11 hours already. She never called back. Which I was glad for, because I wasn't opening earlier, I also wasn't wasting a slot for 1.5 hours.
MyAngels 08:38 AM 09-14-2012
I once had a prospective parent ask me to duct tape their child's diaper on at naptime so they couldn't take it off and tear it apart . I said no. They went elsewhere .

I also had a prospective parent tell me that their baby needed to be swaddled "like a sausage." I asked them to demonstrate since I was sure I had misunderstood their intent. Nope, they literally rolled her into the blanket so tight she couldn't move, like a sausage . I explained that this was not safe at all, and that I would not be able to do that. They did sign on, and fortunately for the baby, they stopped with the whole sausage roll thing .
MarinaVanessa 08:51 AM 09-14-2012
I've been asked not to say the word "No" to and around DCB because DCM didn't "want to expose him to the word no". She also wanted me to prohibit the other DCK's from using the word "No".
I told her NO .

I've been asked to enroll and take a DCB in swim lessons. Mind you she wanted ME to do the work of registering him, paying for the class and she would reimburse me later with proof of receipt and since she wouldn't be able to make it right on time for the Baby and Me classes wanted ME to get into the pool with her DS for the first 10 minutes until she got there and changed into her suit. No.

I had a drop-in mom last week ask for an overnight stay. Here's how she "requested" that:

DCM: Hey Ness, I want ***** to stay the night on Thursday so I can get stuff done (she was packing. Also she didn't ask, she said "I want"). I'd pay you of course. So it would be Thursday all day and he would spend the night and then stay all day Friday too, so thats 2 days at the regular rate plus all the hours in between that he's awake.
ME: (brief uncomfortable stare at DCM) I don't regularly do overnights and if I do you'd pay for his sleeping hours too, it's not worth it for you .. trust me.
DCM: Oh, I have to pay for the time that he's sleeping too?? I see. Well how much would that be?
ME: Well look, it's a school night. And I have a training on Thursday anyway from 6:30 to 10:30pm so I won't be available anyway.
DCM: Oh that's okay [DH] can watch him while you're at your class. let me know how much that'll be.
ME: You really want to know how much that'll cost? (break the cost down with her) ... so that comes out to $145 just for Thursday until 8am Friday. If he stays here through Friday that'll be another $75 so $220. (more than an entire week of childcare at my highest rate)
DCM: Oh.
ME: And that's even if [DH] even agrees to watch him while I'm gone. That's up to him and I can ask him but I doubt he will.
DH: No (says it from kitchen, DCM didn't know he was there)
DCM: Oh. Okay.

I suppose I should say that all three examples above were the same DCM and how relieved I am that she has moved out of state
Crazy8 09:01 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I've been asked not to say the word "No" to and around DCB because DCM didn't "want to expose him to the word no". She also wanted me to prohibit the other DCK's from using the word "No".
I told her NO .

I've been asked to enroll and take a DCB in swim lessons. Mind you she wanted ME to do the work of registering him, paying for the class and she would reimburse me later with proof of receipt and since she wouldn't be able to make it right on time for the Baby and Me classes wanted ME to get into the pool with her DS for the first 10 minutes until she got there and changed into her suit. No.

I had a drop-in mom last week ask for an overnight stay. Here's how she "requested" that:

DCM: Hey Ness, I want ***** to stay the night on Thursday so I can get stuff done (she was packing. Also she didn't ask, she said "I want"). I'd pay you of course. So it would be Thursday all day and he would spend the night and then stay all day Friday too, so thats 2 days at the regular rate plus all the hours in between that he's awake.
ME: (brief uncomfortable stare at DCM) I don't regularly do overnights and if I do you'd pay for his sleeping hours too, it's not worth it for you .. trust me.
DCM: Oh, I have to pay for the time that he's sleeping too?? I see. Well how much would that be?
ME: Well look, it's a school night. And I have a training on Thursday anyway from 6:30 to 10:30pm so I won't be available anyway.
DCM: Oh that's okay [DH] can watch him while you're at your class. let me know how much that'll be.
ME: You really want to know how much that'll cost? (break the cost down with her) ... so that comes out to $145 just for Thursday until 8am Friday. If he stays here through Friday that'll be another $75 so $220. (more than an entire week of childcare at my highest rate)
ME: And that's even if [DH] even agrees to watch him while I'm gone. That's up to him and I can ask him but I doubt he will.

