Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bored Outside
Unregistered 09:39 PM 03-12-2018
I have a group of young toddlers (15-17 months) who are bored and crying to go back inside after 15 minutes outside. The weather is just now nice enough to spend any significant amount of time outside and I want to take advantage. I know they need it (and so do I). I thought they’d be excited to play outside but they jus lose interest. How can I get them to enjoy it? They are still too young for structured games but I do have play equipment. I have a house, slide, picnic table, cars, balls, etc. What do you do to keep little ones engaged outdoors?
Michael 10:30 PM 03-12-2018
Welcome to the forum. Here are some more threads on infant outdoor activities: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...oor+activities
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 03-13-2018
Not sure how warm it is where you are but if you have a sandbox and a little water, plus some play dishes, scoopers, that would do it for my little ones. Bring things outside such as Little People and dinosaurs, etc.
We were down to mud a couple weeks ago and now we're back to snow. My 18 mo roams around eating snow. Yuck.
daycarediva 03:00 AM 03-13-2018
BUBBLES! Anything loud (musical instruments? pots and pans?) sensory-pp said sand, gravel, dirt, small manipulatives.

I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.

What's their favorite thing inside?
Play Care 03:10 AM 03-13-2018
I take them on walks. I do bring a double stroller but encourage all the kids to walk as much as they can. Some of my neighbors have chickens that we go visit (we stay off their property at the fence line) and there are other interesting sights throughout the neighborhood. It helps keeps up outside for longer, and they really get some good exercise.
ColorfulSunburst 06:09 PM 03-13-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a group of young toddlers (15-17 months) who are bored and crying to go back inside after 15 minutes outside. The weather is just now nice enough to spend any significant amount of time outside and I want to take advantage. I know they need it (and so do I). I thought they’d be excited to play outside but they jus lose interest. How can I get them to enjoy it? They are still too young for structured games but I do have play equipment. I have a house, slide, picnic table, cars, balls, etc. What do you do to keep little ones engaged outdoors?
let me ask you:What do you do to keep little ones engaged outdoors?
Jdy2222 07:02 PM 03-13-2018
Mine are also young. Currently they're very into the sandbox (water table with sand) and slides. I don't keep a lot of stuff outside, just the slide climbers, water table, a house, a rock garden, and a bunch of tree discs/stumps. Fewer things seem to keep them from feeling like they have to "do it all" and they get very engaged in what they're doing.
Unregistered 08:02 PM 03-13-2018
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
let me ask you:What do you do to keep little ones engaged outdoors?
I help them slide, play around the house, name things they pick up, cheer when they put the ball through the hoop, etc etc... I feel like I’m doing all I can to help them stay engaged. I’m also spending time running all around making sure each one is safe since they scatter, though.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
ColorfulSunburst 05:09 PM 03-14-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I help them slide, play around the house, name things they pick up, cheer when they put the ball through the hoop, etc etc... I feel like I’m doing all I can to help them stay engaged. I’m also spending time running all around making sure each one is safe since they scatter, though.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
Please, do not take an offence but you do not offer as a teacher any activities to kids. It is a reason why they get bored. They are too little to create any activities that will keep them busy long time.
If you know that they can play 10-15 mins - let them do it. Then organize some activities for the next 5-10-15 mins and then allow them play 10-15 mins by themselves... rinse and repeat.

1. stepping over sticks
2. picking up yellow and red LEGO blocks and putting them into red and yellow containers / bring to you only blue blocks /build together a tall colorful/white/blue tower....
3. walking on a balance beam (it can be just a long and narrow chipboard on the ground)
4. throwing balls into carton boxes and then counting how many each box has
5. signing action songs (our favorite is Baby shark and walking in the jungle)
6. Crawling through the tunnel
7. walking by follow to arrows on the ground.
8. walking as frog, duck, spider, bunny....
9. give them tiny containers (cup, deep spoons, big LEGO blocks...) and ask to move water from one big container to other/ move water from container with yellow water and container with blue water into third container. yellow+ blue will make green color ...

Just be creative. Check Pinterest, google activities for infants and toddlers. Your kids will learn a lot, get very tired and hungry. You will not have any issues with lunch and nap.
Unregistered 05:55 PM 03-14-2018
More great ideas! Thanks!
MrsJ 05:14 AM 03-15-2018
How much space do you have? When you say they scatter does this mean they travel a distance? Creating boundaries between some of the activities or keeping them in general zones has helped a little. We put the sandbox in an area and and a small fence to the back. It gives them the idea to stay in the general area a little longer. I try to get them to focus on one space at a time and also separate a game time from free play time.
Pestle 05:30 AM 03-15-2018
Ride-on toys, balls, chalk, bubbles, and scoops keep these kids occupied. I don't lead them in activities unless somebody's getting fussy; then I'll do a song and dance in a circle like "The Horses Run Around" or "The Elephant Song." The older they get, the more they just wanna play with mud and sticks. The younger they are, the more time I have to spend digging pebbles and slugs out of their mouths. Really glad I just have one that does that these days.
Tags:infant - outdoor activities
Reply Up