Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Grocery Delivery
Pestle 07:33 AM 04-24-2018
Instacart/Peapod/AmazonFresh/whatever. . . does anybody use one of these services?

I'm trying Instacart. I'm hoping it'll save me two shopping trips a week, give me more time at home for housework, and keep me from throwing random treats into my buggy. Seems like that's worth the delivery fee and slightly higher prices.
Pestle 08:42 AM 04-24-2018
So far, the guy assembling my order has made a replacement for:
-The bananas (okay, fine)
-The grapes I actually like to eat (disappointing)
-The pregnancy test (ominous)
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:49 AM 04-24-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
What do you mean made a replacement for? Like picked out something else for you or just got it wrong? Getting it wrong is forgivable to a point, but just replacing things?! I don't know if I'd like that at all.
Mike 08:51 AM 04-24-2018
We have a nearby Superstore that lets you shop online then go pick up your order. My sister does that all the time.
LittleScholars 08:52 AM 04-24-2018
Instacart/Peapod/AmazonFresh/whatever. . . does anybody use one of these services?

I'm trying Instacart. I'm hoping it'll save me two shopping trips a week, give me more time at home for housework, and keep me from throwing random treats into my buggy. Seems like that's worth the delivery fee and slightly higher prices.
I love this thread. I'm trying to automate my life as much as possible right now.

Instacart isn't working for me yet, but that's really a problem with my local store. They are always out of so many things making the service really annoying. I did go through the trouble of filling my instacart and then price matching the actual store prices. As they say on review sites, some were lower, some were higher and it really did come out to be about the same. There were a few items that were much higher through instacart, but it generally balanced out.

In case this is helpful, some other things that are currently working for me:
-Walmart pick up: so far, so good in my area. I'm afraid it will go downhill fast, but they are prompt, organized and replace items with sensible things at the same price. I've used other store pick ups and they replaced my items with odd things and charged me the difference. Since I often buy the generic brand, this has really worked in my favor so far.

-Amazon subscribe and save: all paper products, tea, diapers, diaper cream, and pretty much anything offered through the service comes to me via amazon. I save a bunch by ordering more and the prices are really competitive. For the brands I buy, I haven't really found lower prices.

-Boxed- I don't use this but a good friend does. If you are a name brand person you can get great deals on bulk items. She orders her non-perishables through this site and just runs into the store for meat, produce, and dairy.

I'm interested in what others use!
Ac114 09:20 AM 04-24-2018
I have used shipt where they deliver the groceries for you. I like it because the person is to text you when something needs replaced and will ask what you want instead. They up charge on al the groceries by a few cents and then you have to tip so I only use it when I’m in a pinch.

I have used online shopping for Walmart and Kroger. Walmart substitutes the weirdest stuff so if I have to use them I request no substitutions. Kroger is overall better with substitutions. I purchased a 35.00 pack of New York strip steaks, they added another one FOR FREE because they were out of their seasoned chicken quarters (they are only 5.99 a pack) so I was very pleased to have 4 extra nice steaks!

I love using the online ordering because I can budget better and get what I really need. The only down fall... I actually like going into the store. It’s like vacation for me ����
LysesKids 09:26 AM 04-24-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
What do you mean made a replacement for? Like picked out something else for you or just got it wrong? Getting it wrong is forgivable to a point, but just replacing things?! I don't know if I'd like that at all.
They will replace with another fruit (with permission) if the fruit you want is out or doesn't look good. Instacart people will also replace other stuff with a similar item if your pick is out & will ask if it's ok; I always wrote in the notes before sending the list if a replacement was allowed or if I wanted refund for item not gotten. Saves time from texting back & forth.
MomBoss 09:38 AM 04-24-2018
I use instacart at least twice a week. I pay for a monthly delivery fee so im not paying the 5.99 everytime. Its an okay service. I use it mainly for daycare things or when im just too lazy to go out after working all day. The replacements can be changed or refunded.
Pestle 11:07 AM 04-24-2018
Well, it mostly worked out. I'm not knocked up, which is good and I'll just blame my dynamo stuntman baby for stressing me out so much that my entire body is out of whack. The out-of-stock bag of bananas was replaced with just three bananas, which is kind annoying but not anything like those horror stories from England about the baby wipes getting replaced with whiskey and the baking tray replaced with a bag of marshmallows.
Jdy2222 02:51 PM 04-24-2018
I use Shipt and LOVE it. To me the time I save is well worth the cost of the service. I have three local grocery stores to shop from so I can price compare what I need and order from the best choice ... and totally avoid traffic.