I suppose I should say that all three examples above were the same DCM and how relieved I am that she has moved out of state
OMG... I wouldn't have taken him overnight but I think I would have gone over and helped her pack just so she'd get out of my life a little sooner.
daycarediva 09:05 AM 09-14-2012
Was it me with the duck tape? Ds would remove his diaper EVERY SINGLE NAP and pee/poop everywhere until he was 3. (He has ASD) his daycare lady and I eventually found that if we put the diaper on backwards, he couldn't figure it out, but backwards pjs, etc. were a fail so we were (masking) taping it closed for a while! LOL!
Happy Hearts 09:07 AM 09-14-2012
I told her NO .

How mean of you to burst her little bubble
itlw8 09:31 AM 09-14-2012
I had one who wanted a puppy so she wanted me to house train it while she worked uh no.

not me but a friend was asked to roast a turkey for the mom who volunteered to take one to school and while you are at it could you carve it also?
Sugar Magnolia 09:45 AM 09-14-2012
I had a mom who wanted me to hold her daughter over the sink to pee....because that is how she does it at home. (????) I said no. One day at pick up time, I caught her in my bathroom, holding the girl over the sink peeing. Gross.
cheerfuldom 09:49 AM 09-14-2012
I told her NO .

I had the same situation on the word no and had a family leave over it.
Lianne 09:50 AM 09-14-2012
I had a parent ask me to make the 9mos old (not his kid) stop screeching (happy screeching) because it hurt his daughter's ears. His daughter was almost 4yrs old. Yeah, if I can figure out how to make a baby stop screaming on demand, I'd be rich.
cheerfuldom 09:52 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I had a mom who wanted me to hold her daughter over the sink to pee....because that is how she does it at home. (????) I said no. One day at pick up time, I caught her in my bathroom, holding the girl over the sink peeing. Gross.
she was probably doing elimination communication but I totally understand why a provider is not willing to continue doing this at daycare.
cheerfuldom 09:55 AM 09-14-2012
I had one parent ask that I feed her infant with a medicine dropper (three bottles worth a day) and go outside and hold her if she cries because she likes being outside. I asked them what they suggested I do with the other kids if I was outside with her daughter (sarcastically) whenever she cried and was told "wont they be fine inside alone for awhile?"....this was when I had 4 to 6 kids all 2 and under. The answer was no to both requests.
Chambermaid08 09:55 AM 09-14-2012
So far the only out of the ordinary request I've received was not to feed anything that wasn't organic.
MarinaVanessa 10:07 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
OMG... I wouldn't have taken him overnight but I think I would have gone over and helped her pack just so she'd get out of my life a little sooner.
OMG I think I would have killed myself. I can't take her during the 5-10 minutes a day I see her during drop-off/pick-up much less an entire evening ... although she did drop hints that she didn't know how she was going to finish it all up in time and how nobody was helping her etc.

Originally Posted by Sparrow:
How mean of you to burst her little bubble
I know right!! How evil of me

Originally Posted by itlw8:
I had one who wanted a puppy so she wanted me to house train it while she worked uh no.
What? Really?! This isn't even child care related.

Originally Posted by itlw8:
not me but a friend was asked to roast a turkey for the mom who volunteered to take one to school and while you are at it could you carve it also?
This one is also pretty bad

I remember this one!! That was just gross.

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I had the same situation on the word no and had a family leave over it.
Wow, incredible. But you probably figured what I figured. If they leave then you're probably better off.

Originally Posted by Lianne:
I had a parent ask me to make the 9mos old (not his kid) stop screeching (happy screeching) because it hurt his daughter's ears. His daughter was almost 4yrs old. Yeah, if I can figure out how to make a baby stop screaming on demand, I'd be rich.
Wow me too. I can just imagine you walking to the 9mo and saying "Excuse me Suzie. Emily is a bit disturbed at your overzealous use of your vocals. Can you kepp your decibal level down please"

I had one parent ask that I feed her infant with a medicine dropper (three bottles worth a day) and go outside and hold her if she cries because she likes being outside. I asked them what they suggested I do with the other kids if I was outside with her daughter (sarcastically) whenever she cried and was told "wont they be fine inside alone for awhile?"....this was when I had 4 to 6 kids all 2 and under. The answer was no to both requests.
Wow. My serious response would be to suggest a nanny.
Unregistered 10:18 AM 09-14-2012
asked for money to get to work, knowing they owed me for daycare, but promised to make good on it.

