Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Curious ...
midaycare 10:23 AM 12-05-2014
This is my first Christmas doing daycare. I don't expect anything, but I was thinking about the "Is this Tacky" thread ... Do your dcf's do anything for you?
daycarediva 10:29 AM 12-05-2014
I've received a full weeks pay or more, gift cards in all denominations, cash, cookie trays, a case of wine (still by far my favorite gift that was worth money! haha) homemade treats, just cards/family photos, and some I'm lucky to get a Merry Christmas from.

Greatly depends, but most have done something small and it's always so very appreciative.

My favorites are ALWAYS the handwritten cards of appreciation. I'm a sap for a good heart felt thank you.
Indoorvoice 10:32 AM 12-05-2014
I didn't get anything last year. I used to give my provider 2 weeks pay on top of normal pay with a card telling her to spend it on herself
melilley 10:38 AM 12-05-2014
Some do and some don't.
I don't expect it, but it sure is nice!

Last year one family gave me a Christmas candle and treats and gave my dd a gift card to a store in the mall.

One ordered chocolate covered strawberries for me. That was when we had that big storm and she tried to surprise me, but we didn't have power for 8 days and I had to close and stay at my in-laws so she told what it was so I came home to get them.
Meyou 10:38 AM 12-05-2014
I get a week's pay from most of my clients along with a plant, baked goods or flowers. I have one who is crafty and she makes me something fun along with a family museum pass for the past 5 years. Last year she made me this amazing garland for my tree. It's burlap twine with little 3D stars she made from paper. So, so pretty.

My kids have gotten movie money or mall gift cards from most of my families for the past few years as well.

I know I'm totally spoiled.
butterfly 10:38 AM 12-05-2014
Don't get your hopes up. I've had some families give me 2 weeks pay and a thoughtful gift and I've had some not even think to wish me a Merry Christmas. Last year I had a parent organize a secret collection from all the other dcps to get me a spa day and some still gave me a gift on top of that.
midaycare 10:57 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Don't get your hopes up. I've had some families give me 2 weeks pay and a thoughtful gift and I've had some not even think to wish me a Merry Christmas. Last year I had a parent organize a secret collection from all the other dcps to get me a spa day and some still gave me a gift on top of that.
No hopes nor expecting anything, although I have a family I know will probably do something because they gave me a gift for Thanksgiving. I think it's kind of weird to expect a gift. I always did something for my dcp, but it wasn't huge.
melilley 11:00 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
No hopes nor expecting anything, although I have a family I know will probably do something because they gave me a gift for Thanksgiving. I think it's kind of weird to expect a gift. I always did something for my dcp, but it wasn't huge.
I sometimes feel embarrassed when I get gifts from dcp's, don't know why, but I do.
e.j. 12:13 PM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I sometimes feel embarrassed when I get gifts from dcp's, don't know why, but I do.
I feel the same way. I deeply appreciate their thoughtfulness but it does feel awkward for me. I think it's partly because I know that a big part of why some give me gifts is because they feel obligated to and that it's not necessarily something they want to do. I think the biggest part of why I feel embarrassed is that I feel as though they've already given me a gift when they pay on time, respect my policies, understand when I have to close for the day, etc. It's expensive to have a child in day care and I hate to add to that expense, especially this time of year.

In answer to the original question, though...I don't expect anything but my families have been very generous to me over the years. Some have given me money worth a week's pay, gift cards for stores and restaurants, jewelry, photo frames, candles, homemade crafts, cards with a note to say thank you, pies, etc. One or two families also gave gifts to my own kids who were young at the time. Several years ago, one family even gave me a handmade end table and wooden Shaker baskets one year and matching cabinet another year. Dcd taught a high school woodworking class and was very talented! They had to be my all-time favorite gifts and are still in my living room!
MyAngels 12:53 PM 12-05-2014
Most of my current families just give either gift cards or a couple of weeks pay. One family always gives me Walmart gift cards because every time their little guy asks me where I got something I always say Walmart, so he told his mom that's where they should get my present .

The funniest was a tacky christmas sign from one of my well-to-do families years ago. It had a clearance sticker on the back - $2.97 - plus it was from the store where the mom worked so she got a discount off that . I still have it tucked away among my christmas accumulation and I still laugh every time I see it.
SignMeUp 12:59 PM 12-05-2014
My funniest gift was the snowblower that one family loudly proclaimed at our holiday party, that they were giving me.

Going out to shovel the snow now (not really, we don't have any fresh, but I will be shoveling the next snowfall)
Josiegirl 02:19 PM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Me too and I haven't quite figured out why. I usually do receive gifts from most of the parents but I almost wish they'd do something for the wonderful group of kids I have instead. I truly appreciate all the respect and gifts and just everything they do for me but the receiving gifts does make me feel awkward.
Laurel 02:38 PM 12-05-2014
It varied over the years. The first years I did get something. Then later groups some would give me something and nothing from some. One year no one gave me anything. I always give the children something nice as a 'thank you for your business' type of gift.

Laurel
midaycare 02:49 PM 12-05-2014
Such an interesting range of gifts and also interesting the range of those who give and those who don't.
sahm1225 05:03 PM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
My funniest gift was the snowblower that one family loudly proclaimed at our holiday party, that they were giving me.

Going out to shovel the snow now (not really, we don't have any fresh, but I will be shoveling the next snowfall)
Wait, did they not give you one ??
sahm1225 05:06 PM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Such an interesting range of gifts and also interesting the range of those who give and those who don't.
I've been very spoied from my families. I think allost every family gets me something. I feel bad but part of me looks forward to it every year. I always use the money to buy the daycare something nice that I wouldn't normally buy.

Ive kept every card I've received and if I'm having a bad day, I read them to remind me how awesome I am!
MotherNature 07:17 PM 12-05-2014
Nope- some homemade cookies from one family nd some last minute store bought cookies from another...I have celiac disease and can't eat them. Yes, they know I'm gluten free and dairy free.
momofboys 08:02 PM 12-05-2014
Most families have given me $50 gift cards, some nothing. I am always surprised with the nothings. I just can't imagine NOT getting your child's provider at least a heart-felt card. I am not concerned about the $$$ but as someone else posted I like the heart-felt notes. One year a family told me their gift was in the envelope. It was a Christmas photo card. Not sure why they called it a gift LOL!
SignMeUp 08:59 PM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Wait, did they not give you one ??
Nope
Of course I would never expect a gift like that, but how strange is it to make an announcement like that? It was embarrassing too.
Luvnmykidz 09:05 PM 12-05-2014
I am not nor do I ever expect gifts from my dcp's. It is really nice to receive them though. This is my 1st year licensed and so far I've received a dozen roses for Mother's Day, A few cases of baby wipes ( I supply wipes and diapers), a $25 Visa gift card ( from a short term summer school ager family only needing 2 weeks of care), and an upright freezer (early Christmas) I premake most of my daycare meals and this has been a great addition already. I have had some really sorry families in such a short time and have been able to weed them out and keep as well as enroll more great families. My drop in and some part time families can sometimes be a bit much, but my full time and 1 particular part time family are so awesome and considerate. They say thank you every single day and encourage their children to do the same. They enjoy spending time with their children and are for the most part really good act backing me up or correcting behaviors immediately and follow policies all of the time. I am truly blessed and thankful
Tags:christmas - gift exchange, christmas gifts parents
Reply Up