An added plus is that I am getting less take out or pizza delivery for my family because I can order dinner in the morning ingredients and have it all arrive in time to prepare. So really I'm covering the cost of the service right there.

My college son often complains that he doesn't live somewhere that has Amazon 2 hour delivery, so when I told him I ordered paper towels and they were delivered two hours later he was super impressed.
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 04-25-2018
.......and?
Snowmom 07:20 AM 04-25-2018
I use delivery every.single.week.

I hate shopping for groceries. Mostly because I hate unloading them!

Out here (MN) I use Coborn's delivers 90% of the time. They do a better job of picking out the nest produce than I do. You can use coupons online (give them to the driver at drop off) and they have really good sales & specials. Plus with their emails, they give you a code for a "free item of the week".

The other 10% of the time I use Hyvee delivery service. I don't like their produce as well and their totals online never match what the actual total is and they run out (substitute) a lot.

Now that Target has Shipt, I might start using that. Although I do use Target's drive up service frequently- where you order online then park in the pick up spot.

Amazon is suppose to start food service here soon. I am excited to try that!
Pestle 10:28 AM 04-25-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
.......and?
I'm just very, very late!
Ariana 11:03 AM 04-25-2018
I found ordering it online plus all of the replacements (after the fact and after all the time was wasted when I could have chosen something else myself) to be more time consuming than actually going to the grocery store! I did it twice and never again.
CityGarden 12:37 PM 04-25-2018
I love Instacart and used to use them all the time. The first time I used them my dd was very sick and as a single mom she was too young to leave but truly to sick to come with me.... Instacart to save the day!!! I never got into the rhythm of menu planning and shopping for the week (in person or with Instacart) but I think I will give it a go again. My only complaint with Instcart was there are a lot of items at Trader Joes we like and Instacart does not shop there...

For those who have used both how does Instacart compare to Amazon Fresh?

I have been using meal prep kits since September and have become addicted. I use SunBasket and Plated both have their strengths (I can email discount codes for both --- I think I have a few left.) We use them three nights a week and it is helping me to visually learn portion sizes, helping us not eat out as much, it has opened my eyes to new flavors and cooking techniques, is much less grocery waste, saves me money, etc. then I go to Trader Joes for lunch items and to fill in dinner groceries with family favorite the nights we don't have Sun Basket/Plated meals. Huge bonus is my dd is very excited and engaged in healthy eating with it and she feels like it's a gift that arrives each week.
flying_babyb 05:09 PM 12-07-2020
walmart- weird substitutions
My $3 tree skirt was out of stock, so they sent me a $24 one for the same price
Ordered a 12inch wreath and got a 24in one for the same price!

Insta cart-
Love it! they awalys ask what i want, and are on time most of the time
284878 07:26 PM 12-07-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
walmart- weird substitutions
My $3 tree skirt was out of stock, so they sent me a $24 one for the same price
Ordered a 12inch wreath and got a 24in one for the same price!

Insta cart-
Love it! they awalys ask what i want, and are on time most of the time

My local store uses shipt. I got charged for a bunch of Brussel sprouts when I ordered and received 2 radishes. a free pineapple because online would not allow me to add it to my order so the shopper "grabbed it for me on the way out the door" - I am not sure if he paid for it or stole it. One gave me mango applesauce, I did not order it or get charged for it. I think that she may have shopped for more than one at a time.

My last shopper got my order 100% correct for the items that were available. However, the system went down and she could not check out the order. I got a hold of the store after 30 mins and got permission to send someone to go get it. I did call and she did get paid for it.
Tags:grocery, grocery delivery
Reply Up