let the child fill up the diaper nice and full, because diapers are expensive you know.

wanted to make sure I fed the child very healthy and what I made for food. When I asked what the child ate at home and liked.... cup a noodles, peanut butter and jelly, chicken nuggets, spaghetti ohs and frozen 99 cent meals and baby rice. The kid was 6 months old. No- no work for me.

go ahead and spank the kid if he gets out of line. We have to, he is just too much.

just to name a few of the wing dingers I have had.
BumbleBee 10:41 AM 09-14-2012
Don't use the word "no"

Dose kid up on tylenol before our daily walk so kids legs wouldn't hurt

Don't let infant on the floor (crawling age)

Don't let infant put toys in his mouth

Spoon feed 3 year old
countrymom 10:55 AM 09-14-2012
I remember that post
Sugar Magnolia 10:55 AM 09-14-2012
she was probably doing elimination communication but I totally understand why a provider is not willing to continue doing this at daycare.
Yep. She was doing EC, and AP, and was OCD herself, making for a real PITA situation at daycare. Too many acronyms!
e.j. 12:06 PM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
asked for money to get to work, knowing they owed me for daycare, but promised to make good on it.

let the child fill up the diaper nice and full, because diapers are expensive you know.
Your reply reminded me of the dc mom who asked me for money so she could have her morning coffee from Dunkin Donuts. She also asked me to check her hair for lice once since her husband was away on business and she had no one else who could do it.

I also had a mother who wanted me to change her child's diaper only every 4 hours or more. I was to put lots of diaper ointment on his bum so that if he pooped, he could sit in it longer and make it the full 4 hours.

I had one that asked if it were lightening and thundering while we were playing outside, would I please bring her child inside. She actually called once during a storm to make sure I had followed her instructions and brought the kids in. Did she really think I would stay out in the yard with the kids during a storm??

One wanted me to cover for her if the sheriff's dept showed up looking for the kids. She had apparently left her husband before she moved to my state and took the kids with her without telling her husband.
SquirrellyMama 12:32 PM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by :
One wanted me to cover for her if the sheriff's dept showed up looking for the kids. She had apparently left her husband before she moved to my state and took the kids with her without telling her husband.
Oh my!
Country Kids 12:45 PM 09-14-2012
I think I remember you posting about that!
AfterSchoolMom 12:49 PM 09-14-2012
I had a set of parents request that I lock their child in my son's bedroom after school and leave them in there until pickup.
Solandia 01:16 PM 09-14-2012
I had one mom request to NOT feed her baby the bottle in my living room...only in the kitchen. Becuase they didn't want to start a bad habit by allowing eating in a living room. Sorry, that doesn't work for me, to leave the playroom for an infant feeding 3-4x/day for 15-25min each time. LOL.
spud912 01:50 PM 09-14-2012
Wow these are great! I had 2 interviews where they were denied immediately (one child had way way way too many health concerns and the other family had way too many red flags), but no "interesting" parents actually signed on, thank God!
youretooloud 01:59 PM 09-14-2012
I was asked to have the other kids stop wearing character clothing to my house because she didn't want her kids exposed to characters.
JenNJ 02:06 PM 09-14-2012
1. Do not use the word "no." Pretty common, huh?

2. "Baby doesn't like the breeze/wind. I am afraid that it will take his breath away forever. So if it is breezy at all, baby needs to be inside."

3. "We will supply you with music to play. We don't want her to hear anything we haven't approved." As if I would play something awful and curse filled.

4. "We try not to do chores while baby is awake. We want every moment filled with fun and laughter, not dishes and vacuuming." Do they have any idea what my house would look like if I did NO CHORES all day long with 7 kids running around???
Country Kids 02:13 PM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I was asked to have the other kids stop wearing character clothing to my house because she didn't want her kids exposed to characters.

I had a mom do this for my daughters bday party. It was a themed party and she wasn't sure if it would be appropriate as they didn't want her daughter influenced. They were 7 or 8 I believe.
crazydaycarelady 04:15 PM 09-14-2012
I had a dcm ask me to shove dcb's rectum back in if he pushed so hard it inverted and started coming out. She kindly gave me some latex gloves to use. Fortunatly it never happened when he was here.

Same mom asked me to go through dcb's poopy diapers looking for a penny he swallowed AT HOME!
sharlan 04:49 PM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I had a dcm ask me to shove dcb's rectum back in if he pushed so hard it inverted and started coming out. She kindly gave me some latex gloves to use. Fortunatly it never happened when he was here.

Same mom asked me to go through dcb's poopy diapers looking for a penny he swallowed AT HOME!
Uh, no, but I'll be happy to save his diapers for you.
Live and Learn 05:02 PM 09-14-2012
I had a mom who wanted to come at lunch to breast feed which I was fine with.....what I wasn't ok with is she had never taught her baby to take a bottle or to eat anything from a spoon so the baby was going to get only one feeding a day and be here from 7-3:30. Uh no!!!!!
Bookworm 05:42 PM 09-14-2012
DCB got a mosquito bite one day on the playground. DCD asked if we would hire someone to sit inside with DCB because D B has never gotten a mosquito bite before and they don't know how he will react to them. When ask why DCB never gets bitten, he said that they never take him out to play. He can only play in the house. When he was told that we weren't going to do that, he then asked if we could cover the entire playground with mosquito netting.
e.j. 06:06 PM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
Oh my!
Yeah, it was bad enough as it was but what she didn't realize is that my brother's ex-wife had just pulled something similar on my brother. I was not amused and I wanted no part of it. She didn't stay long at my day care after that!

Crazydaycarelady's post about shoving the kid's rectum back in (OMG!!) reminded me of my dc baby who was constipated. Her mother told me I needed to take a Qtip and basically help pry out any poop that couldn't make it's way out on it's own. Uh....no!
sahm1225 07:05 PM 09-14-2012
I had a DCD tell me that his 10 month old little boy could NOT play with the play kitchen. Here is the conversation:

DCD - Little Boy is NOt allowed to play with the play kitchen.
Me - why? He loves playing and pretending to cook!
DCD - It's not that Im homophobic, but my father in law is, you know.
Me - You mean germaphobic? I clean it twice a day with the clorox solution, so it is very clean.
DCD - No. You know, against gays. I dont want to risk making him gay
Me - ???????????????

I think that is the one time in my life where I have been completely speechless! My mouth was open and I couldnt think of anything to say, I just stared at him. LOL!
they didn't last very long (in fact the next day they dropped off 2 hours after their regular drop off time and when I called them at their regular pick up time asking why they hadn't picked up, they informed me that they were allowed to have him at daycare for up to 9 hours according to the contract, so they will be picking him up at 7pm instead of 5pm. That was their last day!)
dave4him 08:15 PM 09-14-2012
Today one of the kids was dropped off not feeling to well and her momma left some poweraid rather than pedi light, she asked me if i thought that would work okay.... the one year old didnt like it
momma2girls 05:51 AM 09-15-2012
I could seriously write a novel on stupid requests and questions. You think you have heard it all and something new comes up!!!! lol!!!
Loveyoustinkyface 06:12 AM 09-15-2012
I was told by DCD that I was not changing his daughter's diaper often enough. He informed me that she should go through 7-8 diapers per day, not the 3-4 diapers. That means I would be changing her diaper almost every hour, even during naps! ha

One baby was dropped off after a week vacation in New York with his parents. She said to give him lots of water today, she thought he was dehydrated from the plane ride. Low and behold, she never packed any breastmilk OR bottles! I was not able to reach her by phone either! She finally called back hours later and informed that baby had thrown up on the plane last night and didn't seem to feel well, that's why she wanted him to have lots of water! gggrrrrrr!!!!
momma2girls 06:30 AM 09-15-2012
Originally Posted by Loveyoustinkyface:
I was told by DCD that I was not changing his daughter's diaper often enough. He informed me that she should go through 7-8 diapers per day, not the 3-4 diapers. That means I would be changing her diaper almost every hour, even during naps! ha

One baby was dropped off after a week vacation in New York with his parents. She said to give him lots of water today, she thought he was dehydrated from the plane ride. Low and behold, she never packed any breastmilk OR bottles! I was not able to reach her by phone either! She finally called back hours later and informed that baby had thrown up on the plane last night and didn't seem to feel well, that's why she wanted him to have lots of water! gggrrrrrr!!!!
I would have told her, she needs to come and pick up the child immediately.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 01:22 PM 09-15-2012
I love reading these!!
I will say though- if one of my parents asked me to cook a turkey, I probably would! But, I am like that.
I haven't really had strange requests I guess. At least none come to mind.

I have watched a baby girl over night so her parents could go and get married!
Loveyoustinkyface 01:48 PM 09-15-2012
I also had a soon-to-be-divorced DCM call me and ask if DCD packed an envelope in DCS backpack, I look and there is an envelope hidden in the bottom of the backpack. She sighs (on the telephone) and asks me to please open the envelope and tell her what's in it. So I open the envelope and a check for $100,000 was in it!!! All the DCM wanted to know was the date written on the check. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I think DCM did this for the "WOW" factor cause I know I gasped when I saw the check......

Maybe I should have asked for a raise at that time!
Unregistered 05:00 PM 09-15-2012
I had a parent who didn't want me to allow her kids to wear shoes! He was already walking and we did go outside every day! She also would refuse to provide a jacket and warm clothes, and when I gave her son a jacket and warm clothes from my kids closet, she requested I not give them to him!

I had a parent who didn't want their child to play with dolls because he is a boy and he would not grow up to be a "sissy" (their words!)

I had a lady request me do to after school care for 2 kids for $12 because her child got at my house at 2:40 instead of 2:30 and she "rounded" the time up to 3pm. Um, no lady. I go by the HOUR not by the half-hour and I'm not giving you 20 free minutes a day for 5 days per week for TWO kids!

I had a parent request I don't use a carseat, but a booster for a 1yo.

I had a parent say that because their child was only with me 2 days a week, I should only get paid $10 per week because the child was 8 years old. Yeah, my teen won't work for that! lol

I had a parent want me to watch her 2 cats and a dog(and she wanted to bring them to my house!) and her kids. She went to my neighbor who also did child care and the neighbor took the cats and the dog, no extra pay; the dog caused a lot of trouble for my friend and she finally quit!

I had a parent who wanted me to watch 5 kids but only was willing to pay for one of them because the others were older!

I had a parent who wanted me to "foster" her children permanently as in keep them 3-4 days at a time! When I asked her if she was military, she said "NO" I said I only do FCP's for parents in the military and legally I cannot keep civilian children more than a certain # of hours per week. She yelled at me. I told her no WAY was I going to sign her up. The person that DID end up signing her? GOT SCREWED and ended up being the child's temp-mother because when she called DCS, the bio-mom had no family. DCS didn't pay up and neither did the bio-mother. I don't know what's happened to the child now.

I had a parent who told me she was raped at gun-point and my payment was the only thing stolen from her vehicle (he apparently kidnapped from a taco bell drive thru --though she mentioned someone both in front and in back of her, and no way to get out to the right because of landscaping and the left, obviously was the building) at gun point, forced her to drive up the mountains where I live, left her with her keys, wallet, phone and the car, stole my cash hidden in the glove box, and ran away by foot!) It came out she was a big fat liar and got into big HUGE trouble with the cops! Never did get all of my money.

I had a parent who quit on me and called me unreliable because I took THREE days off (WITH A 2 MONTH NOTICE BTW!) in the 2 years she was there. She then proceeded to call a fellow-provider (she didn't realize I knew) and told her that I took too much time off. My friend happened to know exactly how many days I had NOT taken off in 2 years, and told this lady that if she was going to complain that I took 3 days off, she wouldn't like her because she always took a 2-week vacation! I got my notice, and they tried to stiff me; I fired them that day and said that since they breached the contract, I would not be taking the kids!

I had a parent who I fired from my care after 3 years because they kept flaking out on payments in the last few months. They moved away about a month later. The new provider then called me and told me all kinds of crazy things that were going on! I was shocked of some of the things I was told, to say the least!

I had a parent whom I interviewed and thought I hit it off with. She said she was starting, and then suddenly, the morning she was to start, she texted me saying that she was afraid that her baby would be "injured" by the older kids because "what if" they misbehave?? Seriously? I found out a week or so later that she used the lady down the street who was about $10 less per month---told the lady I was "TOO EXPENSIVE" WHAT??! Then she stiffed that lady and found someone else. She is what we used to call a "daycare hopper" lol

After 10 years I closed down. I got tired of all the crazy people after my full-term long-term people moved. I had 5 steady kids for YEARS and they all fit well together, the parents all got along, everyone was happy. But they were (except 1) military families, and eventually got stationed on other bases. The one that wasn't military got a teaching job in another city. So I lost all 5 kids in one year. It was so hard to start over as it was, and all I got was nutso people after that. SORRY SO LONG! I dealt with a lot, but I think it's area-specific. lol lol
Reply Up